ATTEMPTED to sign string up for an ATV safety course

Richard Cheese

:rant_on:

so when you purchase a new atv in the communistic state of CA, a free rider safety course is offered....the place is www.atvsafety.org

I call this place to sign string up, answer some questions, and they ask my son's age, and i reply 5..........a very long silence on the other end followed by, " i am sorry sir, your son does not qualify for the training course due to the age requirements of 12-16 yrs old for a 90cc atv"...

youve got to be :boyyy: kidding me right?

12-16 yrs old?? on a fkn 90???? when i was 16 yrs old, i weighed 200lbs.... on a 90? no way

here i am, trying get my son a safety course, and they discriminate against him because of his age? WTF IS THAAAAAT????

LICK MY :blink:

:dance:

That is pretty ridiculous. I would imagine there is probably some place that gives rider safety to younger children?? Then again, maybe not if they are going by ages on the bike.

The more the sport grows, I would imagine they are going to need to adjust those ages. Parents are starting their kids younger and younger. Good luck finding a classs for your little string cheese. :blink:

That is pretty ridiculous. I would imagine there is probably some place that gives rider safety to younger children?? Then again, maybe not if they are going by ages on the bike.

The more the sport grows, I would imagine they are going to need to adjust those ages. Parents are starting their kids younger and younger. Good luck finding a classs for your little string cheese. :dance:

thanks stac.....also, the azzhos that dream up this legislation have never been on an off road vehicle, or asked for any input from offroad groups when designing the legislation...thats like me authoring a law banning women's makeup :blink: WTF are these people thinking???

Yep, Ya gotta stick him on a 50. It's a friggin joke. I've bought both my kids new quads and they give a $100 certificate from the manufacturer if the course is taken. I took one, my girlfriend took one and my girlfreinds kid took one so I could get my $100 each time. My kids have never taken the course because of the limits. I'm not going to run out and buy a 50 just so they can take the course. I can and have taught them more than any course can provide. By the way, I beleive you have to take it with him so you'll have to fork out the $100+ to do that.

I'm not 100% on this but I remember reading somewhere that they have or are going to pass some deal where everybody is supposed to have their card on them proving that they have taken the course (including kids) I'm waiting till somebody catches my kids. I have my card somewhere, I know that as a parent I'm supposed to have it on me when my kids are riding.

Big Brother is watching and I'm going to bust him in the lip.

Yep, Ya gotta stick him on a 50. It's a friggin joke. I've bought both my kids new quads and they give a $100 certificate from the manufacturer if the course is taken. I took one, my girlfriend took one and my girlfreinds kid took one so I could get my $100 each time. My kids have never taken the course because of the limits. I'm not going to run out and buy a 50 just so they can take the course. I can and have taught them more than any course can provide. By the way, I beleive you have to take it with him so you'll have to fork out the $100+ to do that.

I'm not 100% on this but I remember reading somewhere that they have or are going to pass some deal where everybody is supposed to have their card on them proving that they have taken the course (including kids) I'm waiting till somebody catches my kids. I have my card somewhere, I know that as a parent I'm supposed to have it on me when my kids are riding.

its called SB 1228...and is in committee in Sacramento right now..... authored by a man, senator maldonado, who has never off-roaded in his life :blink:

The more the sport grows, I would imagine they are going to need to adjust those ages. Parents are starting their kids younger and younger. Good luck finding a classs for your little string cheese. :dance:

Actually parents have been starting them really young for a long time. I started at 5 back in '73....so I'm sure that isn't an unusual age today either. By the time I was 7 I was on a 80cc bike.

What I would really like to know is how they come up with their figures for age/CC's. I think it was screwed up from the start. :blink:

What a crock a chit!!!! I can't wait for the next topic:

"String gets his first ticket from the BLM on his 90 quad"

Move to Nevada! you can fit 3 kids on one quad and sharing a helmit is OK :boyyy: :dance:

:blink:

It's the law now, in California. You have to have either a certificate from the ATV course for every kid riding, or have one yourself and supervise the little'uns. On public land, anyway. The law has been on the books for awhile, but the state just recently announced they'd be stepping up enforcement.

The new legislation that Cheese refers to, SB 1228, sets the age requirements in stone. Right now they're just guidelines, conforming to the Consent Decree that the mfrs have with the CPSC dating back to the two-stroke three-wheeler days. Note: the CPSC is considering changing the age limitations, to a formula based on max speed rather than displacement... which would make the proposed California law outdated.

FWIW, we've never been asked for our daughter's certificate while riding. Good thing, too, 'cuz it's still on the fridge door, so we won't forget to take it. Same place it's been since last July... :boyyy:

BTW, the parent does NOT have to take the course with the child. I did this with my daughter (now 9) last July, when she still had her 50. Free for her, I watched. She aced it of course, not surprising since she's been riding since she was 4.

Now she's got an Outlaw 90 like String, and "legally" will have to wait two-and-a-half years (12) to take the next course in the series... whatever. :dance:

Suggestion: There's gotta be someone on this board with a 50 that they could loan/rent.

Edited to add link... to a Cheese topic on the FoOD site. Dude, just how many forums do you post on??? :blink:

Edited by Noozeyeguy

yeah , my youngest boy is 11 , and to big for his prdeator 90 !

we are selling it and putting him on a raptor 250 , he has been riding since he was 3 ! I know he has the skill :blink: eff those guys!!!

wanna but a 350????????????? :dance:

i have a friend at work who is a certified orv trainer, he does alot of the training here on the base for the military peeps. ill see if he can hook something up for string. :dance:

i complained enought thaty i got a call back....they told me string can WATCH the course for 4 hours, and get a certificate of completion :blink:

great...a fuggin 5 yr old WATCHING otherp eople ride...thats gonna go over like a turd in a punchbowl :boyyy:

BTW, the parent does NOT have to take the course with the child. I did this with my daughter (now 9) last July, when she still had her 50. Free for her, I watched. She aced it of course, not surprising since she's been riding since she was 4.

When I called them up to set one of our courses up, They told me that because of my kids age, I had to do it with them and pay the fee. This was a few years ago and could have been the instructors way of filling up his class as well as his wallet. Then the age thing and the 90cc motor came into the conversation and I decided to take the course by myself just to get the $$$$ from the manufacturer.

I actually checked in to becoming an instructor for the ATV safety institute last year and they pay per student and you can set your classes whenever you want. Apperently they don't need any more instructors in the OC. You can fill out the application on their site.

i complained enought thaty i got a call back....they told me string can WATCH the course for 4 hours, and get a certificate of completion :beercheers:

great...a fuggin 5 yr old WATCHING otherp eople ride...thats gonna go over like a turd in a punchbowl :lol:

come on now cheese ! there's no place for a punch bowl here lol !!!!!!!!

I even heard of a couple people not being able to buy the quads they wanted because they mentioned that it was for their kid who is apparently under the age requirement so the salesmen tells them he can't sell them the quad.

I even heard of a couple people not being able to buy the quads they wanted because they mentioned that it was for their kid who is apparently under the age requirement so the salesmen tells them he can't sell them the quad.

That's why you go to OTD cycle and nothing is discussed besides- price, heres the cash, heres the quad, thank you come again!

That ALMOST happened to one of my friends here in town.

Funny thing or sad thing is we all do know or should already know about these "regulations" No offense Cheese, but I am betting that somewhere in the back of your mind you were aware of these regs already, and just needed to vent a little bit.

Funny thing or sad thing is we all do know or should already know about these "regulations" No offense Cheese, but I am betting that somewhere in the back of your mind you were aware of these regs already, and just needed to vent a little bit.

not of the age to participate in the safety course....

good point...i thought they were just "guidelines" to follow...had no idea that it was the "law"

I just had a great :shocked2: Just make a fake Birth Certificate and tell them he is 15 and he is a midget and that you take offence to them questioning you about it. Let them know it is a very sensitive subject for you to talk to strangers about. Don't forget to to add in a little :flipoff: You can all so add in that he was going to run away with Cole a join the circus :6pak: be he decided to stay cause you bought him a quad.

Edited by desertskyz

cheese, in 1990 I had to get the cert, I was 12 and just got a new blaster, since I did not meet the requirements to ride it during the course, my dad had to take the course while I watched and we both got a cert. a few years later my dad bought an lt80 for my sister and since he had the cert they did not have him/her do it. if you plan on having more kids it might be something worth looking into...???