Newbie Question about Dumont

thegreatconnito

Hello Everyone, I have a few questions about Dumont. I am visiting Dumont for the first time and just wanted to do a little hiking on the dunes. I am from LA and will be visiting Las Vegas but I wanted to drive up to Dumont before hitting Las Vegas.

1) How early do riders get to Dumont usually? If I got there about 10am would there be crowds that early in the morning on a Tuesday?

2) If I went next week, how hot does it usually get before noon?

3) I am driving a Honda CRV, is that enough clearance for the highway from Baker, CA to the dunes?

4) When I google map directions from Dumont to Las Vegas, it tells me to take the 127 to the Old Spanish Trail Highway, to the 160, then finally to the 15. Is this a wise route or would it more sense to backtrack to Baker and head to Vegas on the 15? I have never been in that area so I have no idea how the roads are.

Any other tips would be great. Thanks for reading my questions! :D

Hike the dunes?

somebody wanna help this guy?

Lots of bikes for sale on here! :blink::dunno:

No really, Hikeing sucks in the sand! It shouldn't be too busy this weekend. by ten you should start running,.. FAST! LoL

And I think dunefreak said it best, "they don't call it death valley for nothing". Next weekend forcast,..120, hot..damn HOT!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mr.SandyBrownJeans

Welcome to the site.

There is quite a bit of info currently on the homepage and the info page is always helpful for first timers.

1) Riders get there at all kinds of hours of the day. It depends on the time of year though. Right now at this time of year you will be lucky to see anyone there on a TUESDAY morning. :laughoff:

2) Check the weather link above the forum. It will probably be upwards of 110+ after next week but no hotter than peobably 80's or 90's before noon. When I go during teh HOTTEST time of the year I get there abou 5:30 AM and leave about 10 AM. Thats when it starts to really get hot. Remember this is in July though.

3) Honda CRV is fine for teh highway AND teh entrance road. You can get there in a Civic if you wanted to. Just stay away from parking very close to the dunes because it can get soft.

4) Easiest route is I15 to Baker, then 127 to Dumont. Especially if you have never been down teh Old Spanish Trail Hwy or thru Tecopa. More directions and map on this page.

towns_map.jpg

Good luck with that hike! :blink::dunno: