98 Dodge diesel or 02 GMC 6.0 gas

justken

O.K. let the chit fly!!!

I am looking at two trucks to pull my 25' 5th wheel

Truck #1: is a 1998 Dodge 2500 turbo cummins , 130,000 miles

Truck #2: is a 2002 GMC 2500 6.0 , 108,000 miles

I ruled out Fords all together. So what do you guys think???? :dance: :think:

Edited by justken

i had the 6.0 in my 99 silverado and i have it in my 04 yukonlx both 2500's never had any problems towing i have a 25 foot hauler the only issue i have is the gas milage sux i would say ur best bet would be the diesel to bad the truck they wrap around it is a dodge :dance:

becareful, most 98 dodges are 24 valves, and the first ones seem to have on going vp44 pump problems.....ongoing like every 40-60k miles. I think. They made the early 98 with the 12 valve though also. Thats what I have. Its teh white unicorn of dodges. If its a quad cab, it was the first year of the rear doors opening, and you got the 98-02 dash, but still got the unstopable 12 valve engine. The 12 valve is very easy to work on, and very easy to turn up a bit.

Ask about the kdp or killer dowel pin, the 5th gear nut....and if its had wheel bearings done and the carrier bearing.

becareful, most 98 dodges are 24 valves, and the first ones seem to have on going vp44 pump problems.....ongoing like every 40-60k miles. I think. They made the early 98 with the 12 valve though also. Thats what I have. Its teh white unicorn of dodges. If its a quad cab, it was the first year of the rear doors opening, and you got the 98-02 dash, but still got the unstopable 12 valve engine. The 12 valve is very easy to work on, and very easy to turn up a bit.

Ask about the kdp or killer dowel pin, the 5th gear nut....and if its had wheel bearings done and the carrier bearing.

I was going to post some facts... But this guy already said everything you need to know, and more...

if your gonna be pulling a lot get the diesel. We had a 01 Chevy 6.0 2500 as a work truck and that thing wined and moaned every time we had to pull the bobcat (mid size), but the 94 Dodge diesel did even worse because of the F'ed up injector pump.

You should be able to find a decent Dmax for under 10k, even if it has 200k on it they are really good motors!