Dumont Dunes TRT Meeting

ynot

Richard I am glad to see that you have such a positive attitude. As a matter of fact I sat next to the head LEO during this meeting and as soon as the rules commettee allows this rule change it will be enforced. As far as grey water it has been allowed in the past for basin type water dumping but it has been abused to the point of dumping grey water from motorhomes etc. The high concentration of people in one area makes it a health hazard and it will not be allowed anymore. If your tent camping and wash the dishes in a bucket,tray whatever then there is no problem with disposing of that water on the ground. :whacky101:

i dont agree with this. has there been some sort of study to see what effect soapy water has on the ground??

and if so how is it that if it comes from a tent its not a health hazard but out of a camper it is??

what sort of health hazard is created where is the enviromentle impact study on this ???

i mean my basic school of thought would be rotted food from the sinks getting on the ground would be the only viable threat.

and with this train of thought, a tent camper, dumping his cleaning water on the ground, his water has a larger chance of containing solids in the dishwater .where a camper is less likely cause it goes into a tank and has a better chance of collecting the heavier stuff at the bottom and at minimum lessening these effects.

making a rule with no impact study or any proof of a problem is as bad as making incomplete or fabricated studies. such as the millvetch plants.

there are far more serious things going on than grey water.

it seems to me that they should have passed somthing more along the line of you must dig a 2 foot pit for tent campers or regular campers and you must bury pit before leaving.

soap is biodegradeable, and most of the area on the flats sustains no plant life.

Edited by barefoot bob

I don't see it as a matter of what is biodegradable or not. I don't even see it as a matter of what is environmentally harmful. The way it was explained to me years ago at some forgotten DAC meeting was, it's simply a matter of not leaving behind anything that isn't a natural part of the beauty of the dunes.

Is the 'gray water' in your dish water any less intrusive than the gray water from your tank? Technically, no. But because it is such small amounts, my guess is the rangers will most likely look the other way if they see someone emptying out their dish tub.

Vicki

In the past when Dumont has not had as many people using it the law was basically just not enforced. It has been in place forever. Now because of the large amount of useage it is being brought to the forefront. No body wants their kids playing in the dirt that you left soaking the day before with your grey water which contains food particles, dirty soapy water, dead skin cells, possiblly urine from peeing in the shower etc. I am not happy about it either as I have always let my grey water leak out. However I will not do that anymore out of respect for other campers.

It's not a really big deal more of a common courtesy like picking up after your dog instead of kicking sand over it. :stick_smack:

Edited by ynot

monster that is funny :lol:

sail and tery

i certainly didnt bring this up to be diffacult. i just wanted to bring up an alternative view point. However yes i do disagree with it. but then i find myself asking what if everyone turned there grey full on it would be a mess.

I do the same as you i trickle out enough just to keep from the tank getting over loaded. It does make perfect sense. I can imagine if it was a foregone conclusion that if its ok there would be grey valves full open . which would leave some genius to decide that if thats ok then the black must be ok to.

jeez its almost as if the blm should have a camping class which you have to pass to get a camping card before you can camp. stupid yes but there are people that just dont know and will trash anything. :think:

Edited by barefoot bob