Question about pulling toy hauler

Kitcat

My huband and I were thinking of purchasing a small toy hauler, so we don't have to be at the mercy of those who own one!!! My dad works sells RV's in Prescott, AZ, so we'd buy one from him. When we were on his lot in August, we looked at the Jayco's and the Holiday Ramblers. We liked the size of the Jayco Octane series. There's only the 2 of us and our 2 quads, so we don't need a big hauler. Plus, we were hoping to pull it with my Tahoe (it has the bigger engine) or his Dodge 1500. We thought about getting a Dodge 2500, but his truck is less than 2 years old and we're still upsidedown on it.

Do you think my Tahoe could pull the 24 ft hauler? The dry weight is 5490 lbs and it looks like my Tahoe can pull anything up to 7500 - 7700 lbs. We were considering the Tahoe because it's 4 wheel drive. In the winter we'd be going to Armagossa and Dumont - maybe even Jawbone. In the summer we'd go to Utah, where there are hook ups (I call that 5 star camping)!!! So, we could use his truck for that (it's not 4 wheel drive).

Let me know what you all think! I wanted to get some opinions from people who use them on the sand and the mountains.

Thanks and happy turkey day!!!

:shocked2:

Edited by Kitcat

Oh, and also... I noticed on the posts here that Jonny Walker RV doesn't work on RV's that are sold by them. They're the only dealer in town that sells Jayco's (of course). Does anyone know of an RV shop that would work on the Jayco's in the Las Vegas area??? I know we could always take it to Prescott and my dad would take care of us, but that's 4 hours away!!!

:shocked2:

Personaly I have a 21' salem that my son in law tried to hook up on and tow witha 1/2 ton Chevy. I wouldn't have wanted to be in that ride. Maybe your dad should call Johnny walker and see what kind of deal he can work with them to make it easier? And lastly don't believe everything you read about certain dealers and what they will do and won't do. That post was started by someone who had a problem 10 days before the first trip they had planned and wanted the dealer to put it ahead of their customers to get it fixed. Go back and re read that post and I think you will see that.

towing with a half-ton............................................................................

usually the weight posted in the trailer is not the real weight. See if you can weigh it on a cat scale, to get a sense of how much it really is. i have heard horror stories about the weight of the trailer being as much as 2000lbs more than stated.

a common sensical approach would be to not go over 90% of your tahoe's or dodge's tow capacity,

so if your tahoe, theoretically, had a tow cap of 10,000 lbs, You should get a hauler, fully loaded, ready for the dunes, that doesnt come in over 9000 lbs...that is with full water ,fuel, food, gear, quads, what ever else you plan on taking on your trips.

You should look at what the GVWR, or gross vehicle weight rating, of the trailer is. It shouldn't be over the tow cap of your tow vehicles.

just my opinion

good luck

as far as service in the LV area....have your dad call the mfg, and recommend someone else for service.

Personaly I have a 21' salem that my son in law tried to hook up on and tow witha 1/2 ton Chevy. I wouldn't have wanted to be in that ride. Maybe your dad should call Johnny walker and see what kind of deal he can work with them to make it easier? And lastly don't believe everything you read about certain dealers and what they will do and won't do. That post was started by someone who had a problem 10 days before the first trip they had planned and wanted the dealer to put it ahead of their customers to get it fixed. Go back and re read that post and I think you will see that.

Johnny Walker has been good to me...however I bought from them.

There may have been some underlying issues in the story about working on the guys RV. However I was told specifically by a MGR not mentioning any names, that they WILL NOT work on other RVs due to the fact that they put they're customers first. Now that may mean that they would work on a unit purchased from another dealer, but they are so busy with the ones they have sold that they dont have time to get to others, or they just wont do it??? I am not saying anything bad about JWRV, I purchased my TH from them and they have been awsome to me, and I have had some serious problems with my trailer. They have always done they're best to help me and take care of any problems I have had... I would purchase from them again without a doubt.. Also it is very nice if you have a problem (and you will no matter what brand you buy) only having to go down the street to get it serviced. :hello:

I think timing has a lot to do with getting work done for non dealer purchases. I know in the summer they are slow and would probably work on anything to keep their techs busy and cash flow up. However as soon as the weather cooled here they became overwhelmed with RV's needing work before the dune season. You can't tell me that these people didn't know all summer long they had issues and could have made an appointment during the slow season. I as a 2 time purchaser of vehicles from JWRV know they appreciate my business and take care of me when I need service. I chose to spend my money with them because first I got a great deal both times and their service department has gone out of there way to help me. That's why I will continue to buy from them and support them as their one of the few in my opinion that give a crap about their customers. :hello:

Edited by ynot

I would have to say for a tahoe/SUV SUSPENSION stick w/ a superlite megalight a toyhauler made for a 1/2ton and keep it under 23' long. I have been looking at the Extreme RV's Megalite in a 23' front bath.. Dry weight is around 4500 and im good up to 9k'lbs w/ the big tow / air ride a$$ end on my armada. I might even go smaller but am looking for at least 12' of cargo space.

Towing a hauler that starts out weighing about 5500 dry with a Tahoe..... :hello: I wouldn't do it. Just because they say it can tow up to 7500/7700 lbs, doesn't mean towing a toyhauler of that weight is safe. A toyhauler requires a tow vehicle with a little more wheel base and suspension than a Tahoe to be able to tow it safely in certain situations. I'd tow it with the Dodge 1500 before the Tahoe. Just my .02. :thumb:

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it!!! Yeah, my dad's coming out for Thanksgiving, so we're going to have a serious talk about this. I'll ask him about service in our area.

:hello:

towing with a half-ton............................................................................

usually the weight posted in the trailer is not the real weight. See if you can weigh it on a cat scale, to get a sense of how much it really is. i have heard horror stories about the weight of the trailer being as much as 2000lbs more than stated.

a common sensical approach would be to not go over 90% of your tahoe's or dodge's tow capacity,

so if your tahoe, theoretically, had a tow cap of 10,000 lbs, You should get a hauler, fully loaded, ready for the dunes, that doesnt come in over 9000 lbs...that is with full water ,fuel, food, gear, quads, what ever else you plan on taking on your trips.

You should look at what the GVWR, or gross vehicle weight rating, of the trailer is. It shouldn't be over the tow cap of your tow vehicles.

just my opinion

good luck

as far as service in the LV area....have your dad call the mfg, and recommend someone else for service.

Thanks for the insight! Yeah, I want to make sure we don't do something stupid and end up ruining my brand new Tahoe!

I would have to say for a tahoe/SUV SUSPENSION stick w/ a superlite megalight a toyhauler made for a 1/2ton and keep it under 23' long. I have been looking at the Extreme RV's Megalite in a 23' front bath.. Dry weight is around 4500 and im good up to 9k'lbs w/ the big tow / air ride a$$ end on my armada. I might even go smaller but am looking for at least 12' of cargo space.

Yeah, I'd like about 12 ft of cargo space, too. My husband widened his raptor and so our quads probably wouldn't fit side by side. I don't know. I'm beginning to think that we should start with a bigger, better truck and then get the hauler. It's just money, right!! LOL!

Towing a hauler that starts out weighing about 5500 dry with a Tahoe..... :thumb: I wouldn't do it. Just because they say it can tow up to 7500/7700 lbs, doesn't mean towing a toyhauler of that weight is safe. A toyhauler requires a tow vehicle with a little more wheel base and suspension than a Tahoe to be able to tow it safely in certain situations. I'd tow it with the Dodge 1500 before the Tahoe. Just my .02. :argue:

Thanks! I appreciate your 2 cents! Problem is with hubby's truck, it's 2WD. See, we always do stuff a** backwards!! Actually, hubby wanted a truck last year, so we got him one in April. At the time, we didn't have any atv's and just sold our boat. He had a 1500 Ram, then a Jetta and wanted a truck again. So, he got what he wanted. Then... one month later he HAD to get a quad! I was forced to go to Dumont (I've never done the off road thing, nor camped) and I was really ticked because I got stuck at camp. Our friend brought his extra quad for me to ride, but his 16 year old daughter ended up coming - so no riding!!! One month later we were at the Honda dealership buying me a quad. And then we got a 12 ft flat bed trailer. His truck got stuck in the sand at Armgossa, so we got the Tahoe with 4WD (I wanted a new car & got a GM Supplier Discount). Now that the season is upon us, we realize that having a toy hauler would be nice! In hindsight, we would have got a 2500 Dodge in the first place, but we're not that smart!! But hey, I ended up with a new SUV and a quad!!!

Now you've heard my whole sad story!!!!

Edited by Kitcat

Thanks! I appreciate your 2 cents! Problem is with hubby's truck, it's 2WD. See, we always do stuff a** backwards!! Actually, hubby wanted a truck last year, so we got him one in April. At the time, we didn't have any atv's and just sold our boat. He had a 1500 Ram, then a Jetta and wanted a truck again. So, he got what he wanted. Then... one month later he HAD to get a quad! I was forced to go to Dumont (I've never done the off road thing, nor camped) and I was really ticked because I got stuck at camp. Our friend brought his extra quad for me to ride, but his 16 year old daughter ended up coming - so no riding!!! One month later we were at the Honda dealership buying me a quad. And then we got a 12 ft flat bed trailer. His truck got stuck in the sand at Armgossa, so we got the Tahoe with 4WD (I wanted a new car & got a GM Supplier Discount). Now that the season is upon us, we realize that having a toy hauler would be nice! In hindsight, we would have got a 2500 Dodge in the first place, but we're not that smart!! But hey, I ended up with a new SUV and a quad!!!

Now you've heard my whole sad story!!!!

I pull my 21 ft toyhauler with a 2500 Suburban and have some difficulties goin up big hills. Not sure you would be to safe pulling a bigger trailer with a smaller vehicle. If it gets to swaying, your goin to be in trouble. Be safe

Actually Ynot you are wrong if are talking about my post.. :hello: ..don't say something that is incorrect. If you are talking about my post JW told me outright "they do not work on rvs from other dealers", yeah let me take mine back to california where I purchased it. Even if I would have asked JW to work on my trailer 10weeks early the answer would still be no. I think more people agree with me about johny walkers policies.....Call them and find out for yourself, EVEN MY MANUFACTURER TOLD ME THEY HAVE PROBLEMS WITH JOHNY WALKER :thumb:

Anyway pulling that trailer will be very hard especially with the grades you have to climb. I used to pull my 21ft with a chevy 1500 2wd and it was hard on the truck. I made it everywhere I wanted to go, but I am glad I upgraded my truck.

Edited by lindernglamis

Kitcat...If you want to save yourself from alot of this :thumb: and this :thumb: then definetly start with the right tow vehicle. When I got into the trailer life I had brand new F-150 supercrew w/the 5.4 went down and purchased a weekend warrior 22ft trailer "no problem your truck can pull this trailer" yeah right??? loaded it up went to desert on a hill we hit a strong head wind I'm not kidding when I say I thought we were going to end up going backwards, not to mention the fish tailing it did because of the short wheel base. It got better when I looked at my wife said this is not going work :argue: very ugly. Now I have new truck and trailer I cant use went down and purchased a dodge diesel and rolled over $9000 onto the new truck from the other new truck that was only 9 months old. everthing was good......Until last year decide were doing pretty well lets get a 5th wheel went down looked found one hooked up and left so far so good well even though the truck was diesel, the 35ft trailer seem'd claim victory.(03 dodge ok not great) luckily this truck was able to be thrown into our work fleet. I then purchased a 3500 GMC dually (Duramax/allison) The transmission is awsome for towing I dont even feel the 16000 lbs behind me and stopping is also easy.......Bottom line you guys should sit down and try to figure out how far do want to go (more toys, sandrail, rhino,kids) they start eating up alot of space and the weights start climbing fast (Iwas able to feel the difference in just adding gas into the fuel station) someone else also mentioned the ultra-light trailers I was told they were designed for your vehicle situation look in to those. Anything bigger think about a bigger truck......Also the 5th wheel trailers are way easier to pull. Hope something here will help, good luck with your adventure. :hello:

Kitcat...If you want to save yourself from alot of this :laughing: and this :blury: then definetly start with the right tow vehicle. When I got into the trailer life I had brand new F-150 supercrew w/the 5.4 went down and purchased a weekend warrior 22ft trailer "no problem your truck can pull this trailer" yeah right??? loaded it up went to desert on a hill we hit a strong head wind I'm not kidding when I say I thought we were going to end up going backwards, not to mention the fish tailing it did because of the short wheel base. It got better when I looked at my wife said this is not going work :dunno: very ugly. Now I have new truck and trailer I cant use went down and purchased a dodge diesel and rolled over $9000 onto the new truck from the other new truck that was only 9 months old. everthing was good......Until last year decide were doing pretty well lets get a 5th wheel went down looked found one hooked up and left so far so good well even though the truck was diesel, the 35ft trailer seem'd claim victory.(03 dodge ok not great) luckily this truck was able to be thrown into our work fleet. I then purchased a 3500 GMC dually (Duramax/allison) The transmission is awsome for towing I dont even feel the 16000 lbs behind me and stopping is also easy.......Bottom line you guys should sit down and try to figure out how far do want to go (more toys, sandrail, rhino,kids) they start eating up alot of space and the weights start climbing fast (Iwas able to feel the difference in just adding gas into the fuel station) someone else also mentioned the ultra-light trailers I was told they were designed for your vehicle situation look in to those. Anything bigger think about a bigger truck......Also the 5th wheel trailers are way easier to pull. Hope something here will help, good luck with your adventure. :surrender:

I am currently going down the road you have been on. started with a tahoe and atv trailer, upgraded to a 19 foot toyhauler, then upgraded to a dura/alli 4x4. since I got my family involved in the sport, the number of toys has grown, and we are currently maxed out in storage in our 19....but with a ranger, and 2 quads, and 3 people in our family......i cant see the number of toys growing any time soon.

I am sure that everyone who has 20/20 hindsight would have started with a diesel and a huge trailer, but, in reality, they are just getting into the sport, and not quite sure if they are gonna do it forever or not.

I think they are sensibly thinking about this, since they did post this thread to begin with.

they will be fine with a half ton, and a smaller trailer. imo

Kitcat...If you want to save yourself from alot of this :laughing: and this :blury: then definetly start with the right tow vehicle. When I got into the trailer life I had brand new F-150 supercrew w/the 5.4 went down and purchased a weekend warrior 22ft trailer "no problem your truck can pull this trailer" yeah right??? loaded it up went to desert on a hill we hit a strong head wind I'm not kidding when I say I thought we were going to end up going backwards, not to mention the fish tailing it did because of the short wheel base. It got better when I looked at my wife said this is not going work :dunno: very ugly. Now I have new truck and trailer I cant use went down and purchased a dodge diesel and rolled over $9000 onto the new truck from the other new truck that was only 9 months old. everthing was good......Until last year decide were doing pretty well lets get a 5th wheel went down looked found one hooked up and left so far so good well even though the truck was diesel, the 35ft trailer seem'd claim victory.(03 dodge ok not great) luckily this truck was able to be thrown into our work fleet. I then purchased a 3500 GMC dually (Duramax/allison) The transmission is awsome for towing I dont even feel the 16000 lbs behind me and stopping is also easy.......Bottom line you guys should sit down and try to figure out how far do want to go (more toys, sandrail, rhino,kids) they start eating up alot of space and the weights start climbing fast (Iwas able to feel the difference in just adding gas into the fuel station) someone else also mentioned the ultra-light trailers I was told they were designed for your vehicle situation look in to those. Anything bigger think about a bigger truck......Also the 5th wheel trailers are way easier to pull. Hope something here will help, good luck with your adventure. :surrender:

Yeah, we decided we'd better start with a better truck. We're looking at possibly getting a used truck that's maybe 1-2 years old. My husband has got to sell his Ram, but his sister sold her Silverado to Carmax recently and they gave her more than the dealers would have on a trade in. So, we're exploring our options for now!! I want to get the right tow vehicle, so we're not limited on what toy hauler we can get.

I am currently going down the road you have been on. started with a tahoe and atv trailer, upgraded to a 19 foot toyhauler, then upgraded to a dura/alli 4x4. since I got my family involved in the sport, the number of toys has grown, and we are currently maxed out in storage in our 19....but with a ranger, and 2 quads, and 3 people in our family......i cant see the number of toys growing any time soon.

I am sure that everyone who has 20/20 hindsight would have started with a diesel and a huge trailer, but, in reality, they are just getting into the sport, and not quite sure if they are gonna do it forever or not.

I think they are sensibly thinking about this, since they did post this thread to begin with.

they will be fine with a half ton, and a smaller trailer. imo

Yeah, we're going to wait for now. Although, after being a Dumont on Saturday and inhaling dust all day, it would have been nice to have a place to sit inside and escape!!!