small cracks in my frame

dunefreak

So after unloading my rail from the toyhauler last weekend, I found a few small cracks in my frame in the front end. :laughoff::laughoff: It must have been from when we slammed into that witches eye (giant hole) behind the superbowl. We hit pretty hard, but we didn't get slammed too hard and everything seemed ok so we just kept driving. The cracks are in 2 tubes and some welds across the front end. :( The worst part about this now is the fact that I am gonna have a huge eye-sore on the front end. I know a pretty good touch-up painter that might be able to match it pretty close, but it will be hard being power-coated and all. Oh well, can't have something nice forever if ya wanna play hard. :monkeedance2: I am extremely impressed with the car so far. I have literally beat the crap out of the car driving it HARD for a little over a year now and no major problems at all. I gotta hand it to Larry Short (and Josie/ Sick Sand Travel). They can def. put together a sweet car. Speaking of Josey. He is gonna hook up the repairs on the car this weekend. :laughoff: He said if I bring the car in Sat AM with no suspension on the car, he can V notch, tig weld, plate, gusset, etc and take care of whatever needs to be done. :cripple:

Here are some pics of it on the trailer tonight before I rip the front end off for Saturday. The pics show the spots of the cracks.

post-3-1134704190_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134704226_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134704246_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134704265_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134704282_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134704308_thumb.jpg

From what i gather chromolly is STRONGER but doesnt give like mild steel... Look at it this way... Mild Steel is like a coat hanger you hit it it bends... Chromolly is like a ice cube.. STRONG.. but you hit it and it breaks... Chromolly doesnt have the give that mild steel does in certain situations and that witch's eye wasnt the best thing for that front end especially with steves fat a$$ in the car..

Last night I got my car stripped down to get ready to be fixed. I took off the whole front end and then got sick to my stomach after having to WIRE WHEEL the powder coat off. :thumbsdown::cry::cry::cry::cry:

post-3-1134851268_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134851305_thumb.jpg

I also got him to fill in some holes from some previous crap (who knows) where there were 2 bolts in the frame. He did an awesome job. Can't even tell there were holes there.... I figured what the hell, I have to get a bunch of other spots touched up already, why not fill that them in.

post-3-1134851385_thumb.jpg

The cracks were tig welded then gussetted with steel plates to make sure this doesn't happen again. :thumb: They came out pretty nice. Now not only having added support, there are 2 more spots for some more driving lights too. :grin:

post-3-1134851346_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134851431_thumb.jpg

post-3-1134851483_thumb.jpg

Now to get the paint guy to try and match the powder coat as best as possible. Shouldn't be TOO bad when it's all said and done, but I think after this season I might strip the car down to the bare frame, do some more mods, and then have the frame completely re-powercoated. The car should be like brand new then.

Oh and BTW, Josey informed me that my frame isn't chromolly, it's mild steel. Shows you how much I know. :coocoo:

Car is just about all fixed up now. :laughoff: I got the frame all touched back up today. My buddy, Ken did a great job matching the paint to the powder coat and blending it. If anyone ever needs something touched up, he is da man! :laughoff:

Here are some pics of the frame after touching up a lot of parts on the front end and the 2 holes I had filled on the driver side of the frame. You can barely see the line where the clear bra film is on the last pic. :thumb: (BTW, Clear Bra is the clear film they put on the front of sports cars and hoods for protection against rock chips, Team Acme Glass & Tint hooked that up)

post-3-1135301889_thumb.jpg

post-3-1135301909_thumb.jpg

post-3-1135301928_thumb.jpg

post-3-1135301948_thumb.jpg

The painter did an excellent job. Looks like he matched the paint perfectly. Looks like you're good to go for New Years. :laughoff:

I sure am! :laughoff: The best part is that can drive my rail now. The broken wrists are pretty much healed up so I will be doing a bunch of duning. :D

I sure am! :laughoff: The best part is that can drive my rail now. The broken wrists are pretty much healed up so I will be doing a bunch of duning. :D

Thats right, and when your wrists get tired i will be right there to relieve you.. :laughoff::thumb:

I think I can Hang!! Can't wait to go on a fast run been waiting 3 months since I bought my car for a good hard run with other cars.

Cool, its on then. I like to think I can dune pretty fast in my car. I was right on PaulyPaul's a$$ when he was on his 2 wheeler pushing it FAST! It got a little crazy at some points. I like those kinds of super crazy fast rides, but I leave those rides to weekends where there is nobody out there. Can't wait to go dune with you, ynot, and the rest of the gang. :coocoo: See ya out there. :thumb: