YFZ 450 Help

Yeah, I believe it is the waterpump shaft seal that leaks on those. That is a common problem from what I have heard and seen. I think there is an update for them.

One of the 450 gurus should be chiming in any minute. :ninja:

water pump and seal....they are not that expenssive, but if you do replace it, replace it with a Boyseen high flow, if your gonna spend the money and replace something, replace it with something better.

Just the seal and o ring from yamaha, the boyeseen dont do nada, so dont wast your money..

• 2 weeks later...

Must be an 04, I have been lucky so far, mine is still in working order.

how is that thing running now anyway?Im almost done with mine.It should be up and running by the weekend. :ban-split: Never do a rebuild,i thought i would just powdercoat and ended up with a new frame and completely new motor. :laughing:

post-16-1178059076.jpg

post-16-1178059437.jpg

Its very very close.My parts should be here today.Sporting a 480 now.Hope it works.We shall see :laughing:

Ill post up pics when its complete.I got a new 06 head with some sweet porting done specifically for the bigbore.

Edited by Sand_YFZ

how is that thing running now anyway?Im almost done with mine.It should be up and running by the weekend. :ban-split: Never do a rebuild,i thought i would just powdercoat and ended up with a new frame and completely new motor. :laughing:

post-16-1178059076.jpg

post-16-1178059437.jpg

Its very very close.My parts should be here today.Sporting a 480 now.Hope it works.We shall see :laughing:

Ill post up pics when its complete.I got a new 06 head with some sweet porting done specifically for the bigbore.

Mine is running good, just ordered a +4, the stocker was going to end up killing me. I am thinking about sending it to Hargrove again this summer. But I need to look at getting a second bike also.

No matter what engine that's water cooled, add some "Bars Leak" or equivalent, ethylene glycol, or any other synthetic alcohol has no lubrication properties at all and the seals wear fast and even deposit seal material on the pump shaft without some sort of lubricant. Nothing new, the '87 to '92 LT 250 and 500 factory service manuals say that these quads were shipped from the factory with "Bars Leak" added. I use water pump lube in my diesel pusher, truck, quads and, don't laugh cause it works, squirt a GL5 synthetic oil UP the weep hole, my Cummins water pump was a little sticky to rotate when changing the belt so shot some up there and it smoothed out and was 55k miles ago so it didn't hurt it at least. :ban-split:

Mine is running good, just ordered a +4, the stocker was going to end up killing me. I am thinking about sending it to Hargrove again this summer. But I need to look at getting a second bike also.

Right on.Going to a full drag setup?What all have you done so far?

Right on.Going to a full drag setup?What all have you done so far?

I would love to, but for now still have to dune it. I still have the same stuff done to the motor but nothing to the suspension. If I could get a second bike, then I could pull off the nerfs and start shedding weight and buy the light parts. I saw Sandemn is selling his YFZ550, but when I talked to hargrove he said is was faster as a 517. Who are you getting your 480 parts and head work from, CPCPatriot?

I would love to, but for now still have to dune it. I still have the same stuff done to the motor but nothing to the suspension. If I could get a second bike, then I could pull off the nerfs and start shedding weight and buy the light parts. I saw Sandemn is selling his YFZ550, but when I talked to hargrove he said is was faster as a 517. Who are you getting your 480 parts and head work from, CPCPatriot?

....KBR....Mine still has full brakes,Elkas,and light output.I went with a kickstart though this time and put a JJandA play axle on.It 100% duneable but light still.

....KBR....Mine still has full brakes,Elkas,and light output.I went with a kickstart though this time and put a JJandA play axle on.It 100% duneable but light still.

Yeah I saw the pics when you were converting it back, did you end up selling off all of your JJ and A front wheels and stuff? I thought about the kick start but the higher the compression it seems like more work ha ha ha.

Yeah I saw the pics when you were converting it back, did you end up selling off all of your JJ and A front wheels and stuff? I thought about the kick start but the higher the compression it seems like more work ha ha ha.

No,i had a fireball axle before.They just arent very good quality.I had broken it before.The jjanda is known for its durability and comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.Those wheels are the same ones ive always had.As far as the kickstart and high comp,it wont be a problem at all.All my buddy's YFZ's have 14-1 comp with kickstart.Besides that i have plenty of a$$ to kick it over :D I know a guy who raced his YFZ in the Pismo endurance race with the jjanda axle and it held up no problem,so i feel pretty confident with this one.I will have it running here real soon.I think its gonna rip.

No,i had a fireball axle before.They just arent very good quality.I had broken it before.The jjanda is known for its durability and comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.Those wheels are the same ones ive always had.As far as the kickstart and high comp,it wont be a problem at all.All my buddy's YFZ's have 14-1 comp with kickstart.Besides that i have plenty of a$$ to kick it over :D I know a guy who raced his YFZ in the Pismo endurance race with the jjanda axle and it held up no problem,so i feel pretty confident with this one.I will have it running here real soon.I think its gonna rip.

I was thinking about a play axle, but not sure, if I can figure out a way to get a second bike then I don't want to spend money on something I won't keep. But I am not sure if it is even possible. Are you making any trips to somewhere cooler to test the new motor?

I was thinking about a play axle, but not sure, if I can figure out a way to get a second bike then I don't want to spend money on something I won't keep. But I am not sure if it is even possible. Are you making any trips to somewhere cooler to test the new motor?

Memorial i may be traveling to one of the Sand Mountains.Either Utah or Nevada.Im leaning towards Utah right now.I will most likely make a scorching day trip for a few hours for some tuning to Dumont.Maybe this weekend.Kinda playing it by ear.Also I plan on making the night drags at Dumont.Ive spent alot of $$ and time on this project and really want to go riding soon. :banghead:

Memorial i may be traveling to one of the Sand Mountains.Either Utah or Nevada.Im leaning towards Utah right now.I will most likely make a scorching day trip for a few hours for some tuning to Dumont.Maybe this weekend.Kinda playing it by ear.Also I plan on making the night drags at Dumont.Ive spent alot of $$ and time on this project and really want to go riding soon. :banghead:

Seems like a lot of guys are headed to NV Sand Moutain, never been but heard it is a big deal. I totally understand about lots of money, I need to start shedding weight but keep it dunable for now. I wanted to do the duner class last 4sw I think I could have taken a second behind CPC Patriot, but not sure. Now I just want to do more and eventually have a hill shooter and a second bike for a duner. I need to go out and take some pointer from the experienced guys. Scott has been a big help with getting me started and pointing me in the right direction. Summer kills, have to make trips to Utah to ride some dunes and not fry.