Aerial pics Amargosa River between Dumont/Topock

RUn2it

Just scanned these from about 20 years ago.

I'm on the deck and my flying bud is in the blue plane, he flew to Dumont from Apple Valley :lol: The cliff on the right is the next pic looking straight at it.

post-1632-1244398549_thumb.jpg

Hard to see in this small pic but the dark reddish spot in the middle looks like Bigfoot in the big pic

post-1632-1244399049_thumb.jpg

Get along little doggies. There's even a little waterfall there. My bud's on the far right

post-1632-1244399376_thumb.jpg

Just some little hole in the wall joint :whip: Duniemonkie will like this, look on the right of the pic, looks like a giant monkey head :ninja::dunno:

post-1632-1244399558_thumb.jpg

Dumont Stonehendge. The "2001" movie monolith is far left :whip:

post-1632-1244399651_thumb.jpg

pretty cool pics Lee :dunno:

Thanks Pete :whip: 1st time I flew up there I tripped on China Ranch, middle of nowhere and down in this gulch is probably 20 ac or more of date palms and green pasture. Fifty ft back from the edge on top and you'ld never even see it.

oh yeah, the big monkey head in the hole in the wall pic, Harry Henderson!

Edited by RUn2it

Just scanned these from about 20 years ago.

I'm on the deck and my flying bud is in the blue plane, he flew to Dumont from Apple Valley :whip: The cliff on the right is the next pic looking straight at it.

post-1632-1244398549_thumb.jpg

Hard to see in this small pic but the dark reddish spot in the middle looks like Bigfoot in the big pic

post-1632-1244399049_thumb.jpg

These are clearly what are called the Palisades. I tried to get somebody to low fly the area about 8 years ago when I was doing a low budget movie but it didn't happen because it's an ACEC and been one since 74. I for one am glad you where slightly off course.

Looks like the T&T grade in the foreground just past the bridge site.

Eli

These are clearly what are called the Palisades. I tried to get somebody to low fly the area about 8 years ago when I was doing a low budget movie but it didn't happen because it's an ACEC and been one since 74. I for one am glad you where slightly off course.

Eli

It's clearly the bridge site. The doggies may be located just south of there or in what's called the Bowel just south of Tecopa I can't tell. Both were overgrown with salt cedar last time I was there and the BLM removed them doggies long ago.

Eli

Eli

Are you referring to the military control airspace or is ACEC area of critical environmental concern? The airspace at that time had a 3000 ft ceiling.

Are you referring to the military control airspace or is ACEC area of critical environmental concern? The airspace at that time had a 3000 ft ceiling.

Area of Critical Environmental Concern. I was told 3000' Above Ground Level. Permission was granted several years before from the NPS to low fly the DVP but it was denied later. Somebody wanted to something to do with dropping water on the highest and lowest points in the US.

In any case it was a no go with the BLM.

Eli

It's clearly the bridge site. The doggies may be located just south of there or in what's called the Bowel just south of Tecopa I can't tell. Both were overgrown with salt cedar last time I was there and the BLM removed them doggies long ago.

Eli

If the bridge was where the tracks crossed to the east side (right) going toward Tecopa, yes, I was right there in the 1st pic. The cattle were at a wide area just after the fork (Tecopa/China Ranch) toward Tecopa.

Area of Critical Environmental Concern. I was told 3000' Above Ground Level. Permission was granted several years before from the NPS to low fly the DVP but it was denied later. Somebody wanted to something to do with dropping water on the highest and lowest points in the US.

In any case it was a no go with the BLM.

Eli

I'm assuming NPS is National Park Service but the Amargosa from Dumont dunes to Tecopa is outside the park. Besides, the "L" in BLM is LAND :dayum::think::blink::lol:

If the bridge was where the tracks crossed to the east side (right) going toward Tecopa, yes, I was right there in the 1st pic. The cattle were at a wide area just after the fork (Tecopa/China Ranch) toward Tecopa.

Yep it was an interesting bridge at least to a railfan like me. I can't seem to find a picture of it on the web right now. The cattle would be closer to what at least the guy that ran them called the Bowel.

Eli