Operation Basketcase

rushjunkie

Since i wasnt able to go to the regatta, i decided to start the teardown on my '82. A few issues I hadnt counted on came up.

Crack at exhaust bolt hole and broken flange. Gonna need a new head. Dont know if i am going with a 88 kit yet. might just go with a used head. Check your PMs Cole.

Bent frame. gonna need to straighten as the fender hits the head when turning. also means no more :headbang1: then :headbang1: right into the side of a moho.

more rust than i thought, but no big deal. nothing some sandblasting and PC cant take care of.

Might need a new shifter too, the quick fix we did aint too pretty

post-3304-1235683939_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1235683974_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1235684000_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1235684028_thumb.jpg

post-3304-1235684052_thumb.jpg

i had to look at the last picture a few times to see WTF that was, looked like the blob was trying to eat your :atc: :ah: LOL, so is that were that dent came from in the side of my MOHO?(JK) LOL

ha! i didnt see that before i posted the pic. Looks like a mutant shift lever...

since this is my first complete teardown on one of these badboys, i need a little help. answer might be obvious but, whats the best way to remove rear axle assembly. I have it down to the sprocket and brake drum. are those just pressed on? i tried prying them a little but not really budging. maybe rusted on, but i dont want to screw it up. :headbang1:

sweet, keep us posted on the progress Eric. I'd like to do the same with another atc. I might sell my trx if I pick up another atc. These atcs are just too much fun! :beercheers:

Who's Eric? Presidente, have you been :laughing: ? :headbang1: This is my first complete tear down of a bike. Other than a couple of things rusted beyond salvation, its been pretty straight forward so far.

Cole told you how to straighten the frame, but the crack in the head by the exhaust, seems to be a common issue and does not affect the way that it runs.

Yeah, the flanges at the exhaust seem to seal it up ok, but Cole is gonna hook me up with another head anyway. Might mess with some porting. good to have a spare anyway.

Since i wasnt able to go to the regatta, i decided to start the teardown on my '82. A few issues I hadnt counted on came up.

Bent frame. gonna need to straighten as the fender hits the head when turning. also means no more :drunk: then :whoop: right into the side of a moho.

post-591-1236297601_thumb.jpg

Hey Eric Eddy, :banghead:

Check out this topic for straightening the frame. Click here >>> topic

Jeremy added pics of how to do it.

Just keep in mind:

Anyone who uses his method has to buy him new overalls. :laughoff:

:blink: JK Jeremy....Don't eat my childeren. lol . Have a beer brotha :sleeping:

As far as THAT axle just sliding out??????

It's probably all rusted up and you'll probably be hammering on it to get it out.

Just don't bugger-up the threads.

Leave the nut on the end and use wood between the nut and the sledge hammer.

Good luck Eric Eddy. :banghead: Dammit, I did it again.

R-

Edited by Randog

Who's Eric? Presidente, have you been :smoker: ? :banghead:

:blink: hahaaaa. I must have mixed you and raspadoo up. Both your screen names start with "r" and both your real names start with "e". Plus you both have a 70! :drunk: Hey gimme a break. It's been a long azz week and I'm still recovered from that damn regatta! :blury::whoop::laughoff: I could use a :smoker: right now. Stupid job! :angry2: :banghead:

Sorry EDDY. :laughoff::sleeping:

Hey Eric Eddy, :blink:

Check out this topic for straightening the frame. Click here >>> topic

Jeremy added pics of how to do it.

Just keep in mind:

Anyone who uses his method has to buy him new overalls. :smoker:

:blink: JK Jeremy....Don't eat my childeren. lol . Have a beer brotha :sleeping:

As far as THAT axle just sliding out??????

It's probably all rusted up and you'll probably be hammering on it to get it out.

Just don't bugger-up the threads.

Leave the nut on the end and use wood between the nut and the sledge hammer.

Good luck Eric Eddy. :whoop: Dammit, I did it again.

R-

:lol: Im actually a little relieved, i thought i would have to WEAR overalls while doing that method. I got the axle out that exact way. it worked like a charm.

:smoker: hahaaaa. I must have mixed you and raspadoo up. Both your screen names start with "r" and both your real names start with "e". Plus you both have a 70! :laughoff: Hey gimme a break. It's been a long azz week and I'm still recovered from that damn regatta! :blury: :angry2: :blury: I could use a :smoker: right now. Stupid job! :angry2: :laughoff:

Sorry EDDY. :drunk::banghead:

no sweat, as long as the wife doesnt slip up and call me something different, im good. :banghead:

• 1 month later...