What is the overall Performance opinions of KTM's?

Ross and Alice

What's the deal on KTM's?

Are they competitive performance wise with state of the sport Rice burners?

See them at the dunes all the time, but the blue bikes always seem to be faster.

Interesting company KTM.

They build quite a line of bikes.

A euro bike biz in a world dominated by the Rice Burners.

Unique would be a good word.

We're going to give their quad a good long look when it comes out would like to know more about the stuff they now make.

Did some of their 4 stroke models have over heating problems?

What are your takes on KTM's.

Edited by Ross and Alice

KTM actually powers the new Polaris 525 Outlaw quad. Simular to the 500 outlaw. Retains independant rear suspension. I believe you will get better product support from polaris dealers. That has been a sore point for many KTM owners... parts and product support.

• 2 weeks later...

in the two wheeler world there 2 strokes are some of the fastest awsom bikes hard to get parts some people would argue the point but there 4 strokes are luke warm at best now they might have improved the 525 but that 525sx 2 wheeler gets stomped by the crf450 2 wheeler i watched an xr600 take one apart on china wall then the crf took both of them apart. both the 525 and the 450 were in our camp dunno the owner of the 600r.as far as the quads go ive heard the i.r.s. isnt corner friendly has anyone else seen or rode them ??

i have a 90cc predator for mt daughter and i was getting promos that they were merging with ktm.

Edited by barefoot bob

• 3 weeks later...

Im not a fan of their four strokes... but their 2 strokes are awesome... :D The bigger 4 strokes get a little rough to turn and finding parts is a turn down for me at least.

You are so WRONG when it comes to parts! I've owend 4 KTM's over the last 5yrs and I've never had any problems finding parts nor has any of my friends who have KTM's ever had trouble finding parts!

I can go into problems with EVERY bike maker they all have them. KTM builds a better bike with better components than any JAP bike.........

It's a fact....

If you get a KTM, you are gonna wanna do just that, KTM (kill the mechanic), because they will always cost more to fix than a Japanese bike.

Dude you are way wrong. Parts cost just the same as a JAP bike. The BIG DIFFERENCE is, KTM parts dont break (like a jap bike) they wear out. As far as working on a KTM. I'd rather do that than on any other bike out there. As any of your friends who bought HONDA. Ask them about their $hitty valves. Why does KTM's come with top knotch parts and ALL Jap bike come with crap. Take a look at a KTM up close on a showroom floor and look at Honda. They are worlds apart in the way their are made and the parts.

Tell you what, I'll do my valves in my 4stk in 20min. YOU CAN SAY THAT WITH A JAP BIKE.

Sorry to be so heated it's just I get real worked up when ill-informed people make a statement that they cant back up about KTM.

See them at the dunes all the time, but the blue bikes always seem to be faster.

Interesting company KTM.

We're going to give their quad a good long look when it comes out would like to know more about the stuff they now make.

Ktm's are green stickered (4stk) and most of the 2stk are green stickered (except the sx model). The bikes are jetted real lean so they can pass the California carb restrictions. Like any good bike owner you will jet to your riding areas.

Ktm's are green stickered (4stk) and most of the 2stk are green stickered (except the sx model). The bikes are jetted real lean so they can pass the California carb restrictions. Like any good bike owner you will jet to your riding areas.

a honda 450 ( with its sh*tty valves) will eat the 525 like its a pos !!! proven to many times

a honda 450 ( with its sh*tty valves) will eat the 525 like its a pos !!! proven to many times

On a MX track only! Then I agree. Listen man, I've owned an 2004 Honda 450 for about 2 months. She was probbly the best balanced bike I ever sat on. BUT it was not the best bike I ever owned. My KTM 450XC is the best bike I've ever ridden. Hands down a better bike than my old Honda. I dont ride MX tracks so there's no reason to own a Honda.

On a MX track only! Then I agree. Listen man, I've owned an 2004 Honda 450 for about 2 months. She was probbly the best balanced bike I ever sat on. BUT it was not the best bike I ever owned. My KTM 450XC is the best bike I've ever ridden. Hands down a better bike than my old Honda. I dont ride MX tracks so there's no reason to own a Honda.

you know that is the best and most intelligent come back to an argument ive seen in some time and im afraid you are 100 % correct., even my die hard honda riding son said the same thing you said . :beercheers:

but : he also saus that the balance really helps in the dunes and hill shooting its hard to beat the honda

Edited by barefoot bob

Dude you are way wrong. Parts cost just the same as a JAP bike. The BIG DIFFERENCE is, KTM parts dont break (like a jap bike) they wear out. As far as working on a KTM. I'd rather do that than on any other bike out there. As any of your friends who bought HONDA. Ask them about their $hitty valves. Why does KTM's come with top knotch parts and ALL Jap bike come with crap. Take a look at a KTM up close on a showroom floor and look at Honda. They are worlds apart in the way their are made and the parts.

Tell you what, I'll do my valves in my 4stk in 20min. YOU CAN SAY THAT WITH A JAP BIKE.

Sorry to be so heated it's just I get real worked up when ill-informed people make a statement that they cant back up about KTM.

Not ill-informed. Had my share of problems with KTM's. Hard 2 beat a japanese bike. Thank u very much.

Someone asked about the IRS on the Outlaw. I haven't ridden one yet, but a couple guys at my local shop have said the IRS does great in the corners. My first thought when I saw it was if it would be too soft in corners, and I was told it's not. I messed around with it there on the showroom floor and it felt at least as stiff as my '06 LE does if not stiffer. I'm considering buying one for my second quad, but I want to ride one before I decide.

Polaris is using the Outlaw 525 for all it's racing now, and they have downgraded the factory mods on all the other models, including the Outlaw 500 and the LE models. The 2007 LE is a HUGE downgrade from the 2006 LE I bought. All the great mods that made my '06 a smokin' deal are pretty much gone now including the Douglas Yellow Label wheels, White Bros exhaust, upgraded bumpers, etc. The 2006 standard Predator has nothing on it anymore, not even the Fox suspension.

VegasPredator and I think it looks like they are going to push the Outlaw 525 as their flagship, and leave the rest of the line as "entry level". They are also billing the 525 "the fastest accelerating sport quad", although I don't see any numbers on their site. Some of the reviews I read agree. There is a video for the 525 on their website and they show a bunch of angles of the rider getting on it hard. The suspension looks great.

If i had to adjust my valves as often as you do with that ktm im sure i can do them in 20 min's too!

My comment was based on trying to find parts 4 years ago when i went to purchase a new bike, and from my experience of friends with ktms, and my experience with having to drag one heavy a$$ 4 stroke out of the big bowls of glamis! I have had no problems with my Jap bike.. it has treated me just as well as i treat it.

• 3 weeks later...

If i had to adjust my valves as often as you do with that ktm im sure i can do them in 20 min's too!

Do you understand the maintence schedule and checking of the valves on a KTM or Honda?? Both are pretty much the same. But they are not even close in the time it takes to do them. I can do mine with the tank and shrouds on the bike. I can do mine in about 20-30mins. Can you say that about the honda? I'm not the fasest by any means nor am I the Best. I just know that you and I are talking about 2 totally different things.

No worries bro. Both bikes are awesome!

Edited by CHOPJAW

Do you understand the maintence schedule and checking of the valves on a KTM or Honda?? Both are pretty much the same. But they are not even close in the time it takes to do them. I can do mine with the tank and shrouds on the bike. I can do mine in about 20-30mins. Can you say that about the honda? I'm not the fasest by any means nor am I the Best. I just know that you and I are talking about 2 totally different things.

KTM's suck! Yamaha and Honda are much better!! HAHAHA - J/k! I had to razz you!!! :stirthepot:

I dont ride a honda.... therefore i have no clue how long it takes to adjust valves... I do however ride a yamaha... but i still have no clue as to how long it would take to adjust the valves because i never had too.. Never any signs of my valves going out of whack. NO excessive valve noise, Starts first kick every time, power loss's are all in the 4 y/o piston.. so i dunno what to tell ya. :D

I dont ride a honda.... therefore i have no clue how long it takes to adjust valves... I do however ride a yamaha... but i still have no clue as to how long it would take to adjust the valves because i never had too.. Never any signs of my valves going out of whack. NO excessive valve noise, Starts first kick every time, power loss's are all in the 4 y/o piston.. so i dunno what to tell ya. :D

Cant ask for much more.......

Late

Chop.

Interesting company KTM.

The write up I saw on them is that hey are great on the trail but not a track or dune bike. They got some good remarks on comfort but more dings in area's that are common for sport quads. Polaris makes a good bike but if you are a duner from what I read this is not the bike for it.

Interesting company KTM.

Hey I know Deuce on DDR is all about KTM he might be able to shed some light on this topic. :beercheers:

Just trying to help yoll. :D

Edited by Grimace