Holloween Weekend Safety

LVBob

You said...

.Post up a pic of that samurai you have Jon. Let me pic that thing apart!

I dont know, that seems to be a personal attack, since you asked the question, wtf are you talking about? Everyone on this site has safe equipment etc etc..

What is safe.......well, the only reason I argue it is because it is such a collosal JOKE. Instead of just being unsafe, a lot of cars are purposely built unsafe. Id rather see a guy duning with no belt versus one that isnt in correctly, and he thinks it is. At least the guy with no belt, knows he has no belt on.

Is a trophy truck safe.....they are probably among the best in the world, probably why the weight 6000 lbs.

Again, you think my sammy cage is unsafe.....please come over and show me why........not just do me disservice of saying thats unsafe. Please tell me, show me why. I didnt just yell your car is unsafe. I can see that there is no rear bar, at shoulder level, I can see that the belts go down since I know your not 4 ft 2 inches in hieght. If you were, it would probably be just fine. I then gave you the reason why its unsafe, (the belt shortens on decelertion if mounted to low causing you to need to become shorter), then I gave examples of how to tell if its to low, and cited the "ussual" or most common design of install that is acceptable (90 degrees to the shoulder to 45 degrees above). I think I covered it adiquatly, but also in me very first post state it was easier to show in person.

The responce was, well, lets see your stuff..........if Im not mistaken, the condition of my stuff, has no bearing on weather yours is correct. For your information though, I do have two sets of belts in two of the sammy seats, one for adults and one for kids just for the reasons above. I also have what has been descibed by others as an extensive cage, that is far over done. I dont agree, I put the most valuble things in my life in it so I want it to keep them as safe as possible, when it might be hit by a sandrail, and pushed over 10 times rolling down a hill. Or when a quad or dirt bike rider is jumping without and effective spotter and lands on me.....(they would be hard pressed to even get a small peice in like a wheel or tire).

Im not worried to much about what the driver of teh sammy can get into, it simple wont go fast enough for that kind of trouble, but I do have to worry about 70 mph sandrails that weigh 4400 lbs.

The problem is that people dont want to hear, that something is wrong with there toy. Id rather have a bar added, and have the powder coat not match the paint match peerfectly and be safer then lay on backboard because of it on my way to umc in a helicopter.

Sorry I dont know how to break my remarks out of your quote.....you can do it if you like, it would be easier to understand.

i just don't understand what your point is...in this topic...?

okay we get it...most cars are not safe....so what do you propose we do about it?

whats your goal here?

i just don't understand what your point is...in this topic...?

okay we get it...most cars are not safe....so what do you propose we do about it?

whats your goal here?

This started as a topic regarding capm safety and people try to get others to act in a manner that is safer. I stated that safty should start with yourself first then worry about the other guy. I also said that 99.9 % of the rails (even on this site) are unsafe , as an example. Pete, challenged that statement, thats when it went pretty sideways. I m glad you agree with me.

What do we do about it? I dont know, but a good start would be , not being defensive, not making blanket insulting statements with no support.

Whats my goal here? Id like to see fewer rip threads, or I laid out there for 3 hrs with a broken back.

So far, I m told I have pos sammy that is unsafe, I ve pratically begged for them to come over and pick it apart, but I have received no pm. I even offered to show in person the problem I saw.

This started as a topic regarding capm safety and people try to get others to act in a manner that is safer. I stated that safty should start with yourself first then worry about the other guy. I also said that 99.9 % of the rails (even on this site) are unsafe , as an example. Pete, challenged that statement, thats when it went pretty sideways. I m glad you agree with me.

What do we do about it? I dont know, but a good start would be , not being defensive, not making blanket insulting statements with no support.

Whats my goal here? Id like to see fewer rip threads, or I laid out there for 3 hrs with a broken back.

So far, I m told I have pos sammy that is unsafe, I ve pratically begged for them to come over and pick it apart, but I have received no pm. I even offered to show in person the problem I saw.

NO pm probably means avoidance for deniability. Nobody wants to be shown or even think to believe that their equipment is unsafe. Instead of saying this is why yours is unsafe, maybe offer as I can show you how to improve the safety. Lets face it, having harnesses is safer than none, regardless. If you straight up tell someone there chit is unsafe you will get ripped, this isnt the place for it.

when you make blanket statements in middle of a thread about something totally different people get defensive. you dont seem want to come across as argumentative but you do. try stating your point with out being IM RIGHT YOUR ALL WRONG. maybe when people read that they think what qualifies him to make that statement. that brings up the sami its been a long time sense seeing a pic of it but what i remember is it looked rough and a little unsafe (maybe be safe to you but other might not think so). i would think it would be better to put together a thread that lists some of the things you see that YOU think is unsafe or not as safe as YOU think it should be. and maybe what qualifies to make those calls. give them something to think about and let owners make there own decisions on if there toys are safe enough.

also some of the cars you are talking about have been built by builders with very strong safety records that have been building cars for a long time.

people get defensive when you get offensive...

nobody is insulting anybody...i really just feel like your starting trouble...

I understand again that you think cars are unsafe,,,, but why not recommend something instead just "blanketing" everybodys cars unsafe.

Jon, let's get something clear hear: I never meant to insult you or your ride. I never meant to "personally attack" you either.

I don't like debates. I just asked a question about wtf you meant and it turned in to a huge disagreement of whether or not most cars are safe. We have different feelings on the situation...end of story.

I only brought up your sammy because I really do think it is unsafe looking compared to most sandcars out on the market. I don't have time to come over and look and it and pick it apart. I barely have time to type this crap. You seemed to be defensive just like me when I brought your ride up. Now you know why I was. We both think our own rides are safe.

Let's drop it. Or better yet, like vegas style said- start a thread where you could give some advice about safety with a less agressive or offensive approach. I have know you for quite some time to think any different. You are a smart guy and I'm sure you could give some decent pointers.

when you make blanket statements in middle of a thread about something totally different people get defensive. you dont seem want to come across as argumentative but you do. try stating your point with out being IM RIGHT YOUR ALL WRONG. maybe when people read that they think what qualifies him to make that statement. that brings up the sami its been a long time sense seeing a pic of it but what i remember is it looked rough and a little unsafe (maybe be safe to you but other might not think so). i would think it would be better to put together a thread that lists some of the things you see that YOU think is unsafe or not as safe as YOU think it should be. and maybe what qualifies to make those calls. give them something to think about and let owners make there own decisions on if there toys are safe enough.

also some of the cars you are talking about have been built by builders with very strong safety records that have been building cars for a long time.

:DDRrocks:

after reading this thread i wonder where i can get an indestructible 360 degree rollcage for my quad? complete with 16 point harnesses and a parachute out of a fighter jet incase i have to swerve to avoid a completely unsafe sandrail on comp and fly over the backside doing 300mph.

compairing sand cars vs. nascars...? 70-80mph vs 190+mph. c'mon now. its very possible that the mounting locations of harnesses are not EXACTLY what they should be, but they are sufficient enough. maybe not for you, but im sure that everybody that owns a car is satisfied with their restraints and thats what matters. nobody is going to go out and refab their entire frame for the ideal mounting location.

back on topic: some camps, specially near the fingers are hard to tell apart. like, where one starts and stops. i occasionally rode through a camp or two on accident, thinking that i was riding between 2 camps. if it was yours, i apologize and tried to slow down to an idle when i realized where i was.

other than that, people when leaving camp are usually so amped to get out on their bike/rail that they mob around the camp area like its the dunes. its peoples adrenaline imo and i dont think it will ever change. add alcohol and bingo, theres your problem. the only thing i can recommend is the farther away from the dunes you park, the less people there are and therefore less people driving fast near your camp, or through it.

It's a real shame some people don't observe these laws, especially around area 14 / B & C this last weekend. :bawl:

I think these need to be posted in the rules section too! :beercheers:

OHV Operation Requirements

SPEED, TURNING, RECKLESS DRIVING

You may not drive a motor vehicle in a manner that endangers the safety of other persons or their property (CVC 38305, 38314, 38316a, 38317).

PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMIT

No motor vehicle shall exceed 15 mph within 50 feet of any campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals (CVC 38310).

:angry2:

I was hoping with this post that one of the moderators would add these rules to the "Rules Section" of this web site.

With all of the violations of these two laws maybe those poeople arn't aware of them.

:beercheers:

:angry2:

I was hoping with this post that one of the moderators would add these rules to the "Rules Section" of this web site.

With all of the violations of these two laws maybe those poeople arn't aware of them.

:beercheers:

You should have just made the suggestion. :beercheers: Besides those two rules or common sense laws are already on our Dune Ettiquette flyer/ page... http://www.dumontduneriders.com/dune_flyer.pdf They are just worded slightly different.

I'll add them to the rules page though. I doubt it will end the azzhats from speeding through camps though. I don't think these guys read the rules or give a damn....or can read in the first place! :bawl:

I'll add them to the rules page though. I doubt it will end the azzhats from speeding through camps though. I don't think these guys read the rules or give a damn....or can read in the first place! :beercheers:

I doubt it too.

Anyway, we're all there just to get away and

have fun. :beercheers: