questions about grant money?

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons we have fees or our fee's went up is because we lost our grant money or maybe never had any...

well now that we do, why didn't fees go down?

p.s. i got a laugh outta the part telling us to look both ways before we PARK AND WALK over to the machines....

That would have been a good question to bring up at the last TRT meeting. I know the helipad was expected, but the "resident pads" were kind of a suprise to some of us. Those cost quite a bit of money. I'm pretty sure the grant money had to be used towards a particlar use like "maintenance" or whatever, but I also thought that if grant money was raised this year there was talk about our fees going back down if it helped the budget out. :grin:

...just another reason you guys should all try and make these meetings. It helps to brainstorn on public forums, but it gets nothing done unless it is brought up to the BLM.

I wish I could answer that for you, Brian. Good question. :dumbass:

Grant money cannot be used for anything other than for which it was asked for and approved for. I.E. Law enforcement grants were not given out and that is our biggest expense. As far as the pads I also thought they are a little overkill but in order to get people to take the O/T and the duty I guess they have to have a couple "special" items. I believe in the long run it will organize the LEO/BLM area but I am not saying it was money well spent.

If we get Law Enforcement grants and maint. grants we could look at the #'s and see if we can reduce the fees. But keep in mind we only came up with $14,000.00 over the expenses for last season. That's cutting it pretty close.

If user traffic is down due to slowdowns in the ecomomy it will still cost pretty much the same to run Dumont but with less income from pass sales. It is pretty much a wait and see item at this point. But Pete is right about people showing up to these meetings and letting their voices be heard.

I asked Ms. Trost about the grant money for this season and she told me that Dumont Dunes got 0 dollars for the second year in a row for Operations and Maintenance. The BLM is hopeful due to the reworking of the way grant money is awarded that they will do better next year. :grin:

I do remember hearing about that at the meeting.. THat there were NO grants awarded this year however next years budget will allow for someone to come in and ask for grants so maybe we will have a shot for next season.. :D