AS41 Brazilian case top welding repair?

Doghouse

So I have a brand new Brazilian AS41 case in my shop that has already been cnc clearanced for a stroker crank & rods.

It has already had extensive machine work done to it to accept a Scat 88 crank with t4 mains and flanged flywheel.

It's been drilled for piston squirters, full flow tapped, all gallies drilled & tapped, opened for 94 jugs, decks cut and 10mm case savers.

So a lot of money has already been spent on this block...to much to just toss it.

All that being said, the reason for this topic question:

While attempting to gain more clearance for the rods being used, I cut right through the top of the block with my rotary bit.

The hole is large enough that I can almost put the end of my little finger in it.

It's located on the DRIVER SIDE of the blocks top, right by the hole that utilizes the pass through bolt.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: has anyone been successful in welding a pop though hole like this, IN THAT LOCATION?

My customer doesn't want me to use JB Weld.

my e-mail is feedback@doghouserepair.com

thanks for any input, Phil

So I have a brand new Brazilian AS41 case in my shop that has already been cnc clearanced for a stroker crank & rods.

It has already had extensive machine work done to it to accept a Scat 88 crank with t4 mains and flanged flywheel.

It's been drilled for piston squirters, full flow tapped, all gallies drilled & tapped, opened for 94 jugs, decks cut and 10mm case savers.

So a lot of money has already been spent on this block...to much to just toss it.

All that being said, the reason for this topic question:

While attempting to gain more clearance for the rods being used, I cut right through the top of the block with my rotary bit.

The hole is large enough that I can almost put the end of my little finger in it.

It's located on the DRIVER SIDE of the blocks top, right by the hole that utilizes the pass through bolt.

MY QUESTION IS THIS: has anyone been successful in welding a pop though hole like this, IN THAT LOCATION?

My customer doesn't want me to use JB Weld.

my e-mail is feedback@doghouserepair.com

thanks for any input, Phil

is the case alum or mag???? alum is easy mag not so easy

Can you post a picture? Not sure what you mean by "pass thru bolt" I know VW's are weak around the #3 jug due to cooling concerns. I believe if it is a Brazillian case it is going to be magnesium. It should still be salvageable depending on the size of hole but I am not sure on the proceedures on plugging a magnesium case.

That is a pretty common area for a stroker, Jon at RC Trans, welds mag all the time, I can have Brad From Canyon Concrete Pick up the case and drop it off to save you the 45 minutes? Or Phil Hayes on Bender street can weld it up in his sleep or with the 6 CNC machines one being almost two storys could even make one, If you go to Phil's Tell Him Jason Alper sent you I worked for phil for 5 years, in the stock car days at the bull-ring he was know as the Mad-Hater, his shop in vegas was the old national performance building on fremont street. Very well know in Las Vegas.

Phil Hayes Inc

6910 Bender Street

Pahrump, NV 89060-3059 map

Phone: (775) 727-9222