OK GEAR HEADS WHAT DO YOU THINK

barefoot bob

I think i found my next motor

ls1 steel block forged crank titanium rods 9:1 pistons 409 cubic inches small blower delphi electronics intercooler all accesories larg intake, aluminum heads

630 hp

650 ft pnds tourqe

free dyno after install

they tell me the steel block will be stronger for dependability and he saise it will be a very dependable motor

Actually a iron block will be more reliable and make more horsepower but at much higher numbers than stated.

At a certain point you get cylinder wall deflection and causes the rings not to fully seal.

I have heard of it at real high horsepower levels in small and big blocks.

Thats why back in the day they used to fill the blocks with cement for top fuel before they had Billet blocks

im getting an excellent deal customer built the motor and couldnt pay for it.

higher nickle content in steel slows cylinder wall deflection earlier 60s motors didnt always have a high nickle content so big boost gains saused heavy cyl deflection quicker

the power gains in this motor dont match the power of my blown 383 but it does slightly exceed the hp gains of my old 454 small block 600 hp 575 tourqe which was almost a perfect balance for the cars weight , gearing, and tires so matching it down to those spects should make it quite enjoyable.

where my 383 with the big blower is completly over powering the car plus the over heating and no reliability

why is it steel i dont know i like aluminum but my springs are rated for a heavier iron motor 100 pounds approx. overall

i am being told repeatedly that the ls1 is more dependable than the small block by lots of people and there are several customers that are runing small blower ls1s season after season with no trouble.

im hoping for that concept i need dependability my car works flawlessly other than the motor woes

so i threw this question out there to see if there is any negative feedback about ls1s vs small blocks

or anything i should ask or look for before i purchase. everything ive seen and heard tells me ls1 is dependable and the hp range seems good to me.b and see if anybody has anything to say about the steel ls1 to the aluminum ls1 :dunno:

supposedly this motor is not a stroker , he says aluminum the max is 402 ci steel 409 ci any rebuttle ??

EDIT: correction the motor has a 4" stroke crank its basicly an ls1 turned into a small bore 427 but he says its as far as you can go on that block. 409 cubes

Edited by barefoot bob

yea, those motors are great. only problem with them is you can only go to about 1100 hp with em while boosting. anything over that and you lift the heads. or you can have a few more head studs machined in, which no one has tried yet. here is a video of a turbo kit my friend builds that is a bolt on to those motors...Its installed on a guys truck that i used to run around with back in the midwest. its all stock block with valve springs, injectors, and a tune. Oh yea, its a daily driven truck that has been taken out and drivin in the snow.... perfectly driveable on the street... see bob, you ont have to lose your hp. this is a much more reliable way to make it....

yea, those motors are great. only problem with them is you can only go to about 1100 hp with em while boosting. anything over that and you lift the heads. or you can have a few more head studs machined in, which no one has tried yet. here is a video of a turbo kit my friend builds that is a bolt on to those motors...Its installed on a guys truck that i used to run around with back in the midwest. its all stock block with valve springs, injectors, and a tune. Oh yea, its a daily driven truck that has been taken out and drivin in the snow.... perfectly driveable on the street... see bob, you ont have to lose your hp. this is a much more reliable way to make it....

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

that makes me veeeeeeery happy im going to keep it in pump gas version it has the magnuson blower with an intercooler that makes the numbers above.

weeeeee :booty::booty: :tres hermanos_rock_smiley: :dance: :MBdance::DDRrocks::laughoff::rockon:

I am a dumb a$$ so don't be too harsh, but doesn't iron block mean heavier engine, needing more HP to compensate for the extra weight, meaning it negates the horse power gain?

weight always plays in but it doesnt negate if youi can get the numbers high enough power to weight ratio

i raced the green outback car he is subied he did beat me but only off the line and he never pulled away from me we were stuck exactly as we launched. and that car is wicked fast. i was running a 454 small block unblown i had less hp than him but a ton of more tourqe

i raced monsters twin turbo aluminum bebute car and beat it .

and several others my 454 is an iron block !!

this motor makes more hp and tourqe than my old 454 at the same weight roughly

so many factors come in to play but this should balance out well being that my suspension is set up to run iron. my tranny and tires can only really hold the numbers above after that its a bust out.

my cars is certainly not the fastest i think the subies are the big dog cause of there light weight but i have beaten ls1s wholsale with my iron block but dependability was a downer so these numbers match my car really well and i get dependability im so happy i could snoopy dance !!!!! :tres hermanos_rock_smiley:

and i would certainly preffer the 402 auminum over the 409 iron but not at the price break im getting.......

and the heads are aluminum so theres only a 100lbs difference......................... :DDRrocks:

Edited by barefoot bob

• 1 month later...

im getting an excellent deal customer built the motor and couldnt pay for it.

higher nickle content in steel slows cylinder wall deflection earlier 60s motors didnt always have a high nickle content so big boost gains saused heavy cyl deflection quicker

the power gains in this motor dont match the power of my blown 383 but it does slightly exceed the hp gains of my old 454 small block 600 hp 575 tourqe which was almost a perfect balance for the cars weight , gearing, and tires so matching it down to those spects should make it quite enjoyable.

where my 383 with the big blower is completly over powering the car plus the over heating and no reliability

why is it steel i dont know i like aluminum but my springs are rated for a heavier iron motor 100 pounds approx. overall

i am being told repeatedly that the ls1 is more dependable than the small block by lots of people and there are several customers that are runing small blower ls1s season after season with no trouble.

im hoping for that concept i need dependability my car works flawlessly other than the motor woes

so i threw this question out there to see if there is any negative feedback about ls1s vs small blocks

or anything i should ask or look for before i purchase. everything ive seen and heard tells me ls1 is dependable and the hp range seems good to me.b and see if anybody has anything to say about the steel ls1 to the aluminum ls1 :headbang1:

supposedly this motor is not a stroker , he says aluminum the max is 402 ci steel 409 ci any rebuttle ??

EDIT: correction the motor has a 4" stroke crank its basicly an ls1 turned into a small bore 427 but he says its as far as you can go on that block. 409 cubes

The new Escalade block can be bored and stroked to a 415. Cbm says 610 hp on pump gas. Thats what Ill be using

The new Escalade block can be bored and stroked to a 415. Cbm says 610 hp on pump gas. Thats what Ill be using

thats what i ended up buying the 415 inch escalade block its aluminum alrigfht the motor is awsom.

the escalade block also also is .2 liters bigger than the ls6 in stock form runs cool in the heat the 610 hp version has less tourqe ask them about the middle package you get more tourqe thats the version i bought :mc_smiley:

600 hp 575 trq

Edited by barefoot bob