Short/King Rails

sandawg

I am curious about the durability and driveablity of one of these "short" sandrails. I am used to a regular VW trans that when built properly can withstand "slam" shifting. If I am correct these rigs have a MC Tranny and are like 5 or 6 speeds, When shooting the hill, do require a lot of quick shifting to stay moving to get up to optimum RPM range for HP. How about trail rides, I'm used to only an offarional shift to stay up with the others.

All information from these car owners will be appreciated as I am considering getting one from one of the members. :beercheers:

Thanks

Both are very good cars.

I have a Short and love mine. The shifting is very quick and almost like shifting a 2 stroke (at times). It's a rush. The power to weight ratio is amazing even with a stock Hayabusa motor. They are extremely reliable engine/ transmissions. BTW, a motorcycle engine/ trans is all one unit.

They aren't much of a trail type car since they love high RPMs and most of these cars don't have reverse. They still make great torque though and cruise very well at a decent speed since they are 6 speed trannys.

It all depends on your driving style and where you plan to drive it.

Here's more on my car if you'd like to check it out. http://www.dumontduneriders.com/ssc_buildup.html

If you are interested in having a Short Sand Car built, I'd recommend some of the added braces and stronger tubing like I went with along with the upgraded spindles. Most their cars are plenty sufficient for most duners, but I drive hard and require some beefed up stuff. ;)

King builds great cars as well. They have made many improvements to their cars over the years and build a very good sandcar as well. :lol: There are lots of good deals on some used ones right now. Check GlamisDunes.com buggies for sale.

I've owned a Short car (3 total) for the past 6 years and have many hours behind the wheel of these things. Just let me know if ya got any more questions. Chances are I can answer them. :beercheers:

really depends on how you set them up, if your looking for trails, i'd suggest the reverse diff and a turning break, also a little lower gearing. If you go with the short, have him install the extra bracing for the b pillars, if you go with the king, not much you can change, he's been at it long enough to have pretty much perfected his design..