toyhauler questions

gotsand450r

i pick up my first toyhauler on monday. its a 2008 carson funrunner 20 footer

pretty well option out. no genny but ill pick up a honda eu200i in a couple of days

for the most part i go to pismo (45mins away) and when the big dune season starts back up i'll will make

some trips to the big D

1? how low do you let the air pressure in the trailer tires for the dunes?

2? how do you air them back up when is time to go home?

3? do i really need a weight dist hitch for a 20 foot trailer under 6000lbs loaded?

4? 1 12vt or 2 6vt batteries?

:beercheers:

heres my :shocked2:

1) I never need to let the air out of my trailer tires for the sand. :blury: Pismo maybe. :lol:

2) Use an air compressor if you need to air them up. :blury::dope:

3) I would still run a weight dist setup. It also helps with sway and control when towing by distributing some of the weight to the front tires. Smaller trailers can sometimes be WORSE for sway.

4) Haven't ever used 6V batts, but I hear they are great. As long as you keep up with checking the water level in them, 12V batts will be fine as long as you have 2.

5) CONGRATS, Justin! Have fun and take some pics for us. :beercheers:

We air down our truck tires at Pismo - don't really need it for Dumont. I don't think we've ever aired down our tires for the trailer. I'd get the weight distribution just to be safe. What kind of vehicle are you using to tow the trailer?

airing down can be a pain, and it is a necessity...here are the things i have found that make it much easier to air down/back up when heading to oceano dunes

1. get a small, light air compressor. something that you can carry back and forth like a 4 gal 2 hp pancake type one or similiar..or a bigger one, if yo have the room...my friend has a 15 gal 4 hp on wheels and that thing airs BOTH of tv and trialers up in under 30 min...also, before you buy...make sure your genny can handle the air compressor.

2. tire deflators arent a necessity, but they take a lot of WORK out of airing down i personally run these here and have never had a problem with them. after you check in @ the kiosk, you can put these bad boys on your rig, drive down on the beach,listen for the air to quit whistling, and they are aired down to whatever you set them at. then just transfer them over to your hauler, and the same thing...when the whilstling stops,,they are aired down....

i have also been thinking of just getting the ones that let the air out without a stop at a certain pressure, cause i can now eyeball when the pressure is around 20 psi(much cheaper alternative).

20 psi works good for me...some like to go lower, other higher...you will develop a personal preference once you have done it a few times

. like dunefreak said...weight dist helps with sway and vehicle control while towing.....i have heard from both camps on weight dist on and off while pulling onto the dunes.......i personally dont even run a W/D system anymore, and havent had a problem with it....

3. i had 2 12v batts that came with the trailer, and they lasted a little over a year. i since have switched out to 2 6 volt costco batts, and havent had a lick of problems with them...going on two years here in the summer......they were actually cheaper to buy then replacing my group 27 12v batts... i recommend them

4. ENJOY yourself....it is so easy to get down because you get stuck, or you have to air up, or the wind is blowing...EFFE it man....just relax and have fun bro,,,, thats what it is all about....

oh yeah...if you do get stuck...have your own tow rope, and a couple cold beers in your hand...people will line up to help you......but you won't get the paulypaul treatment and wind up on youtube :beercheers:

i pick up my first toyhauler on monday. its a 2008 carson funrunner 20 footer

pretty well option out. no genny but ill pick up a honda eu200i in a couple of days

for the most part i go to pismo (45mins away) and when the big dune season starts back up i'll will make

some trips to the big D

1? how low do you let the air pressure in the trailer tires for the dunes? I don't at Dumont

2? how do you air them back up when is time to go home? See #1

3? do i really need a weight dist hitch for a 20 foot trailer under 6000lbs loaded? :blury: I got a 5er

4? 1 12vt or 2 6vt batteries? I have two 12V and plan on getting two more with a battery switch in between like you would see in a boat. My fam doesn't know when to turn the gen on :lol::dope:

:shocked2:

:beercheers:

• 2 weeks later...

do not let the air down unless u feel it kinda draggin...u dont wanna let it down and then find out u didnt really need to after all..with the small compressors itll sometimes take an hour to fill all the tires back up

if u do let air down let it down on ur truck for traction....the trailer should be your last resort

its a 20 foot trailer...not that heavy...sounds like u got a pretty decent truck...if u got thicker tires there should be no problem at all but i know how soft that sand can get so just be prepared if u do start slowin down

first trip in the new toyhauler was awesome. truck pulled it like a champ. a full bed of wood,15 gals of gas, full water tank, 2 quads, plenty of tasty alcoholic beverages. the sand was pretty well packed in some areas and soft deep powder in others. air the truck and trailer to 20lbs no problem at all. on the way out i used my new 12 volt air comp from harbor freight it had all 8 tires air up in under 20mins

thank you to all who answered my questions

it was also my son's first camping trip and he loved it. we even had his little powerwheels quad out with us. when the rangers were not around i would putt around on the wife's 400ex with evan sitting on tank he loved it.

post-2889-1210565584_thumb.jpg

post-2889-1210565617_thumb.jpg

post-2889-1210565646_thumb.jpg

Edited by gotsand450r

Just a suggestion: I wouldn't air down trailer tires unless absolutely necessary. By design, they have much less sidewall flex than an LT or passenger-car tire, by design. Especially the radials. When you air down, you're introducing a lot of sidewall flex into the carcass and that could lead to tread separation and/or a blowout down the road (literally). The truck tires are fine, especially if they're MTs or ATs, they're built for that kind of abuse.

Also be real careful about jumping curbs or making really tight-radius turns, where the inside tires "scrub" the pavement... that causes the same damage. I store my enclosed trailer in my backyard, no driveway. So I used to just back the trailer up over the curb. I couldn't figure out why I was losing a tire almost every Glamis trip, until I put two and two together. Now I have ramps for the trailer, and voila! no more blowouts.

Oh, and my :laughing: : 2-6v batts over a 12v batt. Just keep on top of the water level, they cook pretty quick.

Looks like you had a blast! I miss Pismo, but I won't take the moho there, just more effort than it's worth. 64' of moho and trailer sink like rocks... :headbang1: