Bound4Dirt Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 Well, I did stage II and stage III and III is the best for power of course. CEL does come on under WOT going up hills or what not and turns off and you let off. I was told its from over boost. Stage II it doesn't come on. The power is better and noticeable. Still not the fastest, but it is now in the race. The Hypertech cost me $299 shipped! Quote
mineurbiz Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 Well, I did stage II and stage III and III is the best for power of course. CEL does come on under WOT going up hills or what not and turns off and you let off. I was told its from over boost. Stage II it doesn't come on. The power is better and noticeable. Still not the fastest, but it is now in the race. The Hypertech cost me $299 shipped! I have a hypertech in stage III all the time and it is never has had an issue. Quote
dunefreak Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 I keep mine on stage 2 no matter what just for reliability purposes. Quote
mineurbiz Posted July 24, 2007 Posted July 24, 2007 I keep mine on stage 2 no matter what just for reliability purposes. I thought about trying stage 1 for towing to Dumont just out of curiosity to see what it does for gas milage Quote
Richard Cheese Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 hey ron, wtf is CEL??? on my predator, I can only go stage 2 65 hp. anything higher, and my tranny starts throwin codes... when I tow, I tow stock, as I don't have a pyro yet Quote
dunefreak Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 hey ron, wtf is CEL??? on my predator, I can only go stage 2 65 hp. anything higher, and my tranny starts throwin codes... when I tow, I tow stock, as I don't have a pyro yet I was thinknig the same thing , but then it dawned on me- Check Engine Light. Just like SES light- Service Engine Soon. Quote
Richard Cheese Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 I was thinknig the same thing , but then it dawned on me- Check Engine Light. Just like SES light- Service Engine Soon. or the PFO light pull the effe over Quote
Bound4Dirt Posted July 25, 2007 Author Posted July 25, 2007 I thought about trying stage 1 for towing to Dumont just out of curiosity to see what it does for gas milage CEL=Check engine light Quote
Bound4Dirt Posted July 25, 2007 Author Posted July 25, 2007 I was thinknig the same thing , but then it dawned on me- Check Engine Light. Just like SES light- Service Engine Soon. Quote
Bound4Dirt Posted July 25, 2007 Author Posted July 25, 2007 They say this is better http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=102...ion=show_detail Quote
Big_Gunz_ Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 I run my truck on level 3 all the time with no problems at all. I watch the gauges and keep the EGT's in a safe range and I'm good. I get about 12mpg towing my rig to Dumont. Quote
dunefreak Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 No really. That is the term we use on repair orders and service documents around the dealership, SES light. I run my truck on level 3 all the time with no problems at all. I watch the gauges and keep the EGT's in a safe range and I'm good. I get about 12mpg towing my rig to Dumont. Maybe I should put mine on level 3 if you are getting 12 mpg when towing. Quote
Richard Cheese Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 No really. That is the term we use on repair orders and service documents around the dealership, SES light. Maybe I should put mine on level 3 if you are getting 12 mpg when towing. I haven't towed on a higher setting, as the manufacturer highly recommends nothing above the 40 hp tuen for towing more than 4k......... but, I have noticed, that when I do drive like a grandma, which isn't very much (i actually had enough self-control to do it for about 2 tanks) I did notice about a 1---1.5 mpg increase. not that significant in my book when the fun factor, and the black smoke into the ricer sitting at just the right place on your passenger side, is done away with but 12 towing........ is that a 7.3 gunz?? Quote
Big_Gunz_ Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 Maybe I should put mine on level 3 if you are getting 12 mpg when towing. I did notice about a 1---1.5 mpg increase. not that significant in my book when the fun factor, and the black smoke into the ricer sitting at just the right place on your passenger side, is done away withbut 12 towing........ is that a 7.3 gunz?? Nope, I've got an 05 GMC with a 6.6 Duramax and I do get around 12mpg towing. I don't drive fast when towing, I keep it around 60-65mph and don't put my foot going up hills or from a dead start. I got 16mpg plus towing my boat into Vegas last night, less than a half of tank of gas to get here. Quote
Richard Cheese Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 Nope, I've got an 05 GMC with a 6.6 Duramax and I do get around 12mpg towing. I don't drive fast when towing, I keep it around 60-65mph and don't put my foot going up hills or from a dead start. I got 16mpg plus towing my boat into Vegas last night, less than a half of tank of gas to get here. what type of meats you rockin' on your sierra? Quote
mineurbiz Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 Nope, I've got an 05 GMC with a 6.6 Duramax and I do get around 12mpg towing. I don't drive fast when towing, I keep it around 60-65mph and don't put my foot going up hills or from a dead start. I got 16mpg plus towing my boat into Vegas last night, less than a half of tank of gas to get here. What size trailer are you towing and what is the weight? That seems like very good gas milage for towing. Quote
dunefreak Posted July 25, 2007 Posted July 25, 2007 What size trailer are you towing and what is the weight? That seems like very good gas milage for towing. a big one! Quote
Big_Gunz_ Posted July 26, 2007 Posted July 26, 2007 what type of meats you rockin' on your sierra? What size trailer are you towing and what is the weight? That seems like very good gas milage for towing. a big one! My truck is pretty much stock except for the Hypertech and a 4" catback exhaust. I have a big 5th wheel and yes, I do get around 12mpg towing it. I can't explain it, that's what I get and it's not what the DIC tells me, it's hand calculated. I see most of you get around 10mpg while towing. All I can suggest is to back off on the throttle some and you can squeeze out 1 or 2 mpg's out of your truck. There's a difference in going 70-75 to 60-65. I'll give up the extra 30 minutes of travel time to get better gas mileage. If I wanted to be first there, I'll leave a day early and take my time getting there. Quote
Richard Cheese Posted July 26, 2007 Posted July 26, 2007 My truck is pretty much stock except for the Hypertech and a 4" catback exhaust. I have a big 5th wheel and yes, I do get around 12mpg towing it. I can't explain it, that's what I get and it's not what the DIC tells me, it's hand calculated. I see most of you get around 10mpg while towing. All I can suggest is to back off on the throttle some and you can squeeze out 1 or 2 mpg's out of your truck. There's a difference in going 70-75 to 60-65. I'll give up the extra 30 minutes of travel time to get better gas mileage. If I wanted to be first there, I'll leave a day early and take my time getting there. I think some of, if not a lot of it comes from the varying tire sizes. Ive got 12.5 in wides, Pete has at least 10.5 in, compared to those stock 245 donuts!!! while I agree...the foot controls the flow of money into our tansk Quote
Randog Posted July 26, 2007 Posted July 26, 2007 I think some of, if not a lot of it comes from the varying tire sizes. Ive got 12.5 in wides, Pete has at least 10.5 in, compared to those stock 245 donuts!!! while I agree...the foot controls the flow of money into our tanks I agree too, Feet are expensive on and off road. ........ And No, I ain't referring to the Six Flags post either. :angry2: Quote
barefoot bob Posted July 26, 2007 Posted July 26, 2007 Randog whats up bro !! my reply to this is if you want to play YOU HAVE TO PAY Quote
mineurbiz Posted July 26, 2007 Posted July 26, 2007 My truck is pretty much stock except for the Hypertech and a 4" catback exhaust. I have a big 5th wheel and yes, I do get around 12mpg towing it. I can't explain it, that's what I get and it's not what the DIC tells me, it's hand calculated. I see most of you get around 10mpg while towing. All I can suggest is to back off on the throttle some and you can squeeze out 1 or 2 mpg's out of your truck. There's a difference in going 70-75 to 60-65. I'll give up the extra 30 minutes of travel time to get better gas mileage. If I wanted to be first there, I'll leave a day early and take my time getting there. What does your DIC tell you that the AVG MPG is? Have you noticed a increase is MPG with the cat back alone? Here is what I am pulling, "CR3905 5th Wheel 16000 lb GVWR" I am getting about 10 MPG and admittedly can be a little heavy footed but for the most part I try to stay out of it. Quote
Bound4Dirt Posted July 27, 2007 Author Posted July 27, 2007 I haven't towed on a higher setting, as the manufacturer highly recommends nothing above the 40 hp tuen for towing more than 4k......... but, I have noticed, that when I do drive like a grandma, which isn't very much (i actually had enough self-control to do it for about 2 tanks) I did notice about a 1---1.5 mpg increase. not that significant in my book when the fun factor, and the black smoke into the ricer sitting at just the right place on your passenger side, is done away with but 12 towing........ is that a 7.3 gunz?? Hypertech viedo says you can safely tow factory weight in all settings. Quote
Bound4Dirt Posted July 27, 2007 Author Posted July 27, 2007 (edited) Nope, I've got an 05 GMC with a 6.6 Duramax and I do get around 12mpg towing. I don't drive fast when towing, I keep it around 60-65mph and don't put my foot going up hills or from a dead start. I got 16mpg plus towing my boat into Vegas last night, less than a half of tank of gas to get here. I used to get 11-12mpg also towing the trailer I had. Without a chip/programmer Edited July 27, 2007 by Bound4Dirt Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.