Kite Tube

EY3BA11

Two injured on Kite Tubes at Lake Powell

The Salt Lake Tribune

Two people were treated for injuries they suffered over the weekend while riding Wego Kite Tubes on Lake Powell. It is the first season rangers in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area have seen Kite Tubes, which are saucer-shaped inflated tubes towed by boats going 20 to 40 mph. The user holds onto the tube as it rises 15 to 60 feet from the water. On Friday afternoon, a 29-year-old man broke his neck when he lost control of a Kite Tube and fell 35 to 40 feet while moving about 35 to 40 mph, according to a news release. He was the third person in his party injured while riding Kite Tubes that day. The others reported minor injuries and were not treated. The following afternoon, a 14-year-old girl lost consciousness when she struck the water after falling 10 to 15 feet while being towed at 20 to 25 mph, according to the release. The girl suffered no serious injury and was released following examination at a hospital. The accidents marked the third and fourth time people have been treated for injuries suffered while riding Kite Tubes on Lake Powell. On April 7, a man suffered a punctured lung caused by broken ribs. And on May 22, a man suffered chest and back injuries.

Damn that sucks! BUT 15 to 60 feet off the water though???? Come on! The highest we got that thing was like maybe 20 feet.

David L ripped his kite tube a couple weekends ago. :laughoff:

I still want to go on it! :laughoff: It's usually no fun unless there is some danger or risk involved. :flipoff: You just got to be careful with whatever you do.

post-3-1150332017.jpg

I know I'm no expert on Kite tube riding, but speaking from my drunken weekend on one, there is no good reason to fall off the tube once it's in flight. That is the smoothest point and the easiest time to hang on. When it sucks is when it's on the H20. Whatever actually happened to these folks, I'm glad they're alive!! That means I can ride it again next year :laughoff:

Two injured on Kite Tubes at Lake Powell

The Salt Lake Tribune

......He was the third person in his party injured while riding Kite Tubes that day......

:laughoff: ...and they didn't figure out what they were doing wrong after the 2nd person? :laughoff: