Do you need air bags on a 1 ton dually

midtravel

I have an '06 F-350 dually and a 40' Warrior. I recommend getting the air bags not because it pulls funny or anything but on the 1 ton trucks there are 2 sets of springs, one for empty to be smooth cruising down the highway and then the actual 1 ton springs that are more like overloads you would add on. The weight of the trailer will drop the truck 2 or 3 inches before it gets to the stiff springs and your headlights will be way high.

I didn't think I needed them until I made a trip at night and in about 60 miles got flashed for bright lights 43 times, so unless you want to adjust your lights every time I suggest you get them. They're not very expensive and super easy to install yourself.

Also if you do get them I would suggest the onboard compressor to fill them, it isn't needed but makes life sooo much easier. A good place to hide the switch and gauge assembly is in the glove box on the left hand side where it's narrower to keep the dash clear. If you'd like I can post some pics of how I did it.

I agree with Cheese. Try it first and c how it does. When I first got my Weekend Warrior(37 footer) I had an F350 dually. It was fine, the truck only squated a few inches.

I agree with Cheese. Try it first and c how it does. When I first got my Weekend Warrior(37 footer) I had an F350 dually. It was fine, the truck only squated a few inches.

I did the same thing with my 2500HD. It was ok when hooked up.....stayed fairly level, but when I would hit some dips the up and down motion was a bit much. Adding the bags made life nice after that, but I wouldn't waste the money or time until you try it out.

I have bags on my 2500 but did not have them on the 1 ton dually I had. 3500 ran and pulled fine without them the 2500 needed the help. I'd for go the compresser if you did get them, just something else to break and it only takes me about 30 seconds to fill them myself when I hook up my 36 ft 5th. Just so you have a heads up, bags will make it real stiff on a 3500 when you air them up to pull. You already have a stiff ride to begin with.

I have an '06 F-350 dually and a 40' Warrior. I recommend getting the air bags not because it pulls funny or anything but on the 1 ton trucks there are 2 sets of springs, one for empty to be smooth cruising down the highway and then the actual 1 ton springs that are more like overloads you would add on. The weight of the trailer will drop the truck 2 or 3 inches before it gets to the stiff springs and your headlights will be way high.

I didn't think I needed them until I made a trip at night and in about 60 miles got flashed for bright lights 43 times, so unless you want to adjust your lights every time I suggest you get them. They're not very expensive and super easy to install yourself.

Also if you do get them I would suggest the onboard compressor to fill them, it isn't needed but makes life sooo much easier. A good place to hide the switch and gauge assembly is in the glove box on the left hand side where it's narrower to keep the dash clear. If you'd like I can post some pics of how I did it.

post some pics please as i might install mine on fri...(sitting in the garage right now)

My 04 2500 sierra dropped BIG time with my 38' trailer....what gives? I had no choice but to install bags.

depends on the lift kit (if you have and what brand and a little on who installed it). I have a 6" lift on my truck...towed the 5er (16000 lb) was good for a year of towing and now it is lowered about 3" when trailer is on. Getting old I guess.

Capt

post some pics please as i might install mine on fri...(sitting in the garage right now)

Capt

I'll have to take some of the gauge install tomorrow when it's light out, damn digital camera doesn't feel like working so I'm stuck with the cell phone camera for now. :beercheers:

Oh and just for info it is way easier to install the bags with the bed off the truck. Just so happened that when I decided to get them I had also decided to go with a flatbed and after I helped a friend put his on a couple months later with the bed on sure mad it tight even with the wheels off. Just pull the bed bolts and there's a couple plugs behind the bumper and it's off.

MY BAGS HAVE THE ONBOARD COMPRESSOR

3 years works great. just remember if you have 30 pounds of air in your bag and then put the trailer on it will jump to 50 or 60 pounds depending on the extra weight.

also theres a point where you get enough lift and yet no to stiff. you over fill your bags youll be riding on rocks lol. cool thing about the onboard compressor you can adjust accordingly. with no load i run 4 pounds in my bags. your supposed to keep some air in your bags at all times . 4 pounds makes my truck ride better.

but every truck is different so youll have to adjust accordingly :beercheers:

Hey Capt, sorry I forgot to take pics but it's fairly easy to explain. on the left side of the glove box it narrows down to just a few inches front to back and the gauge and switch plate fits almost perfectly. Drill a hole about 1/2 inch through the back of the glove box for the air line and the power wire for the compressor. Mount the switch plate to the back of the glove box with the supplied screws. Personally I mounted the compressor under the hood on the passenger side fender well, there's only one place it will fit there so it's not hard to figure out. I then ran the power wire and the air line to the gauge inside the top of the fender into the A pillar and then behind the dash behind the glove box. I ran the air line to the bags straight down to the frame and back along the passenger side frame rail to the rear axle mounted the tee so it goes straight to the passenger side and tee's off to the driver's side. Just make sure you keep the line away from the exhaust and leave enough slack for the suspension to move and not pull on it. Lots of zip ties work wonders for keeping it up out of the way of everything.

Edited by beau

:6pak: You really shouldn't need air on a dually. :dunno: Might just add a add-a-leaf. :coffee:

It's not that it needs it, the bags just help level out the truck with the trailer hooked up.