Got a Ram 2500 - ready for a toyhauler

Kitcat

Well, my hubby and I went down to the Dodge dealership and upgraded his truck to a 2500. It is soooo cool! We got a 6 inch lift, 37 inch tires and nice rims included. And we got a great deal, which is even better!!!

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what toy hauler to get. We're looking at the Jayco's and Holiday Ramblers (my dad works at an RV dealership in AZ and those are his favorites that they sell). I'd like to stay around 26-28 ft in length. Has anyone seen the new Black Diamond by Holiday Rambler? I guess they're new. My dad was telling me about them last night on the phone, but they haven't got them in yet. I took a look at the floorplans on their website. I like the Jayco Talon, but looks like they don't have them in the 2007 products.

:headbang1:

Edited by Kitcat

I am kinda partial to Warrior and or Rage'n (Made by Warrior) products. The companies really do have excellent product support. They will actually have a mechanic and parts availible to customers at Glamis on the "big" weekends. I purchased a Rage'n / Blaze'n just as National RV was selling that division to Weekend Warrior. They were in transition and were still able to help me in everyway posible. Even when the selling dealer wasn't. Just my.02 worth.

cool, no towing with a half ton!!! :laughing::laughing:

now you can go big with the trailer

NICE!!!!!!

can I offer some advice???

in case you want to add toys later on, like a mini rail, or a side by side, or even anothe quad, get PLENTY of cargo space!!! that is one thing you can NEVER have enough of in a toy hauler

my neighbor has a alfa toyhouse, and expanded his toy collection, and is now looking to knock out the garage wall, to gain another 9 inches!!! :headbang1:

toyhoalso the front sleepers offer you the option of being on the road, and sleeping in the front bedroom, whereas mine, I can only travel a day to my destinations, or sleep in a motel along the way

front sleepers rock!!!, but the downside is they don't offer the most cargo room, unless you look at a 30 ft front sleepr

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

I am kinda partial to Warrior and or Rage'n (Made by Warrior) products. The companies really do have excellent product support. They will actually have a mechanic and parts availible to customers at Glamis on the "big" weekends. I purchased a Rage'n / Blaze'n just as National RV was selling that division to Weekend Warrior. They were in transition and were still able to help me in everyway posible. Even when the selling dealer wasn't. Just my.02 worth.

Yeah, I've heard some good things about Warriors and I like their interiors. Unfortunately, my dad's dealership doesn't sell them. I know my dad will take great care of us, so I really want to buy from him.

:stick_smack:

cool, no towing with a half ton!!! :dunno::think:

now you can go big with the trailer

NICE!!!!!!

can I offer some advice???

in case you want to add toys later on, like a mini rail, or a side by side, or even anothe quad, get PLENTY of cargo space!!! that is one thing you can NEVER have enough of in a toy hauler

my neighbor has a alfa toyhouse, and expanded his toy collection, and is now looking to knock out the garage wall, to gain another 9 inches!!! :laughing:

toyhoalso the front sleepers offer you the option of being on the road, and sleeping in the front bedroom, whereas mine, I can only travel a day to my destinations, or sleep in a motel along the way

front sleepers rock!!!, but the downside is they don't offer the most cargo room, unless you look at a 30 ft front sleepr

Great advice - thank you! I'm glad you mentioned the front sleeper.

Yeah, our friend told us we should really consider a 5th wheel because they're easier to tow. the 2500 is a short bed and it's even shorter than our friend's short bed, so I'm not sure if that's possible. Do you tow a 5th wheel or a travel trailer? My cousins tow a travel trailer (about 26-28 ft long). They go everywhere with it and only had issues going to Pismo, when they got new tires the auto place traded out the tires and since then, they haven't had issues.

We really need it for the 2 of us and our 2 dogs. But, I know we'll be taking friends along a lot of the times.

congrats! to bad i didnt by my truck first so i could have gotten a fifth wheel . but im still happy with my warrior . :stick_smack:

What do you like and not like about having a travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel? Do you find the TT difficult to haul???

Great advice - thank you! I'm glad you mentioned the front sleeper.

Yeah, our friend told us we should really consider a 5th wheel because they're easier to tow. the 2500 is a short bed and it's even shorter than our friend's short bed, so I'm not sure if that's possible. Do you tow a 5th wheel or a travel trailer? My cousins tow a travel trailer (about 26-28 ft long). They go everywhere with it and only had issues going to Pismo, when they got new tires the auto place traded out the tires and since then, they haven't had issues.

We really need it for the 2 of us and our 2 dogs. But, I know we'll be taking friends along a lot of the times.

I have a tag (tow behind).

the only downside about 5th wheels, unless you spend the extra money and get a really good hitch, is that you can't use your bed for anything, because the hitch rails, on the less expensive models of hitches, remain in your bed.

My neighbor tows a 5ver with the same truck I have (I don't know what it is, but my entire neighborhood rolls d-maxes!!!), which is a short bed, and never had an issue with the hitch, or the trailer. he also has a hitch that allows him to leave the hitch on the trailer pin, with no frame rails left in his truck. there are also other 5th wheel hitches that, when removed, allow use of your bed.

you can still do a 5th wheel in your bed, but it would have to be a slider hitch.

just my .02

What do you like and not like about having a travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel? Do you find the TT difficult to haul???

I tow a 34ft Sandpiper tag toyhauler. The thing is huge but I have never had any problems towing it. The only draw back I can think of is turning around with it. With a 5th wheel you have a tighter turning radius, but then again when do you ever really have to make u-turns with a toyhauler? :dunno: The only time I have to do a few point turn with mine is when I dump my tanks at my buddy's back yard. (that sounds funny :stick_smack: ) I have never had a problem with it even in RV parks or parking lots.

The extra bed space is nice for firewood, extra bikes, gas cans, etc. :laughing:

You won't have to buy an expensive hitch either. here's my .02. :D

normal_1_(5).JPG

I tow a 34ft Sandpiper tag toyhauler. The thing is huge but I have never had any problems towing it. The only draw back I can think of is turning around with it. With a 5th wheel you have a tighter turning radius, but then again when do you ever really have to make u-turns with a toyhauler? :gayboy: The only time I have to do a few point turn with mine is when I dump my tanks at my buddy's back yard. (that sounds funny :xmas_grin: ) I have never had a problem with it even in RV parks or parking lots.

The extra bed space is nice for firewood, extra bikes, gas cans, etc. :laughing:

normal_1_(5).JPG

I agree with Pete. I love to have the bed of my truck clear of a hitch. It gives me more options. My trailer is also 34' total length and is no problem to tow. It actually tows better than my old 21'. I think because of the triple axle set-up.

I have a tag (tow behind).

the only downside about 5th wheels, unless you spend the extra money and get a really good hitch, is that you can't use your bed for anything, because the hitch rails, on the less expensive models of hitches, remain in your bed.

My neighbor tows a 5ver with the same truck I have (I don't know what it is, but my entire neighborhood rolls d-maxes!!!), which is a short bed, and never had an issue with the hitch, or the trailer. he also has a hitch that allows him to leave the hitch on the trailer pin, with no frame rails left in his truck. there are also other 5th wheel hitches that, when removed, allow use of your bed.

you can still do a 5th wheel in your bed, but it would have to be a slider hitch.

just my .02

Thanks for the reply. So you don't have any issues towing it? How long is your trailer? Reason I ask is because our friends were telling us that sometimes they see haulers in accidents because of the wind (or whatever the problem) and the worst ones are with tow behinds. I think a tow behind is the best option for us & I'd like to get a front sleeper because it just gives us more options.

:xmas_grin:

I tow a 34ft Sandpiper tag toyhauler. The thing is huge but I have never had any problems towing it. The only draw back I can think of is turning around with it. With a 5th wheel you have a tighter turning radius, but then again when do you ever really have to make u-turns with a toyhauler? :thumb: The only time I have to do a few point turn with mine is when I dump my tanks at my buddy's back yard. (that sounds funny :xmas_grin: ) I have never had a problem with it even in RV parks or parking lots.

normal_1_(5).JPG

Your trailer is really nice! The only thing is that we live in a culdesac, so my husband was thinking that we'd have to turn it around. Because my neighbors at the top of the culdesac park in the street, we have a hard time already turning around with our trucks. The nice thing is that we live 2 houses from the bottom of the culdesac, so we can always back it in and not have to travel too far uphill and park. Or we can park it at the bottom of the hill, but what a pain to load. My neighbors across the street are a**holes and have a fit if we use their driveway to straighten our flatbed trailer to get it in the garage. They claim my husband ruined their driveway with his 4 or 5 tire tracks he's made!!! Our driveway is super clean even with 2 trucks, 2 quads, a trailer and his friends quads that come over!!! Ok - I have to stop venting about them!!!

Thanks for the feedback. My husband was iffy on getting a hauler any longer than 24 or 26 ft.

:gayboy:

Edited by Kitcat

I agree with Pete. I love to have the bed of my truck clear of a hitch. It gives me more options. My trailer is also 34' total length and is no problem to tow. It actually tows better than my old 21'. I think because of the triple axle set-up.

Interesting to hear about the ease of towing the 34 ft trailer. I've been checking out the brands my dad sells today. All of the include: Holiday Rambler, Jayco, Coachman & Keystone. I'll have to see if any of them have a triple axle.

Thanks!!!

Interesting to hear about the ease of towing the 34 ft trailer. I've been checking out the brands my dad sells today. All of the include: Holiday Rambler, Jayco, Coachman & Keystone. I'll have to see if any of them have a triple axle.

Thanks!!!

I use a double Sway-Away set up with my hitch. It takes away the worry of "the tail wagging the dog". We had more problems towing the 21' trailer with our Suburban than we have ever experienced towing the bigger trailer with our 2500HD. I am lucky, we have a cul-de-sac right across from our drive way that allows me to pull in and just back right up into the Rv parking. Goodluck which ever way you go. It's all good!!! :laughing:

I use a double Sway-Away set up with my hitch. It takes away the worry of "the tail wagging the dog". We had more problems towing the 21' trailer with our Suburban than we have ever experienced towing the bigger trailer with our 2500HD. I am lucky, we have a cul-de-sac right across from our drive way that allows me to pull in and just back right up into the Rv parking. Goodluck which ever way you go. It's all good!!! :laughing:

Good to know about the double sway. I'm new to all of this, so I basically know nothing about trailers! A year ago I wouldn't even go camping and I didn't have a quad!!! So, I'm learning as I go!! :-)

The ONLY time I ever had that problem was when I loaded up ISBB's heavy a$$ Samurai in my hauler to go down to Havasu. I loaded up a golf cart, then the Samurai and had a little sway problem on a road going there. Then again you have to expect that if you load your trailer wrong. :coocoo: :gayboy: With 2800 lbs BEHIND the axles you will get that. :thumb::banghead:

Since then I have never had a problem with "the tail wagging the dog". I even load up a Raptor, then the sandrail, THEN another quad behind the sandrail and don't ever get any sway. I don't even have any sway control setup on mine at all either. I am guessing the reason I don't get any sway could be because my truck though. I have a crew cab longbed, 18" wheels w/ E rated tires (less sidewall flex than most tires), and the trailer has quite a bit of tongue weight as well. You can get sway with a 5th wheel too though. (Ask Rhino King :ahhhhh: :blury: ) Just remember to load your trailer properly and not to put too much weight behind the axles and you'll be just fine. If you are really worried about it I heard the dual cam sway control setup from Reese is good piece of mind. I haven't gotten any white knuckles towing my trailer yet so I haven't forked out the couple hundred $$ for one. :dunno:

FYI: I doubt you'd be able to turn any toyhauler around in a cul-de-sac unless the trailer is really small and there are no cars parked on the curb. :laughing:

Good luck with your purchase. Hope I have been of some help. :xmas_grin:

Thanks for the reply. So you don't have any issues towing it? How long is your trailer? Reason I ask is because our friends were telling us that sometimes they see haulers in accidents because of the wind (or whatever the problem) and the worst ones are with tow behinds. I think a tow behind is the best option for us & I'd like to get a front sleeper because it just gives us more options.

:laughing:

my trailer is only 19 ft long.

I have seen trailers, 30 foot+ whipping around, but alot more than the wind was responsible for it.

the biggest problem with uncontrollability is the wheelbase of the tow vehicle. the shorter it is, the harder to keep the trailer in check. I saw an H2 towing a WW FSW32, and what looked to be an extra 2 feet added. not only was the H2 taxed, suspension-wise in the rear, but the short wheel base was allowing the trailer to control the tow vehicle, which isn't the optimal situation :xmas_grin:

with your truck though, and the 2500 suspension, you havethe wheel base to go 30 ft +

as far as living in a cul-de-sac.....you could always back up into the culdesac from the cross street!!!

Don't sweat having a shortbed Dodge and a 5er! We are on our second 5er with our shortbed Dodge. Get a slider hitch and you will have no problems. Flip the axles on your trailer (because of your lift and 37's) and make sure you have tires rated for the pin weight. gOOd luck!

P.S. I have a 16K Reese slider for sale if you want it let me no and make an offer!

101_0751.jpg

a bad picture the day we picked it up...

atthedealer.jpg

The ONLY time I ever had that problem was when I loaded up ISBB's heavy a$$ Samurai in my hauler to go down to Havasu. I loaded up a golf cart, then the Samurai and had a little sway problem on a road going there. Then again you have to expect that if you load your trailer wrong. :coocoo: :gayboy: With 2800 lbs BEHIND the axles you will get that. :thumb::banghead:

Since then I have never had a problem with "the tail wagging the dog". I even load up a Raptor, then the sandrail, THEN another quad behind the sandrail and don't ever get any sway. I don't even have any sway control setup on mine at all either. I am guessing the reason I don't get any sway could be because my truck though. I have a crew cab longbed, 18" wheels w/ E rated tires (less sidewall flex than most tires), and the trailer has quite a bit of tongue weight as well. You can get sway with a 5th wheel too though. (Ask Rhino King :ahhhhh: :blury: ) Just remember to load your trailer properly and not to put too much weight behind the axles and you'll be just fine. If you are really worried about it I heard the dual cam sway control setup from Reese is good piece of mind. I haven't gotten any white knuckles towing my trailer yet so I haven't forked out the couple hundred $$ for one. :dunno:

FYI: I doubt you'd be able to turn any toyhauler around in a cul-de-sac unless the trailer is really small and there are no cars parked on the curb. :laughing:

Good luck with your purchase. Hope I have been of some help. :xmas_grin:

Yeah, we will have 2 quads to load for now. My husband widened his Raptor, so it's a few inches wider than my Honda. I was thinking that we'd probably load them lengthwise, not side by side. If we ever got a Rhino, then we'd have to figure that out (one of the reasons why I'm trying to save cargo space). We transport the quads on a 12 ft flat bed Big Tex trailer right now and they fit perfect. So, I'm keeping that measurement in mind for this hauler. Good to know about the weight and axles! My husband works with loading trucks a lot, so he probably already knew this!!! I, on the other hand, didn't!!! :-)

Thanks!!!

Don't sweat having a shortbed Dodge and a 5er! We are on our second 5er with our shortbed Dodge. Get a slider hitch and you will have no problems. Flip the axles on your trailer (because of your lift and 37's) and make sure you have tires rated for the pin weight. gOOd luck!

P.S. I have a 16K Reese slider for sale if you want it let me no and make an offer!

101_0751.jpg

a bad picture the day we picked it up...

atthedealer.jpg

Good to know. Yeah, his tires are mud grapplers (they just look really big to me)!!! My dad said we could flip the axles, if needed!

Thanks!

ya as long as you have the right set up your dodge will pull it cause they rock i pull a 34' end to end tounge trailer with mine box type and with all the crap i carry in it i way out about 12,000 lbs dodge handles it..

mine has 6" lift and 37s i put 4:11s and airbags on mine with a cummins diesel and the truck is just phenominal best truck i ever owned so far ................................... :dunno:

Edited by barefoot bob