Question Mazzone motor swap

Squirrel702

Ok I sold my 350 and want to either dump the money into the 1776 or motor swap. I need Ideas guys very confused since this is my first car and I want something that is water cooled since it gets hot. I was thinking of either a vtec or Subaru motor. I just don't know what it takes to put this in. Would there be any welding modes or will it just bolt right in stuff like that. Also would the trans that comes with the motor be ok for the dunes since I see a lot of ppl with the Mendola trans "pardon me if I got the name wrong".

I have about 1100 grand to blow right now on this another 1800 after school starts. So this my other idea for the VW motor. But a fuel injection kit for it so I don't have to F!@# with these Dellarto carbs anymore cause I just can't get them. I have adjusted the valves .006 recommended, new spark plugs, rebuilt the carbs, accu-fire ignition, just can't find the right setting. My biggest issue with the vw motor is that it is not liquid cooled and I worry about heat.

The car is only 800lbs so 160hp Vtec motor would be fine with me not looking to break the sound barrier.

I know I have asked a lot of ?'s but the guys that bought the motor advised that there are a bunch of good guys on here that are willing to help, hell I will buy the beer and pay someone to help with these damn carbs to get them right.

Or even a motorcycle motor gxr1000.

Let me sum up what I would be happy with. Something with at least 140hp on this car since its so light but more is better.

Feed me ideas guys.

Thank you all.

Edited by Squirrel702

You need to find a guy in Vegas that understands VW's and have him take a look. I wouldn't put a dime in it till you know the rest of the car is good. You need to take it out and have fun while learning the car and finding the other issues that always pop up. Also, are the pushrods aluminum or chromoly? 006 is for aluminum (stock), the chromoly is a loose zero. A magnet will tell the difference.

Maybe find a vw off road group local and get with them for a few runs and ask questions. It is really hard to help with carbs from a couple of hundred miles away.

I figured Sandawg just hoping different ppl with different ideas. Trust me very confused. yes I am going to take it out to Dumont but need these carbs set up first I mean on the gas its great just hitting the throttle there is a little hiccup. I know that I will not be happy with this 1776 motor with maybe 75hp even with the close ratio gearing. I took it to Nellis Dunes and ran fine until the points fouled fixed that problem the next day never again.

I am like a kid in a candy store with money burning my pocket and not knowing what to eat.

I'd lean on the wisdom of some of these guys. I've spent a lot on hopping up my toys. Honestly, I think the 2900 you're thinking about spending will not get you as far as you want to go. On the other hand, there no better feeling than duning something you built.

Whatever you decide, around here all we ask is to post lots of pictures of your progress

i would sell the one you have and take your extra cash and buy what you really want. i know you like the car but you want more power, water cooled, better seats and more travel! what you have is a small vw motor and one of the weakest tranny with no travel. to do all the swaps and changes you want is going to cost you a ton of cash and time. and a lot of fab work to. just my opinion but you would be much better if you just got that car running well, or go shop for one that is water cooled with a bus box and some travel. remember only about 3 months tell sand season starts.

Yes. But I was advised if I keep the boost around 5 to 6 it would be fine. But like I am going to be able to stay at 5 or 6 lbs of boost when I want 8 to 10 maybe 12 lol. But I know I will be happy for this season at 5 lbs. Even with that I should feel a nice change.

Yes. But I was advised if I keep the boost around 5 to 6 it would be fine. But like I am going to be able to stay at 5 or 6 lbs of boost when I want 8 to 10 maybe 12 lol. But I know I will be happy for this season at 5 lbs. Even with that I should feel a nice change.

Rule of thumb is for every 15 lbs. of boost, you roughly double the HP: so 7-8 lbs. on 75 HP should be in the area of 110-115.

You are correct though, you will always want to turn it up, until eventually you do, and then you WILL be rebuilding the motor again :P

... Not that I would know :) ...

Well, if you want the quickest to horsepower for what you got, 100 shot of nitrous. Every other option for that car is expensive. The car was built for a light engine. Need to be realistic with your expectations. Anything can be done for cost. Out of ideas friend.

Ok then maybe I should ask this. With this 1776 motor and 1100 dollars to use for right now. What would you guys do to this motor to get the biggest bang for the buck. I am looking on Samba and found a turbo kit for 1400, the only thing it needs is the carb pretty clean.

One thing though could I run the turbo stock at 5 to 6 lbs and get away with out doing any engine crap.

Edited by Squirrel702

You better find out what you compression is now. You can't just throw a turbo on a motor if you don't do other things first. There are no short cuts. You said earlier that you would run it the way it is for one season. Knock off the BS and do that first. As for me I'm through making suggestion since you have your mind set on ignoring what people are telling you!!!!!

Bro I am not ignoring anybody and you don't have to be and a$$ about things. I am new to this sh*t and I am looking for ideas just because I am not doing it this season does not mean sh*t. I was told to come here due to there are nice ppl and at first I was getting a lot of help now I am getting slack from you due to me asking what would you guys do with this motor and money. Yes I am taking everything in on what you guys are saying and I am trying to get to know ppl here since I am new. So please don't be a jerk about it. All I want to do is go out and have a good time meet some ppl drink a beer and go fast weather it be in a 1776 or a ls7 <-- joke. So if I pissed you off like I said just very new.

Not pissed, probably am a Jerk and an as* so do your thing and have fun and good luck.

Listen Dawg I did not mean to come on here and get ppl in an up roar just looking for guidance. I am sorry for calling you and a$$ but really I am soooo confused. My wife just told me though that I can go buy my Arctic Cat SideXside the new one hells yeah. So I am going to have fun this season then go buy that Arctic cat. Just crazy though for the price of that damn thing I can buy a descent long travel rail but my buddy has a razor so I want to kick his butt with this thing.

the wildcat will not outperform a rzr 900 just fyi. They have great suspension but the motors are weak..

Your car just do what it needs to make it dune worthy for a season, run it and run it hard, you will more than likley have new problems come up during the season, and save your cash for those times, and if you dont end up using it great, save it for the upgrades or mods you want to do after having a season under your belt with the new car.

the wildcat will not outperform a rzr 900 just fyi. They have great suspension but the motors are weak..

Your car just do what it needs to make it dune worthy for a season, run it and run it hard, you will more than likley have new problems come up during the season, and save your cash for those times, and if you dont end up using it great, save it for the upgrades or mods you want to do after having a season under your belt with the new car.

After watching a crap load of vids the arctic cat out performs the rzr. Yes the Rzr will beat it ini a straight line on a road but when it comes to jumping and rough terrain it spanks it. The vids where not one sided also. Plus it looks better than the rzr.