anyone getting hassled about kids riding?

Just curious if after the first busy weekend at dumont if the LEO's were hassling people about the kids riding and safety certificates? Our first trip is this weekend and just curious if this an issue. I just cant see a 14 year old kid riding a 90cc quad, which is from what I understand the law. We love going to Dumont but if the kids cant ride it wouldn't be much fun.

The only isssue I've had with my kids is they need to be supervised, I got a ticket once for my kids riding in an area I couldn't see them from. I think the age was 15 and under... They could care less what the experience level of the rider is....

Just ride with your kids at all times and be responsable, They'll leave you alone...

:driver:

The only isssue I've had with my kids is they need to be supervised, I got a ticket once for my kids riding in an area I couldn't see them from. I think the age was 15 and under... They could care less what the experience level of the rider is....

Just ride with your kids at all times and be responsable, They'll leave you alone...

:banghead:

Thats pretty funny , considering your boys could probably out ride most people, including the leo's.

I do have problems, occasionally with seeing kids out there unsupervized though. I had two near misses on sunday. The first was a rhino with 4 or 5 kids, that looked 10-14 years old. They came straight over the finger dune(jumping) with no spotter. If I had been even at the bottom of the finger dune, they would have hit me. The other was a quad on the flats that appeared lost......I think a girl that turned in traffic with out looking first. She just turned right in front of my rail then looked........Lucky for her I go pretty slow compared to most in the flats.

On the upside, my almost 6 year old daughter rides a 110 cc quad pretty well, ans we do exercises pretty much every trip, and at home. My still under 3 year boy is now riding the 50 cc quad. He started off just holding it wide open doing donuts..........after a couple hunderd tight circles, he started to stop when I said stop....then we worked on going slow.....(throttle control). After that he actually turned right once and was shocked he could make it go were he wanted. So then he was able to ride camp circles, and would turn to avoid objects. I let him run into a couple things that he coudnt hurt, and I was always 5 ft away running with him, with the remote in my hand. He almost got tossed two or three times.

If he could just talk now......

We have a pretty good sized group of about 15 that go to Dumont about once a month and all of our kids are constantly supervised and we go on follow the leader rides, etc. I figure this is one of those laws that would be enforced only when needed(like unsupervised or kids being wreckless) but just wanted to check.

I was told that last weekend the rangers were enforcing the age limit and visitig camps. However from all of the trip reports nobody has made mention of this. It sounds like everyone had a good weekend with the exception of some rain.

Unfortunatley we can't make it out until late Saturday or you could bet I would have volunteered for the poker run, especially since that was the main reason we planned to go this weekend but can't make it out early enough.

to be prepared is good advice, thanks. However(and I might be talking out my arse) where do you take the class to get certified? Usually this type of thing is in a parking lot or flats and my kids are way past that type of riding. I have 6 kids and 4 of them have been riding for a few years now.

I have no problem putting them through a certification class. I just think it should be held at the area you intend to ride at. But I haven't even looked into getting the certs so maybe there is a class at Dumont and then I will shut up and put the kids through it.

I did take the online class from Wisconsin, It was very informative. As far as kids riding/driving. I saw a kid maybe around 14 or so hit a witches eye go over the handle bars and have the quad run him over and ended on top of his upper body (including his head). There were three other kids all around the same age riding together (no adults). All riding 450's the bikes looked too big for all of them. One of the things that was said in that class A high % of injuries to kids is caused by the child riding a bike thats to big and powerful for them. I stayed with the young man till his dad :MBdance: showed up luckily he did'nt seem to be seriously injuried but he was'nt feeling that great either. In my opinion an adult should have been with them or a sober adult( if you get my meaning).

i definitely do not subscribe to the" all kids the same age are the same size" fallacy.

my son is 5, soon to be 6 and we were looking for a quad for him about 8 months ago. the 50's he sat on were so small that his knees were practically in his chin (50's for 6-10 yr olds, IIRC :black:) so i went to set him on a 90..and a salesman rolled up to us and started asking how old he was. when i told him, he wouldnt even let my son sit on a 90, nor a 50, because he said he couldnt sell them to us :MBdance:

my son has been riding a 90 since he was 3 yrs old. and can handle himself pretty well. he is always either under my supervision, or my wife's. I have to currently open up the throttle on his predator 90 because it is too slow for what he does now (kiddie track), and i plan on getting him into the smaller dunes this season to see how he does.

it is unfortunate that our "prestigious" policy makers can put a BS law into place that governs something they have never done themselves (the author of the bill admitted he NEVER off-roaded in his life in any type of vehicle)

• 3 weeks later...

i definitely do not subscribe to the" all kids the same age are the same size" fallacy.

my son is 5, soon to be 6 and we were looking for a quad for him about 8 months ago. the 50's he sat on were so small that his knees were practically in his chin (50's for 6-10 yr olds, IIRC :think:) so i went to set him on a 90..and a salesman rolled up to us and started asking how old he was. when i told him, he wouldnt even let my son sit on a 90, nor a 50, because he said he couldnt sell them to us :banghead:

my son has been riding a 90 since he was 3 yrs old. and can handle himself pretty well. he is always either under my supervision, or my wife's. I have to currently open up the throttle on his predator 90 because it is too slow for what he does now (kiddie track), and i plan on getting him into the smaller dunes this season to see how he does.

it is unfortunate that our "prestigious" policy makers can put a BS law into place that governs something they have never done themselves (the author of the bill admitted he NEVER off-roaded in his life in any type of vehicle)

I can only imagine what conversation ensued after this little "incident". :shout: :rant_on: