Response from the Senator on dune issues

Kitcat

I wrote letters online to our US Senators from Nevada, President Bush and some other politicians regarding allowing access for OHV use in Nevada & California. This is a response from Senator Ensign from Nevada. I really didn't write specifically about the Nellis Dunes. I actually asked about opening up closed dune areas like Kelso and some of the others on the list. I had this crazy idea that maybe President Bush could open up some of our dune areas, like how Clinton pardoned all those criminals at the end of his presidency!! :laughoff::laughoff: Anyway, most of this is political talk :argue: :laughoff::laughoff: , but at least I got a response from him!

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the Nellis Dunes area. Your interest in this issue is important to me, and I am always grateful to those who take the time to inform me of their views.

Nevada's congressional delegation has worked together over the past eight years to pass into law four comprehensive, bipartisan public lands bills - one in White Pine County, one in Lincoln County, and two in Clark County. The first Clark County bill I coauthored, the Southern Nevada Public Land Management Act of 1998 (SNPLMA), is widely recognized as a model for managing federal land in the West. The SNPLMA allows for the auction of surplus federal lands in the Las Vegas Valley. The proceeds from these auctions fund our schools, improve visitor facilities on federal lands, allow the Bureau of Land Management and the Forest Service to protect environmentally sensitive land around our state, and develop parks and trails.

The federal government has been asked to consider conveying the Nellis Dunes Recreational Area to Clark County for citizen use. Clark County officials are working on plans to manage this land and prevent unauthorized use by off-road vehicles elsewhere in southern Nevada that can be damaging to the environment. As the County considers this matter, it is important that the opinions of the various stakeholders be taken into consideration. If off-road vehicle users, environmental groups, and government agencies cannot find a reasonable solution, it may be difficult for the federal government to complete the Nellis Dunes land conveyance. It is my hope that a solution can be found that will benefit all Nevadans. I can assure you that I will not proceed legislatively on this matter until consensus is reached amongst all groups.

During my service in Washington, I have worked to set aside millions of acres of land in Nevada specifically for environmental preservation, such as wilderness areas. These lands will be protected for future generations to enjoy. But Nevadans also benefit from multiple uses of public land, such as responsible off-highway recreational vehicle use.

Please rest assured that I will keep your thoughts and suggestions in mind if this action moves forward. Thank you again for your comments on this issue. If you should have further questions or comments or would like to sign up for my monthly news letter, please feel free to write or e-mail me via my website at <a href="http://ensign.senate.gov/">http://ensign.senate.gov</a>.

Sincerely,

JOHN ENSIGN

United States Senator

JE/BC

Good job babe on writing the Senator. :laughoff: I like how he writes "I can assure you that I will not proceed legislatively on this matter until consensus is reached amongst all groups." There will never be a consensus amongst all groups. He is full of :argue:. I can't stand politicians. Makes me wana :laughoff: . I will just keep :flatbiller: in my :rhino:.

During my service in Washington, I have worked to set aside millions of acres of land in Nevada specifically for environmental preservation, such as wilderness areas. These lands will be protected for future generations to enjoy. But Nevadans also benefit from multiple uses of public land, such as responsible off-highway recreational vehicle use.

they just dont get that wilderness area is another way of saying no access no roads or trails and he thinks that is what we want! another out of touch politician :argue: .

they just dont get that wilderness area is another way of saying no access no roads or trails and he thinks that is what we want! another out of touch politician :laughoff: .

:argue: That's because the Tree Huggers have organized enough to raise a lot of cash to give big $$$$ to these A$$wipes. :laughoff: The same group that shut down Kelso, belongs to the same parent group that almost got away with shutting down Lake Mead a few years back to 2 strokes. Theyre not going to be happy until the only thing the rolls across the sand is a Poop Beatle :laughoff:

:dunno: That's because the Tree Huggers have organized enough to raise a lot of cash to give big $$$$ to these A$$wipes. :grin: The same group that shut down Kelso, belongs to the same parent group that almost got away with shutting down Lake Mead a few years back to 2 strokes. Theyre not going to be happy until the only thing the rolls across the sand is a Poop Beatle :dope:

it looks like they were succesful: :barf:

Beginning December 31, 2012, boats that do not meet the Environmental Protection Agency Rule for gasoline spark-ignition marine engines will be prohibited on Lakes Mead and Mohave. After that date, The National Park Service will require the exclusive use of four-stroke engines, direct-injection two-stroke engines, or equivalent technology. The public has almost a decade to convert to the new technology.

I found that here: http://www.nps.gov/archive/lame/station/news/030409.html

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got another email letter from Sen. Harry Reid. Same old :beercheers::headbang1::laughing: At least I got a response. I still think it's a good idea to write our politicians. As for the $$$ given by environmentalists... Do companies that make OHV's donate $$ or lobby with the govt? Just curious.

Here is the letter...

Thank you for contacting me about off highway vehicle recreation opportunities in California and around the Southwest. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you mentioned, off highway vehicles (OHVs) are a rapidly growing segment of the West's outdoor recreation economy. With booming populations and increasing ridership, public land managers are facing the challenge of balancing the need for safe OHV recreation opportunities with appropriate protection for sensitive desert landscapes.

In California, the Bureau of Land Management has, as you noted, limited OHV access at some sites. In order to provide you with more information on the specific closures that you have mentioned in your letter, I have forwarded your comments to the Bureau of Land Management and asked them to provide you with more information.

I share you enthusiasm for accessing and enjoying our great Western landscapes. I hope that the Bureau of Land Management is able to provide you with some further information that is of use. Please feel free to keep me posted on the status of the areas about which you are most concerned.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY REID

United States Senator

• 3 weeks later...

i just got done writing the governator about the land closers that have been going on and mainly about Pismo Dunes being closed from 10,000 acres to only 1,000. it'll be interesting to see when i get a reply back but i'll post what he says...

Here's what they really mean when they write back...

Dear taxpayer,

Us congressional morons appreciate your babble about riding areas, but the truth of the matter is we're going to close 98% of the land so we can sell the rest to developers because we need that big cash kickback.

But don't worry, the 2% we'll keep open for you as a "Designated Riding Area" we'll charge you to use, and will only be accessable during the times we decide until we deem that its too big of a liability because a few illegals riding 9 on a quad get hurt and we'll have our official excuse to sell whats left of the land to more developers and get ourselves some more cashola.

Thanks for voting for me, and I'll make sure I throw you some scraps when I'm on my 6 digit retirement at your cost when youre trying to feed your family.

Regards,

Senator Bullshitter

• 1 month later...

Here's what they really mean when they write back...

Dear taxpayer,

Us congressional morons appreciate your babble about riding areas, but the truth of the matter is we're going to close 98% of the land so we can sell the rest to developers because we need that big cash kickback.

But don't worry, the 2% we'll keep open for you as a "Designated Riding Area" we'll charge you to use, and will only be accessable during the times we decide until we deem that its too big of a liability because a few illegals riding 9 on a quad get hurt and we'll have our official excuse to sell whats left of the land to more developers and get ourselves some more cashola.

Thanks for voting for me, and I'll make sure I throw you some scraps when I'm on my 6 digit retirement at your cost when youre trying to feed your family.

Regards,

Senator Bullshitter

:laughing::bawl: