What fluid are you running in your Mendeola trans?

nwtdiesel

Lets get this started :)

Mendeola recommends 80w 140 gear oil but I see some guys running other weights and brands. What do you guys run? Why do you run the fluid you do and how often do you change it?

Some of the most common oils I see used are:

LAT Lubeatech 85w 140

Synergyn-Syngear II 85-140

Mobile One Full Synthetic 75w 140

Red Line Shock Proof Synthetic

Kendall SHP Synthetic Gear Lube 75W90

Royal Purple 85-140

Swepco 212

Lucas 85w 140

What local Vegas shops carry these top brands?

Swepco 212. I change it once a season.

I believe Butch's and NV Offroad Buggy still carry it.

attachicon.gifpost-3-075016100 1287629625_thumb.jpg

@@dunefreak, Do you ever have problems shifting? "Notchy" or tough to get into gear?

We don't recommend using "Moly" oils in synchromesh transmissions, the Moly makes the oil too slippery and the synchros don't have enough friction to speed up or slow down the gear during the shift. I've had people complain about bad shifting after a fresh service or new trans, and often times it comes back to moly oil.

Moly oil is fine in sequential "dog-change" transmissions where there are no synchros.

@@nwtdiesel, I would recommend Swepco 210, 80w/140 for your 2-D.

• Like 1

Well crap. I picked up two gallons of Swepco 212 today. Butches had it for $80 a gallon.

The Moly is for better protection on the gears and main bearing I believe. Not so much the shifting.

Edited by nwtdiesel

I have a DECO case in my car purchased from john at RC Trans ..... He recommended that I run Lubrication Engineers inc "Alien Blood".... I got nothing to add to his recommendation other than his reputation. And it is pricey like $80 a gallon.

@@dunefreak, Do you ever have problems shifting? "Notchy" or tough to get into gear?

We don't recommend using "Moly" oils in synchromesh transmissions, the Moly makes the oil too slippery and the synchros don't have enough friction to speed up or slow down the gear during the shift. I've had people complain about bad shifting after a fresh service or new trans, and often times it comes back to moly oil.

Moly oil is fine in sequential "dog-change" transmissions where there are no synchros.

@@nwtdiesel, I would recommend Swepco 210, 80w/140 for your 2-D.

never, shifts great. I believe Mendeola even suggested it in one of their threads years back on GD.com

@@nwtdiesel, Run it! its not generally going to hurt anything, if your shifting becomes stiff or notchy, where you have to push hard on the shifter and it doesn't want to go into gear easily, I would pull it. That is the complaint that I hear every so often on my end, we have had people change to oil without moly in it and it tends to fix the issue.

Moly oil is generally designed for rear end gears that have a lot of offset between the pinion and ring gear where there is a lot of sliding action between the teeth. Synchromesh type shifting systems rely on friction, so the moly tends to be too slippery and the synchros have a hard time grabbing the gear which makes for stiff shifting. The extreme pressure additives which designates the difference between API GL-1 through GL-6 designated oils is what protects the face of the gear teeth. We only ever see GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils today, Most 140 weight oils carry the GL-5 designation.

A few years ago, it was thought that moly was great for everything, and it does work great in sequentials. If you are running it in your synchromesh trans and it works, keep running it, there is nothing wrong with it.

Today I raised the front of my car a few feet off the ground and drained the trans fluid out. I let it drain for a couple hours and ran a quart of 212 through it to help get the old fluid out. After pouring a gallon of fresh fluid in the trans I looked into the Swepco 212 jug and it had a ton of Moly still in the bottom of the jug. I poured a little oil back in the jug and shook it all around then dumped it into the trans. I did this a few times and the Moly just kept on coming out.

For anyone who uses Swepco 212 I recommend dumping half a gallon in the trans then shaking the rest up real good to get the Moly out.

• Like 1