need a better MR16 socket

dunefreak

These things are complete crap. The wires are only held in by a little spring. I tried soldering the wires right to the bulb pins, but that didn't work. SOMEONE'S gotta make a better connector/ socket for MR16 bulbs than these cheap ceramic turds. :poop:

I know wingnut had this same problem a while back. Mine's fine for now. I just stripped off more insulation and shoved that wire in there farther :headbang1::thumb:, but not sure how long it will last this time.

These are on my buggy, but they are the same as the Trail Tech lights for bikes.

post-3-1234193791_thumb.jpg

post-3-1234193817_thumb.jpg

post-3-1234193835_thumb.jpg

dude...those things are CRAP.. i had one on my fiber optic light system in a pool i had at my first house.....fuggin just burn them now and upgrade to something else.....even the kragen hid's....

did you know you can buy those same bulbs at fuggin homo depot??

yep thats where I get all mine, well Lowes but same thing.

I don't want HIDs where these are mounted. These are mounted low on the front of my car and I only use them for entering and leaving camp or where there alot of people so I don't blind everyone w/ the HID's like alot of poopd*cks do. I like how they fire right up too since they are Halogens.

post-3-1234233293_thumb.jpg

i found 1 maybe 2 variations however they are still the push in type. They only showed the front of the socket where the light plugs into and not the back. They didnt use springs on the front so i dont know if they would be any better than what you already have there.

Style 1:

http://www.genesislamp.com/648wmrlolife.html

Style 2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOCKET-LED-MR16-CONECT...2QQcmdZViewItem

yep thats where I get all mine, well Lowes but same thing.

I don't want HIDs where these are mounted. These are mounted low on the front of my car and I only use them for entering and leaving camp or where there alot of people so I don't blind everyone w/ the HID's like alot of poopd*cks do. I like how they fire right up too since they are Halogens.

post-3-1234233293_thumb.jpg

where would you run the hid's?? lightbar??

:dance: he said he DIDN'T want HID's Cheesey :beercheers: I believe he is talking about the lights down low near his tie rods.

I don't want HIDs where these are mounted.

is what he said, so then i asked him WHERE he would mount HID's if he were to get them.

have your fuggin coffee first before you start smackin me around so early in the morning :70:

These things are complete crap. The wires are only held in by a little spring. I tried soldering the wires right to the bulb pins, but that didn't work. SOMEONE'S gotta make a better connector/ socket for MR16 bulbs than these cheap ceramic turds. :poop:

I know wingnut had this same problem a while back. Mine's fine for now. I just stripped off more insulation and shoved that wire in there farther :70::beercheers:, but not sure how long it will last this time.

These are on my buggy, but they are the same as the Trail Tech lights for bikes.

Pete, I made a helmet light for the MR 16 lite and didn't have room for that connector so I used 2 - 3/16 (.187) flag style hi-temp connectors from Radio Shack. The 3/16 width just fits the MR 16 pin using one side of the connector and the hi-temp is hard and springy unlike the usual soft copper and keeps a grip on the pin and takes the heat. Just solder, heat shrink as good as you can and slip 1 side on a pin. It's goofy but I have used it with the current 71W narrow spot bulb untouched for over 8 years on the quad, DRZ and even the Seadoos at night around the island at Havasu :dance:

post-1632-1234291100_thumb.jpg

was going to be temporary till I found something decent but it worked no problem. If you find a source maybe you can find high heat straight pin connectors.

Edited by RUn2it

Pete, I made a helmet light for the MR 16 lite and didn't have room for that connector so I used 2 - 3/16 (.187) flag style hi-temp connectors from Radio Shack. The 3/16 width just fits the MR 16 pin using one side of the connector and the hi-temp is hard and springy unlike the usual soft copper and keeps a grip on the pin and takes the heat. Just solder, heat shrink as good as you can and slip 1 side on a pin. It's goofy but I have used it with the current 71W narrow spot bulb untouched for over 8 years on the quad, DRZ and even the Seadoos at night around the island at Havasu :DDRrocks:

post-1632-1234291100_thumb.jpg

was going to be temporary till I found something decent but it worked no problem. If you find a source maybe you can find high heat straight pin connectors.

Cant you cut open a butt splice (12ga) and solder that on the bulb and then stick the wire in the remaining and also solder that in? If you want I can make some with disconnects - Just drop the bulbs off at the office...

Edited by chris1223