FNG needs much advise on Truck / Toyhauler without brand names

OIF 5-7

Ok I’m that guy that has always hitched a ride with anyone going to the dunes that had enough room for me, my scooter, gear and liked the idea of splitting the cost of the trip. I’m now ready to step up to the plate and get my own ride. Here is the thing, I’m all about learning from others experience and lessons learned. Not wanting to start the brand name war, I’m looking for generic advise, not brand name. I think I want a diesel 4*4 one ton prime mover and a fifth wheel toy hauler. Cargo to haul:

One 14” total length sand rail with stock VW travel and width suspension for the wife and night rides.

Two, dirt bikes .

Looking for some pros and cons on the following issues:

1) What size fifth wheel do you think would fit my needs? I’d like to stay as small as possible?

2) Two or three axels?

3) Standard / auto trans, I think I want a manual because I can’t stand that auto gear hunting. Is one stronger and have more longevity then the other by design?

4) Lift, I’d like to put a six inch lift with 35” tires on the truck, I do understand the

higher the profile the more unstable the tow, is it expectable or crazy? Would I have to flip axels on the trailer?

5) What gear ratio to order on the truck if I did run 35” tires, 410 I’m thinking would be a good compromise between gas mileage and getting the towing RPM range close to original. Do they make 35” tires load rated for a fifth wheel toy hauler ?

6) Duel rear wheel or single, I would much rather have the SRW.

What I don’t want to do is go out and get what I think I want, to realize I should have just got the DRW truck and left it stock.

So help out the FNG on towing a toy hauler and give some advice from your personal experiences. I do have a lot of experience towing 2.5, 3, and 5 ton trucks with trailers in the military, none on the civilian side of life.

Ps: I have plenty of time to make a decision due to currently being deployed in Iraq. I might be interested in a package deal (Truck & hauler around Dec 06 – Jan 07) time frame.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your going to lift it go w/ a tag along... If you get a auto tranny get something like the duramax w/ the tow haul mode so it doesnt HUNT like you say... As far as cargo space for a 14' sand rail you can get that into a 24' front kitchen toyhauler w/ no problem... It's all depends on what you like and what you can afford... Diffrent brands have diffrent Qualitys... again the brand war chevy vs ford who makes a better product... Just do your research and remember there is NO RV/TOYHAULER that WONT have any problems... If there is they would be selling like hotcakes and cost just as much as your house... and you would be on a 2 yr waiting list...

Depending on the size of trailer you choose to fit your needs will determine wether or not you need a 3/4ton or 1ton.. Is this truck also going to be a daily driver? IF it was me i would personally go for a 3/4ton CC S/B 4wd Diesel w/ a 26' foot Front kitchen/bath trailer as they yield the most cargo room and have a spacious floorplan...

I've been looking at toy haulers for awhile now. Both tow behinds and fifth wheels. It really depends on what floor plan you want for the cargo space layout. From what you describe you have you are probably going to need the most available cargo space possible which is right about 16' to the first cabinet. To get that you'll have to look at different manufacturers floorplans. The smallest trailer you will be looking at would be a 25' or 26' trailer and it will have a front bathroom. That means tha bathroom is in the front then the kitchen, and the beds will probably be bunk beds in the rear. If you go to a front bedroom I believe the smallest one I found with 16' cargo space is 30' to 34'. In a fifth wheel your looking at 38' or 39'. It's going to be difficult to get a buggy and two bikes in a toy hauler. If you go with a tow behind or a fifth wheel you can use a 3/4 or 1 ton truck but make sure you check the manufactures specifications of the towing capabilities. You want to have enough truck to pull the trailer. Drive train and what engine a vehicle has makes a big difference in towing capacity. also remember the longer the truck the more stability you will have. A dually will be the most stable.Do your research and figure out what need and then what you want.Try to stay with a company that has been around for a long time. When you go out camping and see a trailer like you want go talk to the people that own it. I have found most people are very friendly and will tell you the PROs and CONs of their trailer. I have also found that alot of people have owned more than one brand and can tell you about that too. The combination I am looking at for myself is a Dodge 1 ton diesel 4x4 and a Forest River Sierra sport 38' fifth wheel. Good luck on whatever you decide. :slap:

Edited by Don29palms

Ok I’m that guy that has always hitched a ride with anyone going to the dunes that had enough room for me, my scooter, gear and liked the idea of splitting the cost of the trip. I’m now ready to step up to the plate and get my own ride. Here is the thing, I’m all about learning from others experience and lessons learned. Not wanting to start the brand name war, I’m looking for generic advise, not brand name. I think I want a diesel 4*4 one ton prime mover and a fifth wheel toy hauler. Cargo to haul:

One 14” total length sand rail with stock VW travel and width suspension for the wife and night rides.

Two, dirt bikes .

Looking for some pros and cons on the following issues:

1) What size fifth wheel do you think would fit my needs? I’d like to stay as small as possible?

2) Two or three axels?

3) Standard / auto trans, I think I want a manual because I can’t stand that auto gear hunting. Is one stronger and have more longevity then the other by design?

4) Lift, I’d like to put a six inch lift with 35” tires on the truck, I do understand the

higher the profile the more unstable the tow, is it expectable or crazy? Would I have to flip axels on the trailer?

5) What gear ratio to order on the truck if I did run 35” tires, 410 I’m thinking would be a good compromise between gas mileage and getting the towing RPM range close to original. Do they make 35” tires load rated for a fifth wheel toy hauler ?

6) Duel rear wheel or single, I would much rather have the SRW.

What I don’t want to do is go out and get what I think I want, to realize I should have just got the DRW truck and left it stock.

So help out the FNG on towing a toy hauler and give some advice from your personal experiences. I do have a lot of experience towing 2.5, 3, and 5 ton trucks with trailers in the military, none on the civilian side of life.

Ps: I have plenty of time to make a decision due to currently being deployed in Iraq. I might be interested in a package deal (Truck & hauler around Dec 06 – Jan 07) time frame.

Thanks for the great input guys, With your tips and me doing the research form hear, I’m sure I’ll make the right dissension. I just wish I could buy a toyhauler from the military new car sales. I’ll be getting the truck tax free and major discounts for purchasing from here before I get back, it looks like I can save about $10,000 total on a 50K truck

ISBB,

My wife likes the idea of having the bedroom up fount and I like the fifth wheel better, if I have to go bigger, that’s ok. Don’t all brands have a haul mode auto trans? As far as price range I’m looking at 90K for both the truck and trailer, 45K each.

The truck will be the daily driver as much as someone that rides a motorcycle to work as many days the weather will allow in AZ.

Don29palms,

I think I like the idea of maybe going to the 38’ fifth wheel like you. For the two dirt bikes, I was thinking about mounting two bike load ramps on the buggy, (quick release) from the top windshield loop to the front torsion tube. Mounting the two bikes at an angle over the front end of the buggy. Enabling me to only need enough floor space for the buggy. I’m I getting out of control now?

Yeah, most trucks nowadays have the tow haul mode. It definitley helps out w/ towing. It eliminates the whole hunting for a gear and also helps a bunch when going down a hill w/ a big load. I personally would stay away from a manual trans, but that's just my .02. :rockwoot:

I'd go big if I were you. If you don't- it will just be a pain in the a$$ to get everything loaded (like me every damn trip :slap: ). Even if you don't need it- extra space is always nice to have. Good luck w/ your decision.

When I purchased mine I went with a tape measure. I didn't go as big as you are planning but I can get a 12' mid-engine rail (remember the stinger sticks out the rear another 20") and a quad (Yamaha blaster) in a 25' front kitchen toyhauler. It's 15'6" to the first cabinet from the rear door and I can still fit a quad in the little kitchen area. I bought a tow behind so that I can put another quad in the truck.

Good luck.

Edited by cmyfirepole

OIF 5-7 if you want to go big then your best bet is to find a 1 ton dually and a 35' + 5th wheel to get all your stuff in it.. I suggest the one ton cuz the size your looking for is going to be heavy.. :D

:finger:

:D No if your going to go big? than go big!!!!!

post-557-1141773014_thumb.jpg

post-557-1141773037_thumb.jpg

post-557-1141773059_thumb.jpg

post-557-1141773076_thumb.jpg

nice rig but is that a 38 ftr weekend warrior,, :angry: those are one special buy on 38 ftr and get the next size smaller free!!! :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::laughoff: how many pop outs on that?? looks like 1,,,oh that 39 ft gear box has two!!!but like I said, thats a nice rig.. :thumb:

Edited by rhino king

:laughoff: yea they through in two for the price of one:laughoff: :angry: :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff: only one slide need all the room! :finger:

I hear you there,,atleast we can laugh about it,and that is a very nice set up,,,esp your storage I wish I had that room!!! :thumb:

I hear you there,,atleast we can laugh about it,and that is a very nice set up,,,esp your storage I wish I had that room!!! :angry:

Yeah Kenny, then you could of bought a sandcar and had space to tow it! :finger:

Yeah, most trucks nowadays have the tow haul mode. It definitley helps out w/ towing. It eliminates the whole hunting for a gear and also helps a bunch when going down a hill w/ a big load. I personally would stay away from a manual trans, but that's just my .02. :laughoff:

I'd go big if I were you. If you don't- it will just be a pain in the a$$ to get everything loaded (like me every damn trip :angry: ). Even if you don't need it- extra space is always nice to have. Good luck w/ your decision.

I think you guys are right about going larger, the only reason I thought I wanted to stay as small as possible, was concern of getting stuck in the sand getting to the camp site and or turning around in small camp sites. I guess just being careful about picking the site and not getting too far away from the trail should be ok. It must really suck to get a 39’er unstuck!

What are the down sides of a manual trans? Other then, having to shift and replace the clutch?

Thanks again for the help :finger:

JUST be done with it and get this package,,,,,,,with :angry: your favorite color f350 diesel truck,,,,

Sweet As! (New Zealand term) I like your thinking, I can definitely see that as a nice place to go when I’m in the dog house. :finger:

don't for get that you will need a class a non comercial in ca if you go three axle

Good point, I didn’t know that. Even if your from out of state? I’m sure. Does anyone know if AZ has a similar law?

OIF 5-7 if you want to go big then your best bet is to find a 1 ton dually and a 35' + 5th wheel to get all your stuff in it.. I suggest the one ton cuz the size your looking for is going to be heavy.. :D

The adult in me says of course I should get the dually 4*, no lift. The other side still wants the SWR lift. Why can’t I just have my cake and eat it to? Ok I have issues to work out within my self. :finger:

:angry:

nice rig but is that a 38 ftr weekend warrior,, :laughoff: those are one special buy on 38 ftr and get the next size smaller free!!! :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::thumb: how many pop outs on that?? looks like 1,,,oh that 39 ft gear box has two!!!but like I said, thats a nice rig.. :finger:

Nice :finger: What HS did you go to? I went to Bonanza in 83, but don't hold that against me.

The biggest toyhaulers I have found with the most cargo are the weekend warriors. The FS3400 is a front sleeper with 20' to the first cabinet. Or the FB3000 is a front bath model with the same cargo area. So you would have no problem putting a 14' buggy and 2 bikes in one of those. And don't worry about towing with a lifted truck. Mine is a little overboard but it still tows fine. With a 6 inch and 35's you can easily tow a fifth wheel with flipped axles. I have to stick with the tow behind as my lift is too big. Hope this helps.

The biggest toyhaulers I have found with the most cargo are the weekend warriors. The FS3400 is a front sleeper with 20' to the first cabinet. Or the FB3000 is a front bath model with the same cargo area. So you would have no problem putting a 14' buggy and 2 bikes in one of those. And don't worry about towing with a lifted truck. Mine is a little overboard but it still tows fine. With a 6 inch and 35's you can easily tow a fifth wheel with flipped axles. I have to stick with the tow behind as my lift is too big. Hope this helps.

Hey JJ, just so ya know...that FS3400 has only about 16ft to the first cabinet. It has almost 20 ft of cargo, but that's to the sink. Check it out....

post-3-1141840109_thumb.gif

I am thinking of getting a 34ft Forest River Sandpiper Sport. (It's actually a 35ft 4" box) Check that one- I like the floor plan much better. I think it has a foot or so more cargo as well. :finger: