Fringe Toed Lizard conservation plan for OHVs at Dumont Dunes

Well Chit! Had I been paying better attention, I would had driven down with someone with me and taken 200 lbs. of crushed cans to turn in to the locate recycling center and gone to the meeting. Damn it! :blah:

:?: :clown: This thread isn't about recycling! :blah::beercheers:

so......Anywayyyyys......

Barstow pretty much sucks but it's cool to be hanging out with Woody and OGP. I'm just waiting for richard cheese, ynot, and indasand to get in town. We're gonna grab some grub and then head over to the meeting. We'll definitley keep you posted on what happens, everyone. ;)

Just got in after a long and very boring drive from Barstow. :laughing:

Anyways here how it went today. I'll do my best to summarize it. Terry (ynot) and everyone else there today can add what they think is worth mentioning from the meeting.

The meeting went really well. The BLM and William Presch are definitely working hard on this IN OUR FAVOR. It's looking good. We brought a bunch of good ideas to the BLM today which they were happy to hear from us. They were all ideas to help educate Dumont users about the critical habitat areas and to help keep duners from going into these areas. Other grant money and reserves will be used for this important item instead.

The BLM is already planning on putting up a cable and post fence before the railroad burm out to the northeast of the dunes to keep people from going past this area. Note: this does NOT affect where we already ride and the cost of the fencing project will NOT be taken out of our fee money.

The data from William Presch's studies was submitted to US Fish & Wildlife for review. Recently he has been studying the population of the lizard and how distinct it is in and around Dumont Dunes. I believe his findings actually ended up being in our favor. The only traces of Fringe Toed lizards in or around Dumont were in areas where we already do not ride. The lizard resides in areas of vegetation and only in a certain grain of sand (different from that of the dunes we ride on). So what this all means is that the lizard is basically not threatened by OHV's unless we go out of bounds into the areas where it lives.

Between the lizard data present by Bill Presch and the conservation efforts that the BLM and we, as duners, are willing to make, hopefully the US Fish and Wildlife will not list the lizard as a distinct population or endangered species. The BLM stated that it will be another 6-12 months before US Fish & Wildlife actually finalize their decision. :laughing: It's looking good though. I really don't think it will get listed.

Everyone REALLY needs to help with this by staying in bounds. We can't stress that enough. It's not even that hard to do. There's no reason to ride out there anyways. It just tears up your paddles anyhow.

Thanks Pete.. Just to add a bit the BLM stated that they would be adding more staff to help patrol the out of bounds area if needed. And it sure seems to me that education is the key. We really need to get the word out there to stay in the designated riding areas. There was some discusion on how to do this but I'll save that for a different post / time. I'll just say that OGP had some great ideas and they were taking notes. It was nice to be a part of my first meeting @ the BLM. They really do look at us (F.O.D.D. & D.D.R.) for the "voice" of the riding community of Dumont. Or at least that was my impression...

B

Edited by indasand

Thanks Pete.. Just to add a bit the BLM stated that they would be adding more staff to help patrol the out of bounds area if needed. And it sure seems to me that education is the key. We really need to get the word out there to stay in the designated riding areas. There was some discusion on how to do this but I'll save that for a different post / time. I'll just say that OGP had some great ideas and they were taking notes. It was nice to be a part of my first meeting @ the BLM. They really do look at us (F.O.D.D. & D.D.R.) for the "voice" of the riding community of Dumont. Or at least that was my impression...

B

nice to see you helping out :laughing: education you can bring but the azzhats need to learn and retain it !!! :laughing:

I didn't really help i don't think... just was a learning experience for me...

Yes you did Brian...just by being there. Just showing up shows the BLM we care and we support our riding areas. :laughing: They really appreciate when duners show up...mostly for the reason you said, a learning experience.

Well it sounds like it went well today. Im very glad to hear it. Sounds like its going to be a long process before anything definate happens. That could work in our favor. We definately all need to try and educate other duners when we are out and about. This website has so many people, and if we all just talk to people in the duning community when we are out there, could make a huge impact. Theres always going to be the :laughing: that dont wanna listen. But I think for the most part, most duners are responsible and want to keep their riding areas open.

Ill be adding some things to my signature on here, as well as adding some things to my myspace page. (yeah I know, you all hate myspace) Just another forum to get the word out to dune responsibly and stay in designated riding areas.

I wanna say thanks to all that took the time to go down to the meeting!!!! :laughing:

Well it sounds like it went well today. Im very glad to hear it. Sounds like its going to be a long process before anything definate happens. That could work in our favor. We definately all need to try and educate other duners when we are out and about. This website has so many people, and if we all just talk to people in the duning community when we are out there, could make a huge impact. Theres always going to be the :laughing: that dont wanna listen. But I think for the most part, most duners are responsible and want to keep their riding areas open.

Ill be adding some things to my signature on here, as well as adding some things to my myspace page. (yeah I know, you all hate myspace) Just another forum to get the word out to dune responsibly and stay in designated riding areas.

I wanna say thanks to all that took the time to go down to the meeting!!!! :laughing:

I had an idea for web banners for signatures, myspace pages, websites etc. I am going to make a couple different banners in different sizes, shapes, and colors etc and put them all on one page on the site with a copy/ paste code that everyone can use for wherever they'd like to link the banner(s). :flipoff:

I had an idea for web banners for signatures, myspace pages, websites etc. I am going to make a couple different banners in different sizes, shapes, and colors etc and put them all on one page on the site with a copy/ paste code that everyone can use for wherever they'd like to link the banner(s). :laughing:

ddr needs a my space page :laughing: just to reach duners that don't reach ddr but that do reach myspace just a thought :flipoff:

I had an idea for web banners for signatures, myspace pages, websites etc. I am going to make a couple different banners in different sizes, shapes, and colors etc and put them all on one page on the site with a copy/ paste code that everyone can use for wherever they'd like to link the banner(s). :laughing:

That would help me alot actually. Thought I could just copy and paste some info with photos from here for myspace, not working so well. I appreciate it. Im willing to do whatever it takes to keep our dunes open!

ddr needs a my space page :laughing: just to reach duners that don't reach ddr but that do reach myspace just a thought :flipoff:

If they can reach myspace and they are a duner, then they can reach this site. I'm not building a friggen DDR myspace page. That's retarded. :laughing: Besides the info is already on this site for duners to see. Just put up DDR's link on your pages. The important info and links are listed on our homepage. They don't even need to be a forum member to access it all.