Who else has a Suzuki LTZ400?

Foxysandchick

I have so many questions and so much to learn and not enough money :laughing:. So basically I just bought my first quad and I can't spend a whole lot of money on it just yet (and I think I got screwed on the buy too :loser:) so I am wondering what do you all suggest I modify first? It is completely stock at the moment with Sandstar paddle tires on the back and dirt tires on the front, I don't know the sizes or anything :blush:. The main things that I would like most is to soften the ride a little, the guys say that will come with breaking it in :mic:, but I don't weigh very much and I don't know if it will break in enough for my liking?? Also it seems (if I can explain this well enough) that the steering isn't as sharp in the turns as the other bikes I have ridden and I assume that is because I was riding a racing version (R450 with mods and stuff I don't understand yet) so is there something I can do to make it handle in the turns better?? Someone mentioned widening the front end :dunno:. I am not looking for power mods at the moment, I prefer enjoying the ride first then going fast later when I learn more. :laughing: Oh and remember I am new so speak in stupid terms for me, thanks. :coocoo:

I have so many questions and so much to learn and not enough money :laughing:. So basically I just bought my first quad and I can't spend a whole lot of money on it just yet (and I think I got screwed on the buy too :loser:) so I am wondering what do you all suggest I modify first? It is completely stock at the moment with Sandstar paddle tires on the back and dirt tires on the front, I don't know the sizes or anything :blush:. The main things that I would like most is to soften the ride a little, the guys say that will come with breaking it in :mic:, but I don't weigh very much and I don't know if it will break in enough for my liking?? Also it seems (if I can explain this well enough) that the steering isn't as sharp in the turns as the other bikes I have ridden and I assume that is because I was riding a racing version (R450 with mods and stuff I don't understand yet) so is there something I can do to make it handle in the turns better?? Someone mentioned widening the front end :dunno:. I am not looking for power mods at the moment, I prefer enjoying the ride first then going fast later when I learn more. :laughing: Oh and remember I am new so speak in stupid terms for me, thanks. :coocoo:

i had that bike and it was awesome,,it should be a great bike for ya,,i would keep it stock,,,change the tires in the front to the sand stars with two grooves up front that will give you better turning...dont put a lot of money into a bike unless your going to keep it for a long time!!!put five pounds in your tires in the sand that will soften the ride,,

i had that bike and it was awesome,,it should be a great bike for ya,,i would keep it stock,,,change the tires in the front to the sand stars with two grooves up front that will give you better turning...dont put a lot of money into a bike unless your going to keep it for a long time!!!put five pounds in your tires in the sand that will soften the ride,,

Thanks! I didn't plan on doing much to it ever, but I do plan on having it for a long time. I was pricing some tires for the front and checking into which style would be best, so that will probably be coming soon, the R450 I learned on had sand tires with the 2 grooves. I will check what pressure I have in them and make that adjustment for this weekend. Thanks much :D.

on top of that a-1 advice above, i dunno if the suzukis got it but you should make sure your suspension AND spring adjustments are sofened. if you think you were hosed they could have done nothing for you, and most suspension these days are adjustable, "breaking in" perioud pretty much means get your bike outa here .unless its already done .have someone who knows bikes look and see if there is a spring adjustment if there is look and see if the castle nut it looks like lil square spikes around the threaded part of the shock is screwed all the way to the top or not . if not take it to a smal reputable shop and ask them to make adjustments for you.....................( i take it your lv so ask the LV boys here. our friends have one and his wife loves it you bought a good bike !!!

soft spring and easing up on the compression and rebound are gonna make it handle in corneres soft but RK nailed it put a grooved tire on front like the sand star

shouldnt be pricy at all, depends on shop price per hour and time minimum its a 30 min job if your slow.

Edited by barefoot bob

I agree with RK I had one also great dependable bike not alot of power but a good quad.. widening the front end will make it turn even wider wont turn as sharp ,I put a eyeball engineering long travel front with elka shocks on mine it made it alot smoother especially through the desert, open the top of the airbox up and put a pipe (yoshamira) and youll love it..

on top of that a-1 advice above, i dunno if the suzukis got it but you should make sure your suspension AND spring adjustments are sofened. if you think you were hosed they could have done nothing for you, and most suspension these days are adjustable, "breaking in" perioud pretty much means get your bike outa here .unless its already done .have someone who knows bikes look and see if there is a spring adjustment if there is look and see if the castle nut it looks like lil square spikes around the threaded part of the shock is screwed all the way to the top or not . if not take it to a smal reputable shop and ask them to make adjustments for you.....................( i take it your lv so ask the LV boys here. our friends have one and his wife loves it you bought a good bike !!!

soft spring and easing up on the compression and rebound are gonna make it handle in corneres soft but RK nailed it put a grooved tire on front like the sand star

shouldnt be pricy at all, depends on shop price per hour and time minimum its a 30 min job if your slow.

The owners manual says to take it to a shop to have the suspension adjusted due to it needing a special tool, I was going to ask them about that when I took it in for the first service. I dont have the bike here to look at so I am not sure if the castle nut is screwed all the way up, but I dont think it is. There is an adjustment screw for the compression and rebound that we already adjusted a little bit, but I will have to check it this weekend cause I think we lightened that as much as it goes already. I am going to the shop adjust the suspension when I take it in after Pres weekend. I have the maintenance package on my bike and the shop seems pretty workable for deals so I dont think it will be a problem getting those adjustments made.

The guys at the shop said they would give me a front set of sandstar for $170, that is a sale price but I dont know if that is reasonable or not. I paid $250 for the rear tires.

I agree with RK I had one also great dependable bike not alot of power but a good quad.. widening the front end will make it turn even wider wont turn as sharp ,I put a eyeball engineering long travel front with elka shocks on mine it made it alot smoother especially through the desert, open the top of the airbox up and put a pipe (yoshamira) and youll love it..

Oh I see..Thanks. I will be doing the pipe and power stuff later when I get better at riding. I am not worried about having a fast bike or anything like that, cause I can always take out one of the guys bikes for some quick thrills. :D

:DDRrocks:

Thanks! I didn't plan on doing much to it ever, but I do plan on having it for a long time. I was pricing some tires for the front and checking into which style would be best, so that will probably be coming soon, the R450 I learned on had sand tires with the 2 grooves. I will check what pressure I have in them and make that adjustment for this weekend. Thanks much :D.

Gimme a Call I can get quite a few diffrent sand tires.. just not skat traks...

866-6-ShopTT I will beat any local shop here in town hands down. :D

I just sold my KFX400 last week. The susp was alot better ride then the 450, and the throttle is great. I really liked the feel of mine, maybe because I weigh (a little) more, but it rode/felt really good. The shop will be able to get it set up for ya. Just a matter of loosening it up some....Ya got a good quad there....SF Woody :DDRrocks:

Rhino King and Barefoot Bob both nailed it. The Z400 is a great bike. We've had my wife's bike for 3 years now, and the only thing I've had to do was put a new battery in it. It's got plenty of power (hers does have mods) and it handles awesome. With a few minor adjustments they should be able to soften that suspension up for 'ya, too. Keep up on oil-changes and keep the air filter clean and you'll get many trouble-free years out of it! :D

That is why I bought it instead of the R450..well and it had a little to do with the price, but overall I bought it cause I heard it is a reliable bike and great to learn on. I love the throttle and the clutch, the reverse is nifty also.

I just sold my KFX400 last week. The susp was alot better ride then the 450, and the throttle is great. I really liked the feel of mine, maybe because I weigh (a little) more, but it rode/felt really good. The shop will be able to get it set up for ya. Just a matter of loosening it up some....Ya got a good quad there....SF Woody :DDRrocks:

The throttle is awesome. My sister loves riding my bike also, but she usually gets stuck on the yfz450 which ends up hurting her hands and arms (she isnt as 'sporty' as I am) so sometimes I trade and let her use mine. One of the guys I ride with doesnt weigh much more than me and he thought it was a little stiff also but the heavier people in our little group seem to like it, so I guess it is just a preference thing. You have been a great help, thank you again. :thumb: