Im looking for thoughts on kids and quads. I think the rule is 50cc till 16yr old?

If that is true, it doesnt seem to be enforced or realistic. I seem to let my decisions be made by experience and size. Speed or power isnt really a part of my decision for my kids. I look at their physical ability and there experience and past decision making. (we have (2) 50's a 110, and 200's

Just for example......is it wrong for every 80 lb 10 yr old to ride a blaster? How about a 60 lb 7 year old? What about a warrior, or a banshee? Those are lighter quads.

What about 450's and raptors? I dont think kids could effectively ride them due to weight mostly.

What about a 12 yr old? with ability (100lbs) and experience?

In my opinion it's based on their experience. No one age or weight judgement.

My 4yo and 7 yo are on LT80's the 4 yo with an adult the 7 yo by himself for he last few years. I can see my 4yo passing my 7 yo in time. Again based on the person

Edited by White Rhino

Both my kids (girl / boy) were on 400's by 10 years old and 450's by 12. I would bypass all the mid size short wheelbase stuff and get them on a full size with decent suspension and power asap. ltz 400 is a great all around ride and can be found set up pretty cheap. the suspension and power will get them out of way more trouble than it will get them into. We had a lady in camp riding a blaster for years and I don't think she ever made it through a trip without breaking the whip...

By 10 years old my Lil Bro-in-law Charlie aka CampChild was riding a banshee and tearing it up. It all goes down to experience and capability. He grew up riding and racing though. Hell my 9 year old son steals my LTR 450 and cruises it around camp and on the finger dune. Would I let him dune it?.... Probably not til he is a little older/bigger.

I believe you should base it on the kid . Sounds crazy but i am looking for a 125cc 2 stroke dirt bike for my 110lb soon to be 10 year old. He has been on a bike since he was 2. He is a better rider than I am and why should he have to ride a smaller bike because of his age and not skill level.