looking for your input, not a war

Craniacs

I have a 02 GMC 2500 HD w/8.1 liter Gas w/ Allison. All my friends say I need to go diesel even though I dont have any problems towing the 28ft Toyhauler. I have plenty of power. They all say I'll have tons of power and I believe them, but heres the catch..Thier Deisels are always in the shop! mine never even burps. They all own all makes and all sizes. I'm not looking for a word war but can anyone logically tell me why I would opt for repairs and higher fuel cost and maintenence? I'm no kid and have used big block gassers for towing for the last 30 years....anyone else thinking of leaving the gas world and go towards oil? looking for honest thoughts...not a fight...just need education.

Thanks!

I had a Super Duty V10 4x4 that I loved, raced and beat rice grinders over the pass from Vegas and got in the low teens for gas mileage. I bought a 26' toyhauler with a 2 seat sandrail in it in Grand Junction Colorado so I went up to tow it home. Coming home on the I-70 I was pedal thru the floor board, going down hill, rpm's screaming, and doing 45 mph! Plus I stopped at every gas station between Co and Pahrump. I stopped 4 or 5 times to check brakes and bearings on the trailer thinking something was locked up, even thought the tranny went out on the truck. The closer to Vegas I got the faster I could go, doing 60 mph or so down into Vegas but stopped on the way out of town to gas before I could get home to Pahrump.

Problem was no turbo at the high altitude and I didn't check but I am guessing I was getting about 4-5 mpg. Towing around Pahrump, Vegas, Dumont was better for power and gas mileage was still under 10 mpg. Tranny was always shifting up and down and rpm's were maxed to get the power to tow, even that light hauler.

Traded the Super Duty in on a Dodge cummings and what a difference! I get low to mid teens mpg towing my 32' toyhauler 5th wheel full of toys, water, grub, etc and I have all the power I need. No red line rpm, no shifting up and down as there is enough power/torque to just go down the road and no problems at high altitude with the turbo.

I will never own another gas truck but I had no idea about the difference in power until I owned one, a friend tried to tell me but I said yea whatever. Does it pencil with the cost of a new truck, high diesel prices, and $52 oil changes at the dealer? No but to me it is worth it. If I hadn't towed the hauler from Co I would probably still have the V10.

I have 30,000 miles on the Dodge and the only time I go to the dealer is to get the oil changed.

I had a Super Duty V10 4x4 that I loved, raced and beat rice grinders over the pass from Vegas and got in the low teens for gas mileage. I bought a 26' toyhauler with a 2 seat sandrail in it in Grand Junction Colorado so I went up to tow it home. Coming home on the I-70 I was pedal thru the floor board, going down hill, rpm's screaming, and doing 45 mph! Plus I stopped at every gas station between Co and Pahrump. I stopped 4 or 5 times to check brakes and bearings on the trailer thinking something was locked up, even thought the tranny went out on the truck. The closer to Vegas I got the faster I could go, doing 60 mph or so down into Vegas but stopped on the way out of town to gas before I could get home to Pahrump.

Problem was no turbo at the high altitude and I didn't check but I am guessing I was getting about 4-5 mpg. Towing around Pahrump, Vegas, Dumont was better for power and gas mileage was still under 10 mpg. Tranny was always shifting up and down and rpm's were maxed to get the power to tow, even that light hauler.

Traded the Super Duty in on a Dodge cummings and what a difference! I get low to mid teens mpg towing my 32' toyhauler 5th wheel full of toys, water, grub, etc and I have all the power I need. No red line rpm, no shifting up and down as there is enough power/torque to just go down the road and no problems at high altitude with the turbo.

I will never own another gas truck but I had no idea about the difference in power until I owned one, a friend tried to tell me but I said yea whatever. Does it pencil with the cost of a new truck, high diesel prices, and $52 oil changes at the dealer? No but to me it is worth it. If I hadn't towed the hauler from Co I would probably still have the V10.

I have 30,000 miles on the Dodge and the only time I go to the dealer is to get the oil changed.

Thanks! out of my friend it would seem that the dodge was the better Deisel...thanks!

I just went back to a Silverado with the 8.1 and Allison from an 05 6.0l Powerstoke crew cab dually Fx4. Yep, gas mileage sucks but I really liked how the 8.1 and the Allison towed on my 01 too and with the mileage and the deal I got on the newer truck I can't complain :D

John, I had an 02 avalanche 3/4 ton with an 8.1 and a allison. I loved that truck. The only reason I sold it was because I got into a 5th wheel trailer. I drive a ram/cummins now and I love it! Here's my questions for you.....1. I would assume that your truck is payed for or almost paid for? 2 If your happy with how your truck tows, why get out of it? 3. Why don't you tell your friends if they want you to have a new diesel, have them buy it for you. I hate to agree with Cole but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!! :DDRrocks:

I drive an 04 3500 Silverado 8.1 L and added headers, flowmaster exhaust, K&N filter and a chip. It has 4:10 gears and 35" tires, 6" lift with traction bars. My trailer is a WW 3905 (40' 5er) axels flipped...

BIGGEST P.O.S. I HAVE EVER TOWED WITH!!!!

Ok i's not that bad...........

But if I had to do it over I would have gone with the broken motor sound of a deisel.

My truck is paid for and have a company vehicle for day to day driving so I'm not going to buy a new truck anytime soon.

But my dream truck would be a Silverado on Ford solid axels with a cummins motor and a allison tranny. LOL

I drive an 04 3500 Silverado 8.1 L and added headers, flowmaster exhaust, K&N filter and a chip. It has 4:10 gears and 35" tires, 6" lift with traction bars. My trailer is a WW 3905 (40' 5er) axels flipped...

BIGGEST P.O.S. I HAVE EVER TOWED WITH!!!!

Ok i's not that bad...........

But if I had to do it over I would have gone with the broken motor sound of a deisel.

My truck is paid for and have a company vehicle for day to day driving so I'm not going to buy a new truck anytime soon.

But my dream truck would be a Silverado on Ford solid axels with a cummins motor and a allison tranny. LOL

i would like to see that

John, I had an 02 avalanche 3/4 ton with an 8.1 and a allison. I loved that truck. The only reason I sold it was because I got into a 5th wheel trailer. I drive a ram/cummins now and I love it! Here's my questions for you.....1. I would assume that your truck is payed for or almost paid for? 2 If your happy with how your truck tows, why get out of it? 3. Why don't you tell your friends if they want you to have a new diesel, have them buy it for you. I hate to agree with Cole but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!! :DDRrocks:

yup paid....if I go with a bigger trailer I'll be forced to.......thanks!

I am on my second Dodge Cummins and have been very happy with both of them. My 2002 was great, but I needed a larger truck so I bought a 3500 this time so I could tow legally within the trucks limits.

If I was shopping for a brand new truck right now, I think I would go with a gasser due to all the new emissions B.S. they are putting on the diesel trucks now. Add to that the extra $5-6,000 the diesel costs, the more expensive fuel (diesel used to be cheaper than unleaded when I bought my first), the extra maintanence, and fuel mileage that is close to todays gas engines it doesn't really make sense to buy diesel anymore. Diesels used to get great mileage but they just don't anymore due to emissions. Now if you bought used, IMO diesel would make more sense. Just do some research if you do make the jump, because all three makes have had some problems over the years. Duramax had injector issues, the Powerstroke had numerous issues with the 6.0, and the Cummins (98-02) like to eat fuel pumps just to name a few.

If you have a diesel you can make and run bio fuel and smell like a french fry going down the road! I'm thinking if I get MdDonalds to give me their used grease, I make bio, put a big McDonalds sign on my truck, drive around town making everyone hungry, then they should pay me a buttload of advertising money!

I need some investors to get started, who is first?

If you have a diesel you can make and run bio fuel and smell like a french fry going down the road! I'm thinking if I get MdDonalds to give me their used grease, I make bio, put a big McDonalds sign on my truck, drive around town making everyone hungry, then they should pay me a buttload of advertising money!

I need some investors to get started, who is first?

sounds great but one catch.... 99% of the vegetable waste il is gotten by the MOB... yes, the mob owns the used vege oil