Diesel Gas!

1BADYFZ

I picked up a new to me Duramax gmc and wondered if the fuel quality of diesel changes from gas station to gas station. Out here in Cali Arco is the cheapy of gas regarding prices and also the water downed fuel they serve for the gas engines.

A friend told me that Diesel fuel or Diesel #2 comes from the same place and is the same no matter what gas station you go to, but i filled up at the arco with Diesel #2 because the dam price is 2.75 and I felt the truck to be a little lazy like all the cars feel when you put arco gas in it.

I then put Shell Diesel #2 for 2.79 last night and the truck seems to be a bit more responsive and the Diesel #2 at other stations besides arco seems to last a bit longer to me...

Just wondered if anyone noticed this type of difference at all with gas stations or know the real answer..

Edited by 1BADYFZ

I dunno if there is much difference between brands, but my head hurts now after trying to figure out if you were talking about gas vs. diesel or what. :laughing::laughoff:

I was thinking, damn dude how the hell is your Dmax even still running on gas? :beerpint::think:

if i fill up at arco i average 400mi per tank in the altima.. if i top off at say a chevron or some other name brand high priced place either cuz im lazy or dont feel like fighting the idiots at am/pm i usually get around 450 a tank out of the car.. i dunno..

There must be a diff in diesel,as far as gasoline like ISBB mentioned, on the gas station pump it uses the formula R(Research) + M(Motor) / 2 = octane. The Motor # is what makes power. When you buy VP 112 (green), 112 is Motor octane (M), if you buy VP110 "race fuel" it uses the R+M/2 and is only 105 (M) Motor octane and came out after Union76 started selling their 110 "race fuel" and it's Motor # was 104. AMPM uses higher Research # and lower Motor # so it has the same "average" octane # as the better performing Chevron for example, but will not go as far on a tank. AMPM is junk, as is octane boosters, slows the burn so no detonation but then the $ spent on performance parts,compression etc is wasted so save the money spent on bogus octane boost and just retard your ign timing to prevent detonation. Ask a tech that's seen the heads,pistons etc from a Chevron fueled engine compared to the AMPM/cheapo fuels if they see a difference. Diesel only has 1 number on the pump, usually #2, never seen the spec sheets for diesel, I must be loosing my grip..... :think:

Theirs a refinery down from work I see Texaco Flyn J, Shell and chevron trucks leaving at all hours guess they shut down production and change over to differant suppliers :think:

I think it's called base , something like that, they have their own formulas for blends, additives, like Chevron and "techron", used to be anyways. After all the "gasolene" is refined out of petroleum they can take other byproducts, like hepthane and napthalene and use wierd processes like different types cracking, alteration, or unification to turn short chain hydrocarbons into the psuedo long chained, eight linked carbon chains (eight = "oct"tane). Everything comes from oil. Hard liquor is alcohol blended with additives, and race fuel is over 100 proof, YIAHH :?: I only remember enough to know that I forgot alot, whatever that means :laughing:

when using regular gAS i Go with chevron with techron. i usually get 50 miles more per tank than Arcooooo. for Diesel i use what ever I can find. Sometimes I find myself looking on empty and cant find diesel. When I do i fill up. no difference from mileage. Hey 1BADYFZ we gots to hook up at the Heffs. Mt brother lives a mile or two from you. when you going to invite.....Polk And Foothill He also has a Grato but no Playboy models....

Edited by Jakster884

I found to have better luck with fuel when i got it from a truck stop, whether it was a flying J or any other big ones. they also put some additives in the fuel to help. If you really want to bump up your miles get a programmer. I had a edge juice and attitude. Running it on 0 (stock) i got average of 16mpg and when i ran it on 1 (mileage) i got around 20 with a 6" lift, 20's and 35in nitto mud grapplers. I also messed with my tranny settings with it and made them pretty firm in 2nd, 3rd and lightened them up in 4th. It may not have helped with mileage but it helped the tranny.

Its all in the way you drive it to, hot rodding it at a light with a beaner car next to you doesn't help the mileage lol

I really miss my truck :(

I don't have a cat converter nor does a friend that had a diesel shop for at least 35 years but we add a qt of dexronlll ATF for every 45 gals of diesel, especially since the ULSD fuel, otherwise not much upper cylinder lubricant anymore. The additives you buy are ULSD formula also.

oh yeah, new ATF is Dexmerc I think

Edited by RUn2it

And while we're on the subject of what's the best diesel here's a link http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf to the Turbo Diesel Register for a .pdf 6 pg file from an ex oil analyst showing the different oils & additives and what they're supposed to do for 21 different oils, fossil and synthetic and below is his picks for best with the ULSDiesel fuel. He had to rate them by their quality & additives before he knew what brand or type oil it was. Don't confuse classifications of oil, for example the Valvoline Cl-4 Plus is at the top of the list and the Valvoline CJ-4 is #22 on the updated list that you'll find in the article. Here's the link to the article that contains the .pdf file for more info. http://www.turbodieselregister.com/article...blem/Page1.html

post-1632-1251332074_thumb.jpg

#22 is the Valvolene CJ-4