Easter trip report

BIG DAVE XP1K

Easter weekend ..... We got to Dumont on Friday at about 5 pm and the wind was blowin. :( No fire that night. The sand was really beautiful on Saturday, once the wind calmed down about 10 am. About 5 pm the wind started to howl again and its pretty hard to dutch oven in the blowing sand I'll tell ya that. The wind calmed down about 11pm long enough for a few cocktails :peeps: and a small fire before bed. Crawled out of bed about 9 am and the you guessed it ....The wind was a BLOWIN, again. :beat: But the sand was PERFECT. :ban-split: We were going to stay through Monday but decided it was not going to be worth hiding out in the rigs for another night so we packed up and rolled out. All in all we had a great Dune season and cant really b*tch about one bad weekend of wind. So now its time to enjoy some utah trails for a few months. I guess a bad day at the dunes is better than a good day at work anytime. :old:

Edited by Big Dave

same here, we rolled in on friday evening and setup camp, sat am the dunes were perfect and had a few great runs. went for the the last run before the sun went down and dropped the tranny / clutch in the quad. after playing around tryin to pull it bak finally decided to go back and get the truck; i was stuck over on the south side behind the mountain with the cross on the top. when i got back to camp for the truck, we had lost 2 tents, 2 canopies and had about 2inces of sand in every tent! no good, the wind was a blowing! packed up and headed home.

on on another note did anyone see that @!@$ of a father let his no older than 11yr old boy hit comp saturday afternoon, in a fully decked out rail? well we did and he made it up the hill about 2/3 and rolled it 4-5 times on the way down, we all knew somthing was gonna happen, i was the first one to get there, once i checked that the kids were ok, i let the troops take over but thats no good! running the flats is kinda pushing it to begin with but hitting comp is plain out dumb! i mean really the kid probably was 10 or a 11 and the rail just had way too much power......

I guess the weekend was windy. How was the crowd was the area semi full? pretty damn empty? or packed.

For the Kid driving the rail and flipped well we all know the IQ of some these parents and it's not very high. Good to hear the kid was OK and he will live to do it all over again. :beat:

I stopped bringing tents a year before my Toy Hauler. Para sailing while trying to sleep was not fun. I rather sleep in my truck it was not going any where.

Thanks for sharing for those who posted. :ban-split:

No Photos except some GoPro I am working on to be able to post.

Pulled in Thursday night with Rocket and another friend from Logandale Nv. Shortly after it was time for the camp fire and a few cocktails.

Friday morning Rocket and I did a fantastic ride on the West side of the Dunes. Took about an hour from start to finish. Smooth sand and good lines for my rail.

Friday evening Terry pulled into camp and two others that we thought were going to come didn't. So camp was spread out some but we did a fire and some drinks and later the wind came up only to have a bunch from Cali show up and park less than 20 feet from Terrys rig, Unbelievable as the flats were wide open. The camp was full of kids and inconsiderate adults!

Terry finally pulled his rigs closer to the fire pit and we survived. Those kids were running circles around their camp with in just a few feet of Terrys rig.

Later in the day on Saturday, Terry :shake: lead us on a ride on the eastern section of the dunes. Great run and lines. Ended up at the North pole. My little no travel rail following a bunch of long travel cars was an adventure to say the least. I got lost once or twice and bottomed out on a razorback once too. Had a little problem with the sharper razorbacks. :old:

Got film of that run too. Kinda funny and only a couple of Qh Sh*ts :beat: from me on the ride in the audio.

Short mention of our campfire entertainment on Sat night, We had our resident drunk there, WOW!!

She tried to give Terry a hard time but that didn't work at all!!!!! :flipoff:

Rockets wife fixed us a nice Easter dinner :ban-split: on Sunday and the rest of the time was relaxing. :drunks: Terry left Sunday AM.

Wind came up again in the evening again so camp fire was short. Finally came home on Monday because of the weather forecast.

Still a great trip!!!

:old:

Who were the two people wearing the safety vests snapping pictures on top of Banshee and on top of Comp hill?

"Dune Pix" out of Temecula Calif. They take action shots and sell them on Vendor row. Great pictures right on the spot!!! A little pricey but well worth it!!!

:laughing:

That's no excuse, Dave! :laughing:

How about this one???

Too damn busy riding and drinking to take pictures!!! :bs::dunno:

Do have lots of GoPro but can't figure out how to capture them so I can edit out the dead time. Still learning when to turn the damn thing on!!! :blah::blah::blah:

Take that Young un!!!! :laughing:

:old:

rolled in to the D about 3pm friday with the family. hardly got out of the moho and find out my friends sandrail was sittin' on comp with 2 flat tires after rolling over( didn't i just see this movie a couple trips ago?). anyways an hour of my life later and he's mobile again and just a couple broken flags. got a good run one end to the other in the jeep before dark and the wind blew all night fri. sat morning and the dunes were awesome! i'm sittin on top of the high hill near comp and somebody tells me there's a longtravel stuck in the bowl above comp. so i go try to pull him back to camp.he had been there since 10 fri nite! after a couple tries i realize his trans is blown and keeps getting stuck, so the axles gotta come off. no tools, bak to camp to borrow an 11 mm 12point socket. on the way to camp i see long-travel had rolled on back side of comp(heard the guys son had broken arm and headed to hospital.) axles off and finally moving. get stuck in small bowl and now he's really screwed. along comes a rhino that we hook up to jeep and it's enuff to get him out of bowl and with lots of tow straps borrowed we get over the last lip and head back to camp. hafta admit i aired down to 14lbs on fri afternoon and by midday sat i'm at 17lbs because of the heat and that was 5lbs too much(head bowed, i know better). many thanks to the rhino guy :laughing: (service manager at sunland ford in victorville i think he said). there's 4 hours of my life i'll never get back!.....anyhoo, back to duning.....another sandrail upside down on comp....saw 4 rollovers this weekend. went for a run with wades subaru sanrail(NICE!). then led a run in the windblown dunes late afternoon with the jeep that was pretty hairy with all that sand blowin 'round. headed home after dark. the worst day duning is better than the best day workin'!

We spent easter at glamis. Weather was perfect: high 70s. Not too cold at night. Freshly groomed virgin dunes. Just got my camera out of the bus :P . A buddy got his ranger stuck on a razor back, made for a few good shots.

post-6067-1270781873_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1270781584_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1270781548_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1270781647_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1270781494_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1270781471_thumb.jpg

post-6067-1270781895_thumb.jpg