Few pics of the SR2 prototype....

Yoshi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet setup, Yosh. Isn't that similar to the style filter housing they use in desert racing in extreme dust conditions?

Very Very Very well done, nicest 2 seater i have seen in a long time, turn key price? When wil they be available?

sweet setup, Yosh. Isn't that similar to the style filter housing they use in desert racing in extreme dust conditions?

Yes it is, I was told the major offroad racers are making 400 mile runs without cleaning the filter, so it's suppose to be the best filter on the market..

Very Very Very well done, nicest 2 seater i have seen in a long time, turn key price? When wil they be available?

Thank ya much. Price's vary, but start off around 30k and go up. They are already available, I have 6 of the new style frame already sold/built, 2 are turnkey packages, the other 4 are rollers. I have about 5 or 6 more people about to pull the trigger and get on the list, so about to get booked up for a while.........

Edited by Yoshi

my dad wants 1 so much

Cheapest turnkey right now is $31,950. It was $29,950 last week, but I decided to make the reverse diff standard (which has 4" more travel than the sprocket drive), which was a 4k upgrade, so i'm eating 2k to only raise the price 2k.

Edited by Yoshi

Cheapest turnkey right now is $31,950. It was $29,950 last week, but I decided to make the reverse diff standard (which has 4" more travel than the sprocket drive), which was a 4k upgrade, so i'm eating 2k to only raise the price 2k.

thats out of my price range. :idea: but of corse a bag of chips is to expensive for me right about now :broke:

thats out of my price range. :idea: but of corse a bag of chips is to expensive for me right about now :broke:

If your handy with the tools, you can get a starter package that requires minor welding for misc parts like lights, battery, radiator, etc, do the assembly yourself and have under 23k total in the rail with a reverse diff, that's just over 9k off what I sell the base turnkey for....

Edited by Yoshi

when you gonna biuld one with a busa v8

I've been working with my machinist to build our own. We'll use the busa heads, and some other components, and build our own lower block. I have a couple really cool ideas for it that haven't been done yet that allows you to switch from 4 cylinders to 2 cylinders on the fly, as well as a little different arrangement that will actually be less work for us, and use more off the shelf parts from the motor, it will be cheaper than what's available.......

how does it do on the turns or the side of a ridge

it seems like the center of balance would be off because its a lil high off the ground

wouldnt it tip??

if u got the suspension set up to absorb the turns and crouch down i guess it would stay on its feet

how do u keep it from goin over??

how does it do on the turns or the side of a ridge

it seems like the center of balance would be off because its a lil high off the ground

wouldnt it tip??

if u got the suspension set up to absorb the turns and crouch down i guess it would stay on its feet

how do u keep it from goin over??

It looks taller than it is thanks to the design. The center of the floor is the lowest point, which is 17-1/2 to 18" at ride height, but since you see the bottom of the side panels (which is 4-1/2" higher, it appears to be 22"+ high, which gives it the cool appearance without the drawback of such a high center of gravity.

17-1/2 to 18" clearance isn't that high when you consider the rail has a track width of 90 to 94" (depending on which rear wheels you go with) and a wheelbase of 112". I've never even had a close call, the rail is very stable, soaks up the terrain amazingly well, and corners awesome...

It is crouched down a bit, as it sits on 9" of travel at ride height. There is 6-1/2" clearance under full bump below the chassis....

Edited by Yoshi

I've been working with my machinist to build our own. We'll use the busa heads, and some other components, and build our own lower block. I have a couple really cool ideas for it that haven't been done yet that allows you to switch from 4 cylinders to 2 cylinders on the fly, as well as a little different arrangement that will actually be less work for us, and use more off the shelf parts from the motor, it will be cheaper than what's available.......

The V8 busa sounds bada$$. click :6pak:

It looks taller than it is thanks to the design. The center of the floor is the lowest point, which is 17-1/2 to 18" at ride height, but since you see the bottom of the side panels (which is 4-1/2" higher, it appears to be 22"+ high, which gives it the cool appearance without the drawback of such a high center of gravity.

17-1/2 to 18" clearance isn't that high when you consider the rail has a track width of 90 to 94" (depending on which rear wheels you go with) and a wheelbase of 112". I've never even had a close call, the rail is very stable, soaks up the terrain amazingly well, and corners awesome...

It is crouched down a bit, as it sits on 9" of travel at ride height. There is 6-1/2" clearance under full bump below the chassis....

with it uniqueness it should do pretty well on the market

good luck with it

• 2 weeks later...

I built a storage compartment for the nose, and set the hood up to hinge forward to give a lot of access space. The black part is the first piece off the mold I built, I will modify it, then build a new mold to reproduce the final parts that will then be shot with bed sprayliner..

post-423-1211046342_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046365_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046387_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046410_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046433_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046450_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046465_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046484_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046499_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046517_thumb.jpg

post-423-1211046532_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yoshi

Very clever! :dance:

But is that thing ever gonna see any sand? Let's see some action pics! :driver: :stir:

Getting close. The new aluminum airbox should be in Tues. or Wed. Also waiting on the new brakelines to show up. Then I gotta plug up the harness, run the power steering lines, fuel lines and radiator lines and she'll be ready.

This rail has gone from design stage, to where it sits now, including building fixtures to reproduce the frames, suspension, and all the aluminum work, as well as building 5 other chassis off the jigs and a few full sets of panels in about 7 months, which I think is pretty good considering the amount of prototype work involved, and that it has actually been as complete as it is now for almost 2 months, waiting on things like the motor, airbox, and other odds and ends. Build time will be a lot quicker once I move into production, but prototypes are never fast, especially when your trying to build something so detailed......

There are a lot of people waiting to see this thing, and a lot of potential buyers lined up as well, so I am not gonna rush it . I wanna make sure it exceeds all the expectations people have, and I expect a huge response from the public when it debuts...........

Edited by Yoshi

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a new movie program uploaded on my computer and did a little test slide show. Under the right of the video, there's a "watch in high quality" button to make the video better. I'm having problems uploading video off one of the cameras into the new program, so I haven't redone the videos (the old ones are still on you tube, just click the view other video's by poster, or do a search for Sinister Sand Sports, and all 3 will come up) but here is a link to the slide show, lemme know what you think......

Edited by Yoshi

looks like you need to get ed aka pound sand from GD.com up there to help you tune that suspension..

I haven't even got to the fine tuning yet, still trying to get the ride height correct. We basically guessed on the springs. I started off with a 375/475 in the rear and a 250/350 in the front. The rail was sitting 3" above what I wanted for ride height when fully loaded, and when you stood on the step bars and jumped up and down, it didn't budge, even with no air in the coilovers or double bypass, and all the compression and rebound dialed out of the double bypass. (and no, I didn't drive it with no air, just when I first put it together).

The last go around (after the video was taken) put the rear at 275/350 and the front at 125/200. Now the rail squats 3" when 2 people get in and it sits at the correct ride height with air in the shocks, so we're getting closer, just trial and error for the first go around. The rail is gonna be in the SSSS next month if anyone wants to see it in person..

In the video, the shocks cycled about 2" total for all that I put it through believe it or not, thing was rough as a mo fo, but i'll get it dialed in.....