generator?

lilguy450

whats up guys i just bought a 14' carson rebel and im trying to figure out what size and what kind of generator to get....i dont have an a/c...the most i would want to run on the gen is the heater, lights, maybe a small tv, and phone chargers and stuff..not all at the same time of course either..and of course to charge batteries...i do not want a honda or yamaha because i dont have the money for one..i just want a simple reliable generator ro run the trailer and not be too annoying....the generators i was thinking of were the harbor freight brand 2200 and the champion 3500/4000 ive heard good reviews on these and ive heard they are about as loud as a lawn mower..i was also thinking about the champion 2000 inverter its a quiet gen for only about $350-$400.....let me know what you guys think.....also would a 1000w gen get me by?

you need at least a 3000 for the a/c and you wont be able to run anything else while the a/c is on.

:think: In the first sentence of his post he said he doesn't have A/C.

1000-2000 will be just fine for lights and charging the batts. Just remember a toaster draws alot too if you make toast and crap. laughing.gif

my main concern is being able to run the heater at night with the generator on...the other thing I wanted to run was a tv but that was it.....I found a champion 1500/1200 gen for 200 shipped brand new will this get the job done?

Oscar it is to loud and the people you are camping with will hate you lol. I know you said the Honda was a bit much, but take a look at the Honeywell's, they are a little cheaper and you should be able to get away with a 1k gen for a TV and heater.

I heard bad things about the honeywells.....I was thinking that the generac 1600 would work but didn't hear to good of reviews form that one either....I know that the champions are defiantly more quiet then the standard gens I'm gonna make sure I park right next to you biz! LOL

Are you talking about a portable 110 valt heater or a furnace built in that runs off of 12 volts?

If you have 2 6 volt batteries in the rig it should run all night if you don't want to keep the trailer at 80 degrees and then you can run the generator during the day to recharge the batteries. If the trailer only has 1 12 volt battery it might not work nearly as well or as long.

I heard bad things about the honeywells.....I was thinking that the generac 1600 would work but didn't hear to good of reviews form that one either....I know that the champions are defiantly more quiet then the standard gens I'm gonna make sure I park right next to you biz! LOL

That is fine Oscar, I have a fix for noisy generators!!! ha ha ha

I read a couple bad things about them and the way they just stop running, but most of the fixes lead back to crappy spark plugs that come with them.

Are you talking about a portable 110 valt heater or a furnace built in that runs off of 12 volts?

If you have 2 6 volt batteries in the rig it should run all night if you don't want to keep the trailer at 80 degrees and then you can run the generator during the day to recharge the batteries. If the trailer only has 1 12 volt battery it might not work nearly as well or as long.

He has 1 12 volt and a built in heater, he should be able to run off of a 1k generator I would think just for a heater fan and TV.

That is fine Oscar, I have a fix for noisy generators!!! ha ha ha

I read a couple bad things about them and the way they just stop running, but most of the fixes lead back to crappy spark plugs that come with them.

He has 1 12 volt and a built in heater, he should be able to run off of a 1k generator I would think just for a heater fan and TV.

I would think the heater wouold run all night without the generator. Mine does with no problem.

The 1k should be fine for keeping the battery charged and when the TV is needed. No hair dryers or high wattage appliances either tho

well its either between the champion 1500/1200 for 200 shipped or the 2000w champion inverter for 550 shipped ...i kinda just want a generator i dont have to worry about getting wet or sand getting in or on it...i think im gonna get the one for 200 ...

I would think the heater wouold run all night without the generator. Mine does with no problem.

The 1k should be fine for keeping the battery charged and when the TV is needed. No hair dryers or high wattage appliances either tho

My battery will not last the night, using just the heater.

Edited by mineurbiz

My battery will not last the night, using just the heater.

2 6 volt batteries are so much better than 1 12 volt deep cycle. MIne run the refer, heater and phone charger and a radio a nd lights all night without any problem at all

From your initial post: ..i just want a simple reliable generator ro run the trailer and not be too annoying.... Anything except the quiet more expensive generators are going to be more than too annoying.....If you are in a camp IMHO.

Edited by SANDAWG

you need 2 6 volts , I can run my heater for 3 nights straight and like sandawg said run the genn in the day to recharge the batteries and phones.

No way your going to run a generator all night just for the heater, if it's not the yamaha or Honda that will not happen.

Some people I know can put an exhaust on those dam drag generators to wuite them down, ask around..

thanks for the response guys im gonna end up going with a 1200/1500 gen and if its too loud ill just put a different muffler on it and build an enclosure on the front of the trailer....i should be fine powering a tv and my basic stuff with the 1200/1500 tho right?

thanks for the response guys im gonna end up going with a 1200/1500 gen and if its too loud ill just put a different muffler on it and build an enclosure on the front of the trailer....i should be fine powering a tv and my basic stuff with the 1200/1500 tho right?

Watch out for two things! The muffler has to be specific to the engine so it has the proper back pressure so the engine runs properly.

Next, be careful on the enclosure to make sure it has the proper ventilation so the generator doesn't overheat. There is a reason the portable generators dont have a lot of "tin" on the exterior, it's not just cost!

Good Luck!

:old:

:think: In the first sentence of his post he said he doesn't have A/C.

1000-2000 will be just fine for lights and charging the batts. Just remember a toaster draws alot too if you make toast and crap. laughing.gif

DUH!!!

How in the hell did I miss that........Like Pete said a 1-2000 will be fine.

I run my 2000 all night long everynight at the dunes that my heater is on.But a 1000 would do the same.I just want to fire up the microwave for a baby bottle for 20 seconds in the middle of the night so I bought the 2000

My adice is if you get a cheaper gen, don't "build" it into the trailer. I did, and everyone in camp hated it. I welded a big old muffler on it...they still hated it. Now it just sits there, rotting away.

Maybe if you leave it portable, buy an extension chord, park next to a finger, and set the genny on the other side of the dune :laughing:

my main concern is being able to run the heater at night with the generator on...the other thing I wanted to run was a tv but that was it.....I found a champion 1500/1200 gen for 200 shipped brand new will this get the job done?

You can get one of those grid heaters that run off of the propane of the unit...uses no power and for a size for you it would keep ya way warm...I use it at night and works well( its called a catalytic saftey heater

My adice is if you get a cheaper gen, don't "build" it into the trailer. I did, and everyone in camp hated it. I welded a big old muffler on it...they still hated it. Now it just sits there, rotting away.

Maybe if you leave it portable, buy an extension chord, park next to a finger, and set the genny on the other side of the dune :laughing:

Thats some funny chit right there. :laughing: