Which laptop to get?

iweb

Thinking of getting a new laptop to replace my desktop so any input on which brand is better and where to buy it? I spent hrs looking at HP and Dell websites and even looked on Ebay and holy crap how do you chose which one? I know I want 15.4 or 16" screen and wireless stuff.

Howdy! hey I do this for a living and I purchase technology for a lot of folks, a team of 3 thousand to be exact. Dell is pure garbage, they are not a research and design organization, they are purely a technology assembler. They throw whatever they like and can buy cheap, into thier machines.

Kinda like a wallmart of technology. If you want a quality product stay away from Dell and Compaq.

Fujitsu and Sony are years ahead and very dependable. You pay more but you'll be buying a quality engineered product. I have purchased them all over the years and these folks blow them all away.

Last year I purchased 700 laptops and out of that amount only one arrived dead on arrival. To date not one has failed. Dell and Compaq has a huge failure rate....just my two cents though...

i am happy with my purchase... and this JUNK is workign WONDERFULLY!!!! I TOO am in the INDUSTRY!!! Network Administrator... I have bought everything from HP, Sony, Compaq, DELL, Toshiba, blah blah blah and havent noticed any huge diffrence/complaints other than a few quality issues in the cases / ergonomics and things like that...

i use a sony laptop that i bought in 2003, and it still kicks butt. i run my business through it, and it only, and also use it to do all my sand dune web browsing. my wife and i don't have a desktop anymore, as i just bought her a new sony, so now we sit across the coffee table from each other everynight while the tv is on surfing the web. maybe if we each get instant messanger, we can communicate more.

seriously, i love both sony's, and would buy them 10x over again. best computer(s) i/we have ever had. plus it has the memory stick slot so we can easily load our digital pix.

-chrisvuc

I have a new Toshitbox Tecra. Avoid this P.O.S.

It was issued at work. I am looking for an unsuspecting underling to hand it down too soon.

The thing is loaded, top of the line and is way slower than my old Dell 8200. It really chokes on graphics apps like Photoshop.

Junk junk junk!

Soooooo Craniacs, if you buy 700 laptops a year what in the heck do you do with them? Do you have one for sale or know where I can get a decent deal on one? I am also looking for a used one for my son that is in school.

I buy them for goverment agency I support...Sorry I get no deals....But its the same old song and dance when it come to PC's as well...Chevy is better than Ford, Japenese better than american...yadda yadda...it was only my two cents :( ISBB network admin? where? I probably golf with your boss...(kidding) lighten up

crainiacs.. i work for a telefundraising company in vegas.. I support all phone systems, t1's, Dialerdatabases, Executive networks and the the other fun jazz that goes along w/ the job...

I also have a buddy who is director of IT at firstam.com :D down there in anahiem.. maybe you golf with him.. hahaha

i am happy with my purchase... and this JUNK is workign WONDERFULLY!!!! I TOO am in the INDUSTRY!!! Network Administrator... I have bought everything from HP, Sony, Compaq, DELL, Toshiba, blah blah blah and havent noticed any huge diffrence/complaints other than a few quality issues in the cases / ergonomics and things like that...

I am also in the business and work for local govt and actually coordinate the technology replacement program for an extremely large group....15,000. We use Dell for one reason....customer service. Yes Sony and the like are good, but if you want bang for the buck and customer service go with Dell. My understanding is that if you stick with the Latitude you aren't on the bleeding edge and the hardware is more stable. We rarely have any problems with them and we just spent around $400,000 this year on desktops and laptops.

Disclaimer: Of course computers are like cars....everyone is an expert and has an opinion.

Cool fellow I.T. folks! At your level of buying your more than likely not getting bounced to India for support :laughoff: I hate that!!!!! I am all over the chart, :beerpint: I like american trucks, blonde american girls, Japanese bikes and Japanese laptops..oh and cuban cigars!

Been in the industry for some time... even a failed attempt at running my own repair shop / ISP... Damn High speed internet companies monopolizing us little guys ( EFFIN PAC BELL ) and runnin us outta buisness... theres something about a 12k t and phone bill that just sucks... Worked for Credit Unions, Agricultural Companies, Telefundraising you name it i touched it.. :D

My only draw back is i cant code if my life depended on it ( ok i can get by but barley ) and im graphically challenged..

Cool fellow I.T. folks! At your level of buying your more than likely not getting bounced to India for support :laughing: I hate that!!!!!

No we have a webpage that we log into that has special pricing and an account manager that we can call, who speaks english and is somewhere in the US, funny part is his phone extension is 7 digits!! :laughing:

My only draw back is i cant code if my life depended on it ( ok i can get by but barley ) and im graphically challenged..

There are times I wish I could say the same....coding is still a part of my job.....as well as all around database work (SQL Server and Oracle)......Never a dull moment around here.

Sorry to hear about the ISP....that's technology for ya!! Too much money and too many BIG companies now.

Edited by cmyfirepole