DSLR camera tips, techniques, photo sharing, etc

dunefreak

Just keep playing with the camera the way you are. You will get the hang of it. When you get comfy with it, take it out of auto modes and experiment. Try shutter priority "Tv" I think on Cannons. Slow the shutter to about 1/60th and try panning on cars as they go by.

Is that a personal attack? are you trying to say I am one piece short of a puzzle? :laughing:

It could be,, perhaps my artistic rendering of you with a broken clutch actuator. A la "starving artist" esc! :stirthepot:

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about a flash! dayum.gifheadbang1.gif

It's a little boring at first, but after he explains how it ll works you see it in action. Pretty neat stuff!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cP6a47BQA70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd kick this thread up.

I've been experimenting with off camera flash for a while now. It's like starting all over. So many new things to think about and setup in camera. I've been practicing on my son, my dogs, my neighbors, my trees and anything I can around here but an opportunity came up to shoot a couple of local models. Again I felt like I was starting over. My brain can only hold so much anymore. Here are a couple I've done recently.

p644647038-5.jpg

p936351183-4.jpg

p123822840-4.jpg

p126226415-4.jpg

Great lighting in #2. Good work, Neal. What lens were you using out of curiosity?

I was switching between the 80-200mm and a 50mm prime.

The orange tint in that pic was from a strobe pointed down at the wood floor reflected up at her.

Way cool. Flash and strobes are a whole new learning experience that I am not even close to being ready to learn.

Your ready when your ready. I started with one (1). Now I find I don't look at cameras for more capability, I look at lights. And lights are $$$$. So I use the starving artist techniques as much as possible. BTW, those twin 500 watt halogens at Lowes are cheap and using an almost clear shower curtain as a diffuser work pretty good. Just something I noticed. Not good for Action, but give ya ideas.

This thread always makes me curse the lack of time I have to learn as much as I want. I bought a cheapie wide angle and macro on eBay and been playing with that... I really need to take some time to play with more settings though

post-3304-0-50737400-1303247678_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-93411300-1303247659_thumb.jp

On a side note; until I can get my hands on a full version of Photochop, is there any freeware or cheapware that is pretty good?

On a side note; until I can get my hands on a full version of Photochop, is there any freeware or cheapware that is pretty good?

I think its called GIMP, the photoshop clone. Google it. I also think its free. Lot of folks use it. There is also paint shop pro for cheap, works OK. I used it for a long time.

I like the eyeball photo!

Thanks for the tips FE135, I'll look into those.

I found this spider munchin on a mosquito this morning. I couldn't get the focus and lighting just right, but it was still pretty cool. The little barbs on the spider's legs aren't visible to my naked eye; this macro lens thing is pretty rad.

post-3304-0-84528700-1303490336_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-78817300-1303490397_thumb.jp

• 2 years later...

This thread needs a :bump: . It's long overdue!

I finally bought a remote shutter for my 50D. I went out last night playing around with it to capture some Vegas night lights.

The Vegas Strip skyline.

post-3-0-25600100-1370809461_thumb.jpg

The welcome sign with some LV Blvd traffic streaks

post-3-0-56556700-1370809287_thumb.jpg

It was a little tricky getting this shot. I wanted long enough exposure for some good traffic light streaks but it ended up blowing out the sign a little. A wider lens works better for these kinds of shots but I didn't have one.

post-3-0-16911900-1370809289_thumb.jpg

I think this was 45 seconds. Taken along the 215

post-3-0-29224600-1370809290_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Eddy. That's a great shot. Did you have to create some light on the sign or did it end up getting some reflected light?

Very nice website and work! The portraits are very good quality stuff.

• Like 1

Thanks Pete. Portraits are my biggest challenge too.

That sign was a pain in the a$$. I tried about six different sources of light and different methods of "painting" it with each. I think a maglite was the one that did the trick, but I can't be sure.

I seriously need to add more pics to my site, but I have to go through and see who I have model releases from, blah blah blah... Luckily, it's all because I've been too busy shooting!

Edited by rushjunkie

Pete, what apeture setting did you use? Nice. Vegas has the best night opportunities.

Really nice portraits Eddy! Wish I could do more of those.

I'll have to pull up the exif data when I get home to be sure, but I went towards the end of 20 to try to prevent overexposure. I've never used a neutral density filter, but I wonder if that could help with the bright sign. Any thoughts?

The second shot tipped me off that you were using a small apeture. The starbust effect in the lights. That sign is just brite. The best way to solve it is to take two shots from the identical position and overlay them. Expose for the sign on one, then expose for the rest on the other. I'll do it in camera using the overlay function. You could also do it in photoshop. If you use a filter, everything on the filters dark side won't look right. Be sure to use the same apeture for both so the depth of field is the same. Also, try around F11 so that the diffraction isn't as bad. You could also do three exposures. One for the hotel lights, that way everything is perfect. Also, do this about 10 - 20 minutes after the sunset, you will have an awesome blue sky. I've done this with about six shots to get things the way I like it. Remember the Christmas photo in the dunes? That was about five. All done in camera. sh*t, giving away secrets.

I thought of trying to merge a couple different exposure shots. After some reading, I realized f/8-11 is usually the best aperture for long exposure night shots. I think I'm going to give it another try one of these nights soon. I took these around 11PM so the light in the sky was long gone. I'll go back there a little earlier next time. Thanks for the tips.