Bought a rhino in Utah in 06 just got a letter sayin i owe $ on tax..

JoeDuner

I was wondering if anyone bought a forwheeler in Utah & then received a letter in the mail saying you owe money.. I got my Rhino in Cedar & got a bill saying i owe money on sales tax. I got the rhino April of 06 & just got the tax bill. If you received this as well tell me what you did about it. Should i just pay it? I just wanted a little info on this. Does that mean i owe sales tax on all my bikes? Thanks

I answered the Craigslist post too. I also bought a Rhino in Cedar last year and also got the letter last week. The dealer assured me that they do not give out that info to Nv but that must be a lie and I plan on blabbing that all over the internet so they will lose a buttload of sales.

3 guys I work with bought atv's in Utah 3 years ago and last year got the same letter and after calling the number on the letter got them to drop the extra fees and just paid the sales tax. We went online and looked at the law and it pretty much says that if you buy anything out of state and do not pay sales tax on that item in that state then you must pay Nv sales tax when you bring that item into this state. It says all items (not just atvs, or quads) so that means if you buy soda pop in Utah and don't pay sales tax there then you must pay sales tax when you get here. It is on the Nevada Dept. of Taxation website.

I hope someone finds out, I called my DMV in Pahrump when I got the Rhino and they said they don't issue titles or registrations anymore and I asked how do I pay sales tax and they said: don't know. I called the DMV in Cedar last week and I can pay sales tax there of 6.75% which is the same as Pahrump but I have a problem with getting the letter and they don't even know if I brought the Rhino into Nevada or not, but I am guilty until proven innocent.

Thought of that but does that open lines of communications and admit guilt and then get in a pissin contest to prove it is in Oregon?

Plus everyone that buys in Utah and doesn't pay sales tax signs a form that says they are not residents of Utah and didn't pay sales tax but will pay in Nevada or something like that but I didn't get a copy of that form. Maybe someone has a copy???

Guys please pay the tax, my sister and her husband are going through the same thing on bike they bought 5 years ago and now are being hit with fines and penalties. I do not want to see anyone pay more than they should have already. I don't think that they go after everyone or can't but it is not worth the risk.

Guys please pay the tax, my sister and her husband are going through the same thing on bike they bought 5 years ago and now are being hit with fines and penalties. I do not want to see anyone pay more than they should have already. I don't think that they go after everyone or can't but it is not worth the risk.

Its the dealers problem if sales tax was not collected. The dealers are the ones in trouble because they sold the machine without collecting sales tax and now Utah wants them to pay after the fact. Utah has gone back and forth on this a couple of times(collecting sales tax vs dont bother). Who is to say that your purchase price didnt already include the sales tax since the machine was delivered paid in full? Who sent the letter, the state of Utah or the dealer? Bet the dealer did since they owe the state the sales tax they did not collect. This is strictly a Utah internal problem between the state and the dealers. If you received your machine, paid the bill in full, I would assume the sales tax was paid(whose to say it wasnt included in the sales price?).

Except for the form that everyone signs saying they live out of state and did not pay Utah tax so its hard to say later that you thought it was included in the price.

Its the dealers problem if sales tax was not collected. The dealers are the ones in trouble because they sold the machine without collecting sales tax and now Utah wants them to pay after the fact. Utah has gone back and forth on this a couple of times(collecting sales tax vs dont bother). Who is to say that your purchase price didnt already include the sales tax since the machine was delivered paid in full? Who sent the letter, the state of Utah or the dealer? Bet the dealer did since they owe the state the sales tax they did not collect. This is strictly a Utah internal problem between the state and the dealers. If you received your machine, paid the bill in full, I would assume the sales tax was paid(whose to say it wasnt included in the sales price?).

Yeah not true, you signed a form saying that you would pay tax in your home state, car dealers have the same form.

TELL THEM YOU SOLD IT.

That does not matter, two of the bikes my sister is getting hit with were sold 2 years ago. You still bought the bike and never paid your sales tax.

I would have to agree with you on this but it is complicated. As a business owner here in vegas I have to pay sales tax to the state for everything I sell. They audit MY paperwork. If I did not collect the sales tax from a customer then I am screwed and have to pay it anyway. They only go by what I sold. They do not go back to the customer and say "Oh, this guy screwed up, you now owe us sales tax". The state can't do that. It is not the responsibility of the buyer, it is the business that has to do it.

Now, for the complicated part as you already know. Nevada has found a way to force you to pay it by registration in nevada. If you don't register or take the bike somewhere else then there is NO way they can make you pay. But if you want to register then you have to pay. Almost a catch 22.

But as far as the dealership sending you a letter saying you owe them sales tax money, That's their mistake.

Except that DMV will not register or title an atv. I just got a letter from a quad that I bought in 2003. Anyone come up with anything yet? Of course none of these ever made it to Nevada!

Except that DMV will not register or title an atv. I just got a letter from a quad that I bought in 2003. Anyone come up with anything yet? Of course none of these ever made it to Nevada!

they will send you a form if you call them that you can fill out to contest it. they wanted us to pay taxes on two polaris 500 sportsmans. and since we own a cabin in mammoth and have some of our vehicles registerd to the cabins address all we had to do is fill it out saying that the 4wheelers stay at the cabin in Utah and we didn't have to pay the taxes...

they will send you a form if you call them that you can fill out to contest it. they wanted us to pay taxes on two polaris 500 sportsmans. and since we own a cabin in mammoth and have some of our vehicles registerd to the cabins address all we had to do is fill it out saying that the 4wheelers stay at the cabin in Utah and we didn't have to pay the taxes...

Did they send you something back saying you did not have to pay the taxes? If so that is cool but it seems to me (knowing the IRS is money hungry) that they would come after you even more since you basically filled out a form saying that you were taking them out of state and paying the tax in the state that they would be registered in. That would be cool if that is all that it takes, because my dad has a cabin in Duck Creek.

Did they send you something back saying you did not have to pay the taxes? If so that is cool but it seems to me (knowing the IRS is money hungry) that they would come after you even more since you basically filled out a form saying that you were taking them out of state and paying the tax in the state that they would be registered in. That would be cool if that is all that it takes, because my dad has a cabin in Duck Creek.

yeah they sent some paper work back that said it was ok, and said to file it away...

Jerry I talked to my friend he paid on one the other he said tell them they stay in utah..at your cabin, you shouldnt hear from them again,, his letter was from nevada!!was yours from nevada or utah?

Letter is from Nevada Dept. of Taxation. Last one looks like a legal form when you get sued but I thinks its just for show and to scare you, looks very official. Glad I own property in Utah!

Letter is from Nevada Dept. of Taxation. Last one looks like a legal form when you get sued but I thinks its just for show and to scare you, looks very official. Glad I own property in Utah!

sounds like the same one my buddy got....if its in utah why should you owe nevada taxes... :happydrunks: