EBAY problems

bp-guy

I bought a set of gauges off EBAY and they were described as new and unused. When they arrived they were far from that. Missing parts and damaged.

They were damaged in shipping and we didn't insure the box (my fault). But the gauges are not new, they have silicone on them and were all scratched up from the initial install. ( He stated they are new and removed them from a car he bought to put factory gauges back on the car)

Me and the seller are going rounds on how to settle this. I filed a complaint and he has escalated it higher up the ebay chain. Fine by me!

This guy is a total A-hole and has looked me up on Google earth to see where I live. I have kept all his emails as he is threatening me with a civil court suit if I do win this dispuite on ebay.

What have any of you done with a bad purchase?

I plan on using them if I lose but I will need to give them some love to make them look good in my 65 Mustang that I am restoring.

I just want to hear the war stories and see if I am not alone in this battle.

Also can I do a chargeback on my creditcard for merchandise not represented correctly. If I lose I want to hold this guy up as long as I can with my money in the balance. :grin:

I bought a set of gauges off EBAY and they were described as new and unused. When they arrived they were far from that. Missing parts and damaged.

They were damaged in shipping and we didn't insure the box (my fault). But the gauges are not new, they have silicone on them and were all scratched up from the initial install. ( He stated they are new and removed them from a car he bought to put factory gauges back on the car)

Me and the seller are going rounds on how to settle this. I filed a complaint and he has escalated it higher up the ebay chain. Fine by me!

This guy is a total A-hole and has looked me up on Google earth to see where I live. I have kept all his emails as he is threatening me with a civil court suit if I do win this dispuite on ebay.

What have any of you done with a bad purchase?

I plan on using them if I lose but I will need to give them some love to make them look good in my 65 Mustang that I am restoring.

I just want to hear the war stories and sepost and e if I am not alone in this battle.

Also can I do a chargeback on my creditcard for merchandise not represented correctly. If I lose I want to hold this guy up as long as I can with my money in the balance. :grin:

If he represented himself as a business you can call your credit card and ask for a hold on the payment. I am not sure if it's a private party but would be worth a phone call to the CC company to see if they can help.

If you used paypal there are lots of help there. Let him threaten you all he wants, just keep written notes of what he says , dates, times and hope he takes you to court. You will chew him up. I would definetly go on his sellers post and put negative remarks on it. that will slow anybody looking to buy any further items down and hurt his wallet. Good Luck.

If he represented himself as a business you can call your credit card and ask for a hold on the payment. I am not sure if it's a private party but would be worth a phone call to the CC company to see if they can help.

If you used paypal there are lots of help there. Let him threaten you all he wants, just keep written notes of what he says , dates, times and hope he takes you to court. You will chew him up. I would definetly go on his sellers post and put negative remarks on it. that will slow anybody looking to buy any further items down and hurt his wallet. Good Luck.

I did use paypal, always do. Not a company but a private seller.I will leave negative feedback as well. He will do the same for me and will hurt my 100% rating but right now I don't care. My track record on EBAY is perfect and my number is 164, his is 36 I think. So hopefully they will take my history into account and rule in my favor.

I have been keeping all his emails in a folder. He changed my name on the address heading of the emails to "d*ck Head" LOL

I've been burnt a few times. 1st time my cc backed me up after ebay said tuff luck.

2nd time, ebay stood behind it 100%. Eitherway, it's a hassle. I'd say stand your ground the best you can. New is described as never installed, so he has misrepresented the item he sold.

Getting ebay involved in a dispute can sometimes change the leverage in your favor.

Good luck :grin:

My car isn't going to be done anytime soon so I have all the time in the world with this.

I just hate how someone can manipulate the system into their favor and possibly win.

I told him if I win I will send the gauges back to him in the same packaging mateirals he used and hope they don't get as messed up as they did while in transit to me. lol

I did use paypal, always do. Not a company but a private seller.I will leave negative feedback as well. He will do the same for me and will hurt my 100% rating but right now I don't care. My track record on EBAY is perfect and my number is 164, his is 36 I think. So hopefully they will take my history into account and rule in my favor.

I have been keeping all his emails in a folder. He changed my name on the address heading of the emails to "d*ck Head" LOL

you can contact ebay, as I did IF you did everything you were supposed to do as a buyer...which is pay the MF'r his money in a timely fashion

if he gives you negative feedback, contact ebay with proof of your timely payment....they changed mine...they'll change yours

Sorry to hear youre dealing with a prick. How can they be new gauges if he had to remove them from a car?

ALWAYS use paypal linked to a credit card. Gives you three sources of insurance, ebay, paypal, and your cc company. If you have gone through paypal's dispute resolution process, normally, in my experience anyway, your cc company will credit the lost funds back to your account. Works that way with MBNA I know.

Best thing to do if you have the time and want to dedicate the effort is beat this foolio at his own little game and go down and pay your $25-30 and file your won small claim against him.

Been doing eBay since 98, have 1000+, 100% positive feedback and have had minimal problems, three total from exactly what you are describing, wrongly advertised merchandise. Two of them closed thier accounts before paypal could recover funds after ruling in my favor, Notified MBNA and was promptly refunded lost funds. Paypal refunded the other. One of these was over $400 and would have really chaffed my azz had I not gotten the money back. Don't like that eBay double dips with fees from paypal BUT I'm glad they back up their system like they do.

BPGUY, where is he from? I doubt he will take the time to file a small claim complaint with the court, remember, when ever your sued, it has to be in the court where you live, so if he is Sacramento or out of state, i doubt he is gona drive to San Diego Co. to file a lawsuit. Bunch of hot wind if you ask me. Stick with Ebay and Paypal, they might end up giving you your money back and might even get to keep the gauges.

If you have tried to resolve this with this idiot and he is not responding or being reasonable, stop communicating with him and let Ebay or Paypal handle it, this idiot is not worth your time.

Thanks for the info.

I will let you know his ID on EBAY when I get home. I thought the court would be in my area so that is good. He is out of New York so I doubt he will persue a case for $200 even though he states the gauges new are $600. He would spend that in a flight alone to get here and back.

Kinda pisses me off but I like a good fight ever now and then.

His screen name is Silversea88

Edited by bp-guy

I won my case with EBAY. Now I am waiting to see what this guy tries next. I have 3 days to get it in mail to him. When he receives it I get my money back thru Ebay.

I wonder if he will say I damaged them worse then how he sent them and cause me more trouble.

I have a trick up my sleeve incase he does something like that but I don't want to post it on here incase he somehow found me here and followed this. (highly unlikely)

I won my case with EBAY. Now I am waiting to see what this guy tries next. I have 3 days to get it in mail to him. When he receives it I get my money back thru Ebay.

I wonder if he will say I damaged them worse then how he sent them and cause me more trouble.

I have a trick up my sleeve incase he does something like that but I don't want to post it on here incase he somehow found me here and followed this. (highly unlikely)

WOHOO!! that dirt bag got what he deserved, hes probably all pissy and huffy right now, LOL