Fringe Toed Lizard conservation plan for OHVs at Dumont Dunes

FTL_thumb.jpg

This is a very serious concern, everyone. Please read up on this and become familair with what is going on right now.

As many of you know, the fringe toed lizard has been under very close watch by environmental groups and agencies. This lizard lives at Dumont Dunes, mostly in the surrounding areas where vegetation and brush are present. It is extremely important that we, as responsible duners, work together on this issue with a very proactive approach to help protect the lizard and keep Dumont Dunes open for us OHV riders. Rather than U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service listing the lizard as endangered (which could possibly result in a permanent closure of Dumont Dunes), the agencies are discussing the possibility of writing and agreeing to a conservation plan for the lizard. This conservation plan would protect the lizard from OHVs while keeping the dunes open to duners of Dumont. Working with the BLM and FWS will be a positive step in a direction that will support the conservation plan.

Read more here...

http://www.dumontduneriders.com/FTL/

Those who think they might be able to bring forward a positive, proactive attitude and voice towards this issue are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to attend this meeting.

If you feel that lizards are stupid and we don't need them, you shouldn't even be at Dumont Dunes or on this site. In order to ride and enjoy Dumont Dunes, we must work together on this and respect the wildlife and the conservation plan. With responsibility , OHV and wildlife CAN co-exist!

The meeting

1:00 pm, July 29th, 2008

Barstow, CA BLM Field Office

Working with the BLM and FWS to participate in developing the plan, and to show them we can and will support the plan once its complete.

wow.....i thought the FWS had a count and said there were several thousand of them??? :barf:

It would be good to toss around some ideas......some non-smartass, realistic ideas that we could honestly help inact while in dumont.

i think the riding out of bounds deal is a good start...although, i have seen BLM and ranger vehicles STUCK out of bounds, and several vehicles, including the tractor @ the camp hosts site barraging through the brush to go get them....

Pete, thanks for putting this out there. I can't tell you how important this meeting is going to be. The BLM and other agencies want OUR imput on how we as a user group can help keep this from going any further than a conservation plan.

I will be there and I urge all others who have a concern and Positive comments toward educating the public, how to eliminate out of bound intrusions and ideas to bring the dune user's together on this should be at this meeting. Please add it to your schedule and make an appearence.

Terry

If its so important and they want the public to get involved WHY do the schedule them for the middle of the week in the MIDDLE of the afternoon.. I bet they do that so it looks like no one cares cuz not everyone can make it..

If its so important and they want the public to get involved WHY do the schedule them for the middle of the week in the MIDDLE of the afternoon.. I bet they do that so it looks like no one cares cuz not everyone can make it..

good point Nick...Terry...is there any way we can petition to move the meeting to a weekend, or offset this meeting until the sept meeting that is already on a Saturday???

I do not mean to step on toes here, but 3 weeks notice about this meeting? or has this meeting with the Wildlife been planned for awhile??

The truth of the matter is that these are all Goverment workers who work on weekdays not weekends. This invitation was made as a courtesy to the users. Do you want your fee demo money going to pay these Govt. employees O/T and per diem travel time. This is a courtesy to us not our requirements of them! They will have this meeting with or without us and they have graciouslly offerred to let us have some input, for that I am grateful for the invite. Notice was put out last week as to this meeting and it was discussed among TRT/FODD,DDR and DSD.com as to wether we wanted to put it out for general attendance. We want/need to come over at this meeting as concerned duners and caretakers of this special place. If we have a b*tch session the Fish and Wildlife Service who are not used to dealing with "typical" duners will have a bad impression. Not saying that the "typical" duner leaves a bad impression I am just saying that we want to put our best foot forward at this meeting and provide good info to these govt. folks that we care for Dumont and want to be involved in it's future.

• 2 weeks later...

the meeting is at the same place that it was back in November?? on barstow Blvd south of the 15???

and do we need to bring 8 backs for lunch too??

From my understanding- YES.

As for lunch I doubt we will be doing lunch there at the meeting since it is at 1:00. (wouldn't you have 8 bucks on hand regardless though? :headbang1: )

Jason, are you off the whole day on Tuesday? (no school this time of year right?) We should meet up for breakfast or lunch that day before the meeting. I decided I am heading into Barstow Mon night and staying at Woody's place. That way I can make the drive more worth-while ya know and hang out with Woods. :headbang1:

From my understanding- YES.

As for lunch I doubt we will be doing lunch there at the meeting since it is at 1:00. (wouldn't you have 8 bucks on hand regardless though? :banghead: )

Jason, are you off the whole day on Tuesday? (no school this time of year right?) We should meet up for breakfast or lunch that day before the meeting. I decided I am heading into Barstow Mon night and staying at Woody's place. That way I can make the drive more worth-while ya know and hang out with Woods. :headbang1:

i just gotta drop string off @ kindergarten readiness around 8 ish, and i can be in barstow about 10:30

I've never been to a meeting and this one looks like a good start so I'll do my best. If anyone want's to ride along let me know.... I'm sure I can get the day off we are pretty slow at work right know.

(smoker friendly truck, come on Nick! LOL)

:laughoff:

Edited by indasand

My shift starts at noon.. Ill see what i can do.

Your the only smoker I know besides that a-hole Warrior LOL

anyways...... I got the day off so I am in!!!!!!!!!

I need an address for my GPS.................. Never been there...

where the F is Barstow? Do people actually live there? ha ha ha

Your the only smoker I know besides that a-hole Warrior LOL

anyways...... I got the day off so I am in!!!!!!!!!

I need an address for my GPS.................. Never been there...

where the F is Barstow? Do people actually live there? ha ha ha

google is your friend

Bureau of Land Management

Barstow Field Office

2601 Barstow Road

Barstow, CA 92311

Phone: (760) 252-6000

Fax: (760) 252-6098

with as much as a post whore you are, i thought you could use a computer :laughoff::laughing:

Edited by richard cheese

Very cool, Brian. Glad you are gonna make it. :laughoff:

I'm really hoping that on the 29th we can all make a very positive impact with the conservation plan and keep Dumont free of future closures. I'm sure we can though. William Presch seems to be a good guy and seems like he is very open minded with the OHV'ers.

im not an enviro but i think that every living thing deserves a chance at life

how many of us ride in the vegitation??

how many of us have seen the lizard??

there is no way that this lizard can only be at dumont dunes

if thats the case theyre done for

with all the desert surrounding dumont wouldnt there be lizards out there?

we ride wut like 1/10,000 of the desert...so y out of all the desert would these lizards make their home on the outskirts of the dunes with all the noise when they can make a nice home 2 miles out under a nice plant

i think the reason is because they like the rumble of us ridin through

wut would give them reason to stay?

if a nuclear bombs gonna fall on the US u bet ur @$$ im gettin the FU$K out

so these lizards see giant people ridin through wouldnt they leave as well?

just thinkin out loud

id go to the meeting but i got too much $H!+ goin on now

im not an enviro but i think that every living thing deserves a chance at life

how many of us ride in the vegitation??

how many of us have seen the lizard??

there is no way that this lizard can only be at dumont dunes

if thats the case theyre done for

with all the desert surrounding dumont wouldnt there be lizards out there?

we ride wut like 1/10,000 of the desert...so y out of all the desert would these lizards make their home on the outskirts of the dunes with all the noise when they can make a nice home 2 miles out under a nice plant

i think the reason is because they like the rumble of us ridin through

wut would give them reason to stay?

if a nuclear bombs gonna fall on the US u bet ur @$$ im gettin the FU$K out

so these lizards see giant people ridin through wouldnt they leave as well?

just thinkin out loud

id go to the meeting but i got too much $H!+ goin on now

:flipoff::beercheers::whistle: