baja bug

fctryblack84

I got the pics today from johnnytaco today...

We started out by purchasing a class 11 cage from Nevada Off Road....then a shelled out VW from johnnytaco.

These were taken at johnnytaco's place:

Front end before cutting....

post-475-1150487632.jpg

.....and after.

post-475-1150487670.jpg

Rear end before cutting....

post-475-1150487699.jpg

...and after.

post-475-1150487723.jpg

Test fitting the fiberglass front end.

post-475-1150487741.jpg

Then we tacked the cage in place with the body on...

post-475-1150487783.jpg

...then took it off and completed the welds.

post-475-1150487887.jpg

post-475-1150487898.jpg

This is where we wen't beyond what the class 11 kit provided.

We went with side bars and beards.....

post-475-1150487927.jpg

...rear supports...

post-475-1150487999.jpg

post-475-1150488026.jpg

..and here's a rare one with fctryblack84 actually working...atta boy!! :laughing:

post-475-1150488073.jpg

Then we started working from the front out to the beam...

post-475-1150488115.jpg

I think it's going to be killer when we're done....and this is our (fctryblack84 and me) first one! :redhat:

Not too bad for rookies!

thxs..well i brung the baja home last night around 10 ish so it is now sitting on the trailor in the driveway wating for me to start working on it more..but i start working monday and then pay check comes and hope fully get the motor rebuilt or throw in a subie :woo_hoo:

You might want to think about changing the front end from that ball joint beam to an older link pin front end which is much stronger. If you plan on using it off road, the ball joints are very weak.

im still thinking about it..i might just use it for the dunes or something but i need to get some money saved up before anything else

thxs..well i brung the baja home last night around 10 ish so it is now sitting on the trailor in the driveway wating for me to start working on it more..but i start working monday and then pay check comes and hope fully get the motor rebuilt or throw in a subie :woo_hoo:

How do you know it'll fit with the cage that's in there now? Where's the radiator going to go? :idea:

You might want to think about changing the front end from that ball joint beam to an older link pin front end which is much stronger. If you plan on using it off road, the ball joints are very weak.

I agree especially since they are fairly cheap.

Good idea.. and yes it will fit in the current cage but you gotta think of a few things..

Where is the radiator going?

How much is the adapter plate going to cost?

How much is the FI computer going to run?

How much is the wiring going to cost ( about twice the amount of wiring as a VW )?

Dont get me wrong water cooled fuel injection is the way to go if its planned for appropriatley and done right.. but if your on a budget and want a fun all around beater car taht you can have a good time with the VW is the way to go.. Simple, Easy to do plus your half way there w/ the vw case mocked up anyhow.. why change it now :D

Good idea.. and yes it will fit in the current cage but you gotta think of a few things..

Where is the radiator going?

How much is the adapter plate going to cost?

How much is the FI computer going to run?

How much is the wiring going to cost ( about twice the amount of wiring as a VW )?

Dont get me wrong water cooled fuel injection is the way to go if its planned for appropriatley and done right.. but if your on a budget and want a fun all around beater car taht you can have a good time with the VW is the way to go.. Simple, Easy to do plus your half way there w/ the vw case mocked up anyhow.. why change it now :D

That and we have a bunch of VW parts we were saving for this build!

To run a subie will run approximately $8000. For a good all around car I would stick with the VW especially if your on a limited budget. You can always upgrade later. To run a Subie you would want to run atleast an 091 bus trans and that's right around another $3500 if not just a little bit more because of the rest of the suspension upgrades. The project is looking good. :shocked2:

just to ask you is that the cost of a brand new motor.. a while ago i wish i would of got this guys number when i met him at the illegals he worked for the subie company as a tech he said he wcould get me a sweet a$$ deal on one..but oo well

A turnkey motor from Outback runs right around 6K. Then you figure some more for misc. installation items like a radiator and fans and plumbing. And then there is the electrical hook up.

How about the Honda?