Ricky Stator

Sandfrk33

On super bowl weekend, I switched my stock stator on my banshee to a new 200w ricky stator stator. Went for the first ride and it quit on me. When I got back, I called them about the warranty. After talking to a few people, I guess this isn't an isolated incident. Anyone else ever had problems with ricky stator? What are other good brands?

On super bowl weekend, I switched my stock stator on my banshee to a new 200w ricky stator stator. Went for the first ride and it quit on me. When I got back, I called them about the warranty. After talking to a few people, I guess this isn't an isolated incident. Anyone else ever had problems with ricky stator? What are other good brands?

I have also heard bad things of them lately.... I hope they can get it turned around and back online.

I'm on my 3rd stator from Ricky ..... Luckly the last 2 have been under warranty(knock on wood)

From what i've read on another form a lot of people are having problems with their stators from Ricky stator.

I've heard Trail Tech, and Alba will rewind your stock stator, and RMATV has a kit if you want to do it yourself.

Sandfrk33, you said it quit on you, quit running/ignition or the light quit? Was it a new/aftermarket assembly or rewound lighting coils and your orig stator sent for a core? The lighting coils are an easy rewind, the trick to make them last is clear epoxy coat the coils so they don't vibrate and wear through the insulating coat and moisture proof. I made new coils for my LT 250 & 500, iron laminate core and windings and no problems for 10 years, the epoxy is the trick, regular not quick dry, too brittle and vibration cause little cracks thats not moisture proof.

post-1632-1234860299_thumb.jpg

Your banshee stator has 6 ignition source coils (green arrows) and 6 lighting coils (red arrows) and the higher wattage rewinds just use bigger gauge and wound in alternating directions (white arrows)

post-1632-1234860838_thumb.jpg

Add 1 of these (rectifier/regulator) and a small battery (some get by with a capacitor) and you can run an HID or 2, more light and uses less power.

post-1632-1234861271_thumb.jpg

Add 1 of these (rectifier/regulator) and a small battery (some get by with a capacitor) and you can run an HID or 2, more light and uses less power.

Have you done the HID conversion to your bikes? .... You wouldnt happen to have pics and a step by step would you??...

Have you done the HID conversion to your bikes? .... You wouldnt happen to have pics and a step by step would you??...

I have an HID on the LT500. 1, HIDs (and bikes, quads with a battery) must have DC power. 2, all ATVs, bikes etc have a stator (ALL stators are AC) and a regulator to shed voltage above 14V so your elect components don't fry OR elect start and some kick starts have a regulator/RECTIFIER that turns AC current to DC (Alternating Current to Direct Current). If your bike, quad has a battery simply replace the light with an HID (some have a capacitor in place of a battery like the '05 kick start CRF 450 quad), The LT 500 was the stator/regulator type so I had to put a regulator/RECTIFIER and battery BEFORE the HID was installed. I helped a friend put an HID setup on his Banshee that used a capacitor in place of a battery, he said it worked OK but I'd rather have a battery even if it's just 1 of the little dry cell pack that are sold with some HID kits. There you go, and some HIDs are EXPENSIVE and there's HID conversions for existing lights for under $75 w/lifetime warrantee for 2 lights, so you could get a couple halogen lights that have a light pattern you like (I've seen pairs of Hella at Walmart was around $70 +/- I think) and a HID conversion from someplace like DDM (Google it). Just remember HIDs Must have DC power.

Sandfrk33, you said it quit on you, quit running/ignition or the light quit? Was it a new/aftermarket assembly or rewound lighting coils and your orig stator sent for a core? The lighting coils are an easy rewind, the trick to make them last is clear epoxy coat the coils so they don't vibrate and wear through the insulating coat and moisture proof. I made new coils for my LT 250 & 500, iron laminate core and windings and no problems for 10 years, the epoxy is the trick, regular not quick dry, too brittle and vibration cause little cracks thats not moisture proof.

post-1632-1234860299_thumb.jpg

Your banshee stator has 6 ignition source coils (green arrows) and 6 lighting coils (red arrows) and the higher wattage rewinds just use bigger gauge and wound in alternating directions (white arrows)

post-1632-1234860838_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1234861271_thumb.jpg

It was kind of weird. I bought a brand new stator. It started right up, idled fine, lights worked but wouldn't rev past 1/2 throttle. At first it felt like it was running too rich. Checked out everything before I figured out it was the stator. Luckily I brought my stock unit just in case. RS told me to change my coil and wires before sending it back. Hand winding the coils seems a little too involved to me. Me and electricity don't work well together. Thanks for the suggestion though.

i have had rotten luck with anything electrical from stereo to cars and quads. i had to replace the stator in my warrior years ago and it went bad again a few years ago. replaced it with an oem unit so i didnt think it would have gone bad after just 3 years or so. after replacing everything but the stator including the pickup coil i finally replaced it again with a new unit from rm stator. it was hard as hell to start and never got a chance to ride the quad when i took it to the dunes. at least the company was cool about it. i sent it back to them and they said they put more ohmage in the pikup coil or something and sent it back. been running great since. bottom line, its a gamble on electrical but if the company stands behind thier product its all good. oh ya, my new pro com ignition box for my kfx 700 was bad too but they sent a new one without a hassle and its been running good since too. its tough when you buy new stuff to fix a problem and it should but doesnt fix the problem. :beercheers:

i have had rotten luck with anything electrical from stereo to cars and quads. i had to replace the stator in my warrior years ago and it went bad again a few years ago. replaced it with an oem unit so i didnt think it would have gone bad after just 3 years or so. after replacing everything but the stator including the pickup coil i finally replaced it again with a new unit from rm stator. it was hard as hell to start and never got a chance to ride the quad when i took it to the dunes. at least the company was cool about it. i sent it back to them and they said they put more ohmage in the pikup coil or something and sent it back. been running great since. bottom line, its a gamble on electrical but if the company stands behind thier product its all good. oh ya, my new pro com ignition box for my kfx 700 was bad too but they sent a new one without a hassle and its been running good since too. its tough when you buy new stuff to fix a problem and it should but doesnt fix the problem. :beercheers:

I know what you mean, a long time ago I got tired of paying somebody more than I ever was paid for the opportunity to eventually fix it myself but to also fix what they would screw up when they can't fix the original problem. But they are always the "expert" which broken down is "ex"= a "use to be" or "has been" and "spert" is a drip under pressure. :?: Super Dave, just think of electricity as water in pipes, voltage=pressure and amperage=volume or current, and watts (everything has watts listed) is volts (pressure) X amps (volume/current). A 100watt/120volt light bulb uses how many amps?100 divided by 120 = .83 amps. Tomorrows lesson will be how to rub your head and pat your belly at the same time :clown:

• 2 weeks later...

I have also heard bad things of them lately.... I hope they can get it turned around and back online.

I hope so.

He has always treated me well.

Talking to him he really seemed on the ball and dedicated to his customers.

Banshees were 90% of his business.

Maybe with the popularity of thumpers his biz has fallen on hard times.

• 2 months later...

All the Banshee guys are having problems with Ricky Stator, stay away from their product. The way i see it.. A quality usa product went china junk! I have an Alba rewound stator & works perfect. It's about $140 with core, a bit more $ if you want more juice. I have the phone number for the tech if you don't wish to deal with Albas bs customer service.