Vegas to Dumont Directions

badrap

I am trying to find the best (easiest, fastest) way to get from Vegas to Dumont Dunes. According to the computer, taking the 160 out of Vegas to through Pahrump and down 373/178 to 127 (112 miles) is shorter than taking the 15 to Baker and up the 127 (127 miles). I see a shorter way which is the Tecopa Rd./Old Spanish Trail Hwy. (100 miles) but figure it may be a bad road or even dirt. I was also concerned about road conditions and any nasty grades. Any feedback would be great.

I would also like to know where to get water and where to dump the toy hauler. Thanks

Once you hit the cali border its starts gettin rough.. :D Its not that bad but it is hard on equiptment... The way thru pahrump is alot nicer highway... tecopa isnt bad as long as your not flying!!! and you have to know where the bad spots are.. do the speed limit and you will be ok! anythign faster your asking to break something in some spots..

The road isn't THAT bad. There are a couple small potholes and some "whoops" in the road :freakin_nuts: , but they as long as you aren't towing over 75-80 :driver: :freakin_nuts: :freakin_nuts: then you'll be just fine.

I go Tecopa every time and it shaves off quite a bit of time. I tow a big trailer and have no problems. You can even dump in the campground at the Tecopa hotsprings for 5 bucks. :thumb:

The only NASTY grade is Mt Potisi (aka Mt Springs). It isn't that long though, so once you get up over it it's smooth sailing. :driver::D

I go the Tecopa route everytime. I usually do the speed limit and I'm fine. I tow a big 5th wheel loaded and have no problems. Mt. Springs is a good climb at about 48mph without pushing the EGT's. It's 96 miles from my door to the flats....I can't wait for that first trip!!!

As far as dumping, I use the truck stop I-15 and Blue Diamond for $10.00

• 2 weeks later...

thru tecopa it is about 40 miles shorter than going thru baker..... i checked it at the turn off with the navigation in my truck just for fun. if i remember right, it was 96 miles thru tacopa and 134 thru baker. i go the tacopa way, forget climbing the baker grade loaded!