Driving directions to Big Bear Lake

bp-guy

I am leaving tomorrow to Big Bear and would like to know if anyone has a faster route other than what Mapquest gives me. I was told there is a back route that has a full freeway up there as opposed to a 2 lane road.

My wife gets motion sickness pretty easy so that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Here is the Mapquest route from San Diego-

15 to 215

215 to 10

10 to 30

30 to 330

330 to 18

18 to Big Bear

Miles- 151 Time- 2 hours 50 minutes

Thanks

Tim

i have been thatway to go to lake arrowhead up the 18.. i think thats the only way up there.. If you want to have some fun and go 4 wheelin i know of this kick a$$ fireroad that runs down the backside of the mountain lol.. Looking at google maps. it looks like 330/18 is the only way to big bear lake

How are the roads? bunch of turns or fairly straight?

Thanks for the fast replies.

Hey Nick, as you can see I got my computer all virus free and running again. Thanks for the help.

Edited by bp-guy

How are the roads? bunch of turns or fairly straight?

Thanks for the fast replies.

Hey Nick, as you can see I got my computer all virus free and running again. Thanks for the help.

Bunch of windy turns on 18. My daughter got sick last time. :lol:

Best way for you would be 15n 215n 10e 30 towards highland exit san bernardino ave, go straight through san bernardino ave to lugonia turn left lugonia turns into state rte 38 right up to big bear, its the way we get our cranes up there when needed. Stop by barton flats (just past angelus oaks) for a beer were camping up there fri night. It's by FAR the straightest route. You will come in on airport side of town (east) :lol:

Best way for you would be 15n 215n 10e 30 towards highland exit san bernardino ave, go straight through san bernardino ave to lugonia turn left lugonia turns into state rte 38 right up to big bear, its the way we get our cranes up there when needed. Stop by barton flats (just past angelus oaks) for a beer were camping up there fri night. It's by FAR the straightest route. You will come in on airport side of town (east) :lol:

That's the route I was looking for. Thanks :lol:

You're probably already enroute (or there) but FYI you can skip the 10 altogether. Just take the 215 N thru San Berdoo to the 30 E, then either go via the 38 or the 330/18 into Big Bear. FWIW I think the 330/18 route is quicker, the 38 route takes you around Rim of the World into Big Bear and is a longer route but less twisty-turny. Whichever way you go, you're still climbing to about 7000' on two-lane roads (at some point).

You're probably already enroute (or there) but FYI you can skip the 10 altogether. Just take the 215 N thru San Berdoo to the 30 E, then either go via the 38 or the 330/18 into Big Bear. FWIW I think the 330/18 route is quicker, the 38 route takes you around Rim of the World into Big Bear and is a longer route but less twisty-turny. Whichever way you go, you're still climbing to about 7000' on two-lane roads (at some point).

That would add about 10 miles if the 38 was the route, you are speaking of the 18 ;)