Need help with possible rail

scott

Newbie mistake. Long story short, don't let off going downhill!

Alright...I'll take the chance and ask since I don't want to end up doing the same thing someday.

Were you just cruisin' downhill....like say after running up comp.....and just let off the throttle? :drinkbeer:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found another one which I am waiting for some more info from the owner.. This one is a 2003, SANDWINDER LTX PRO 5 SEATER, Redline North star 385 hp, chrome pkg, Ron Davis radiator, mendeola 2d trans, gear 1 rack & penion steering, 4wheel bead locks, CNC pedals, cutting brakes, king 2.5 triple bypass shocks, $38,000..

The car looks clean but I have only seen this one picture.. Are Sandwider's any good?

Sandwinders are real nice cars. They are very comfortable and are very wide. The first one I looked at was at the Extreme Motorsports show. And then later I stopped in at his shop in Phoenix. These cars are big at 56" wide in the drivers compartment. As far as Alumicraft goes I would say they are a top ten builder if not top five. They are usually top quality cars.

Alright...I'll take the chance and ask since I don't want to end up doing the same thing someday.

Were you just cruisin' downhill....like say after running up comp.....and just let off the throttle? :laughoff:

More like sliding and the front wheel grabbed. :drinkbeer:

Were you just cruisin' downhill....like say after running up comp.....and just let off the throttle? :drinkbeer:

Not to hijack a thread...but here's what happened.

Sandwinders are real nice cars. They are very comfortable and are very wide. The first one I looked at was at the Extreme Motorsports show. And then later I stopped in at his shop in Phoenix. These cars are big at 56" wide in the drivers compartment. As far as Alumicraft goes I would say they are a top ten builder if not top five. They are usually top quality cars.

So if I can get the sandwinder with the 375HP Northstar, 930 CV's, a Mendeola 2D with rear king bypass shocks at $35-36K would that be worthy? I would probably add the B piller and match the powder coat with paint for the short term and if and when I want to make changes, re-powdercoat at a later time. One thing I like about the chevy is that it is easy to add a supercharger or other engine mods and get quick reasonably inexpensive power additions..

As forthe Alumacraft, I think I can get it for around 33K BUT it needs front wheels and tires, a cracked weld or 2 fixed in the front upper horizontal support that goes between the front shock towers.. Then it will need the powder coat matched with paint. I also found out that it needs a front spindle as one is cracked. This came from the folks at Alumicraft after I called them today and questioned them about the frame. Apparently the car was in there a couple monthes ago for a service and a CV repair and they noticed it upon inspection and pointed it out to the current owner who declined to fix it... :drinkbeer: Probably because he did not want to spend the $$ on a car he was planning on selling. Needless to say, they did think it was a very nice car and mentioned that the repairs are no big deal. They also indicated that there is a fix for the cracked frame.. This led me to believe that this was a common place for cracks with this frame design and I think their fix is to add additional support in the section of the frame. It looks to me that the front suspension or particularly the front shocks, put a lot of stress on that section of the frame.

I think the car was either jumped and landed hard on the front wheels or wheelied and landed hard one too many times.. I figure between front wheels/tires, spindle, weld and paint match about $2500. That would put me at about $35,500 for a 2000 alumicraft with some nice finish work and an apparently very fast turbo'd acura.

Which way would you guys go or would you pass on both of the above?

Edited by scott

I would go with the Sandwinder. It seems that the Alumicraft car has been driven REAL hard. You do understand that a Northstar is not a Chevy motor. It's a Cadillac motor. For that kind of money I think I would be more inclined to buy Joeduners car.

Edited by Don29palms

Another one that may be on the market.. for about 37K..

Its a Sand car v3 with a mendiola 4S.. Nice detail work but again it's a turbo Subaru and again as it has been mention, I may not be happy with the power.

Here is the description from Sandcars.net site:

John is running a 300+ Subaru with a Mendeola Trans. Graphics by Brinks

He has the RaceCraft Elite Series Seats, Douglas Beadlocks and Xtreme Tires.

post-637-1147310781_thumb.jpg

post-637-1147310822_thumb.jpg

post-637-1147310853_thumb.jpg

post-637-1147311074_thumb.jpg

Edited by scott

I would go with the Sandwinder. It seems that the Alumicraft car has been driven REAL hard. You do understand that a Northstar is not a Chevy motor. It's a Cadillac motor. For that kind of money I think I would be more inclined to buy Joeduners car.

Is the Northstar a bad choice of a motor? I figured that since it was a GM motor, it would similar, but then again, I heard it uses a belt or somthing to drive the cams if I am not mistaken..

I love Joe's car but by the time I get done buying a trailer to put it on, I am way over budget.. His car is several thousand more.. Although, at the rate I am going, the budget seems to be going to hell in a hand bag.

Edited by scott

So if I can get the sandwinder with the 375HP Northstar, 930 CV's, a Mendeola 2D with rear king bypass shocks at $35-36K would that be worthy? I would probably add the B piller and match the powder coat with paint for the short term and if and when I want to make changes, re-powdercoat at a later time. One thing I like about the chevy is that it is easy to add a supercharger or other engine mods and get quick reasonably inexpensive power additions..

As forthe Alumacraft, I think I can get it for around 33K BUT it needs front wheels and tires, a cracked weld or 2 fixed in the front upper horizontal support that goes between the front shock towers.. Then it will need the powder coat matched with paint. I also found out that it needs a front spindle as one is cracked. This came from the folks at Alumicraft after I called them today and questioned them about the frame. Apparently the car was in there a couple monthes ago for a service and a CV repair and they noticed it upon inspection and pointed it out to the current owner who declined to fix it... :drinkbeer: Probably because he did not want to spend the $$ on a car he was planning on selling. Needless to say, they did think it was a very nice car and mentioned that the repairs are no big deal. They also indicated that there is a fix for the cracked frame.. This led me to believe that this was a common place for cracks with this frame design and I think their fix is to add additional support in the section of the frame. It looks to me that the front suspension or particularly the front shocks, put a lot of stress on that section of the frame.

I think the car was either jumped and landed hard on the front wheels or wheelied and landed hard one too many times.. I figure between front wheels/tires, spindle, weld and paint match about $2500. That would put me at about $35,500 for a 2000 alumicraft with some nice finish work and an apparently very fast turbo'd acura.

Which way would you guys go or would you pass on both of the above?

iF YOU NEED PAINT MATCHED........ KENS COLORS is the only way to go. He did a friggin bad a$$ job on mine. :laughoff:

Is the Northstar a bad choice of a motor? I figured that since it was a GM motor, it would similar, but then again, I heard it uses a belt or somthing to drive the cams if I am not mistaken..

I love Joe's car but by the time I get done buying a trailer to put it on, I am way over budget.. His car is several thousand more.. Although, at the rate I am going, the budget seems to be going to hell in a hand bag.

The Northstar is not a bad choice in fact it's a very good choice. Also a 300+ hp turbo Subaru is a good choice. And you can't go wrong with a Sandcars.net car.

The Northstar is not a bad choice in fact it's a very good choice. Also a 300+ hp turbo Subaru is a good choice. And you can't go wrong with a Sandcars.net car.

If it were between the 2 which way would you go? How fast would the sand car be with that subaru? Would it wheelie easily?

If it were between the 2 which way would you go? How fast would the sand car be with that subaru? Would it wheelie easily?

I myself prefer a bigger car so I would choose the Sandwinder especially if they're the same price. The Northstar can probably run pump gas but the Subaru will definitely need race fuel. Plus a blower is bada$$ on a Northstar.

That Subaru is pretty quick but I don't imagine it would wheelie real easy. That you would have to talk to the owner about. Ask for some action pictures.

Edited by Don29palms

I myself prefer a bigger car so I would choose the Sandwinder especially if they're the same price. The Northstar can probably run pump gas but the Subaru will definitely need race fuel. Plus a blower is bada$$ on a Northstar.

I am glad you said that.. That is what I was thinking..

If you want to wheelie and break trannies go with the Northstar. If you want the car to handle well, and run 110 octane fuel go with the Subaru. The subaru is a great little motor, I had one in my last car. It won't wheely but it will handle great because there isn't a bunch of weight hanging off the back end.

Put a blown Northstar against the 2D and after a couple beers the tranny will be blown in no time. You would have to drive extremely smart not to break that combo.

300 horespower subie and someone is complaining about power? How fast and how reliable do you want your car 2 be? If you want fast and are willing to sacrifice reliability........ I have the perfect car for you......post-225-1147314602_thumb.gif

Edited by ORIGINALPIMP