H.P. vs. Torque

DeuelorDie

HP & Ft Lbs  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which one for the dunes in a 1600-2000lb buggy, all other details aside?

• 300 hp @ 6200 rpm & 260 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm
    • 260 hp @ 5500 rpm & 235 ft lbs @ 2800 rpm

:beercheers:

300 hp @ 6200 rpm & 260 ft lbs @ 5000 rpm

or

260 hp @ 5500 rpm & 235 ft lbs @ 2800 rpm

Which one for the dunes in a 1600-2000lb buggy, all other details aside?

I know its hard but we gotta try leave all other aspects and variables aside. Unless there is one factor that you feel MUST be considered!

If the first one makes 300 / 260 then at 5250 the torque is lower...lets say 250, and since hp and torque equal each other at 5250 then it must make about 250 hp at 5250. 260 @ 5500....sounds like it is the second engine. The second couldnt be a suby, no suby will only go to 5500? Just spin it higher and make more power.

I like the second one, but nothing was said if these were peak numbers?

If they are, the second must be making 234 ft lbs at 5250.....if it makes 260 hp at 5500.

Basically they are the same, just the low end torque of the first is unknown. At the same rpm they are nearly identical.

numbers given are generaly peek numbers. the spread is a little eratic some morors are small light and desighend to wind out while others are stronger at lower rpms. how do you drive both numbers are low like vw turbo numbers or a small subie

small subies go to 7000.

Those are basically the same , the onlt difference could be down low, but thats just as much effected by turbo, exhuast, and tune. From 5000 to 6000 they are with 10 hp and 15 ft lbs of each other.

If the first one makes 300 / 260 then at 5250 the torque is lower...lets say 250, and since hp and torque equal each other at 5250 then it must make about 250 hp at 5250. 260 @ 5500....sounds like it is the second engine. The second couldnt be a suby, no suby will only go to 5500? Just spin it higher and make more power.

I like the second one, but nothing was said if these were peak numbers?

If they are, the second must be making 234 ft lbs at 5250.....if it makes 260 hp at 5500.

Basically they are the same, just the low end torque of the first is unknown. At the same rpm they are nearly identical.

These are PEAK numbers.

I would personally go with the power at lower rpm. For me I always look for long lasting power and

torque I like to dune not hill shoot. Looks like from the nubers your going to have to keep the revs

up for all the power for # 1 and #2 would be power at any rpm. :dunno:

Brice, thats what I m saying, with out the whole graph its impossible to tell if #1 has less power down low. They are for all comparisons the same. The power curves could be the same engine on different days they are so close. It could easily be the same engine with a retune between pulls even.

I would definately go with the 2nd engine.The torque is at a lower rpm and I know you arent going to be sitting at the hill all day.

It would be nice to have low end torque for drivability.

These are both Honda engine guys.

Good to go, then. :banghead:

I know the 3.5 honda does well even without a turbo.

You'll like to add it later. :D

Can we have all the factors yet? :thumbsdown:

Whatcha' buildin'?

could that not be the same motor ??? or are both those numbers truly peak numbers i dont see how 2800 rpm can be peak tourqe but who knows......................

One is a 3.5 Honda/Acura and the other is a 3.2 Acura/Honda. I just seem to be torn because both are such good motors. I wish I could see the actual Dyno Charts to compare at all RPM. I'll just keep searchin. She's budgeted for a maiden voyage on Presidents day 2008. You know how it goes with the Wifee :shout: and all so hopefully everything goes as planned. :dunno: Heck its only 20K right :D

I have a 3.2 Acura. If your choices are between a 3.2 Acura and a 3.5 Honda,go with the Honda. Then spend an extra 4K and put a turbo on the Mutha Bitchezz. :laughoff::blink:

Read that suckers lips:

Is that guy sayin Mutha Bitchezzzzz Mutha Bitchezzzzz Mutha Bitchezzzzz >> :ninja:

:dance: :mic: :crackhead:

The whole world is going to Mutha Bitchezzz. :laughoff:

I bet Tim is stoked :rockwoot:

-----------------------

Oh yeah, the topic. He said he's on a Wifee controlled budget but a turbo will come someday.

:laughing:

For now He's "got to keep it Aspirated".

:laughing: Oh Sorry :woo_hoo: I heard that on Rickie Lake.

How much do these cost? Ever consider a turbo 3.8 buick? 400 hp is super easy and 450 ft lbs. 550 is even pretty easy.

ps, I ve got about 10 of them, so yes Im biased.

US 3.5 Engine, harness, and Burnable ECU out of a 2005 RL with around 40k, $1200. I still have not figured out how some of these "sand rail engine specialty shops" are charging what they do. Yeah maybe its bolt and go, but it's not that complicated to get an adapter plate, clean up a harness, and E-Prom a Honda ECU. DIY brothas DIY

What do one of those 3.8's cost?

Edited by DeuelorDie

I don't know if there is any truth to this or not but here it goes. Wy buddy bought a LT car from

Wicked and put a turbo honda/acura in it . He was told by Wicked that yes the 3.5 put out more power

but has more problems than the 3.2 .I think he said problems with rocker arms on the 3.5 .Just

something you may want to check into before buying. That 3.2 with a turbo hauls major azz it

smokes V8 cars all day and the balance in the car with the lighter engine is great.Hope that

helps in decision. :flipoff::headbang1: