DSLR camera tips, techniques, photo sharing, etc

dunefreak

I was thinking about submitting a pic I shot in a Yosemite meadow on a challenge photo website as I looked at the pics that had been submitted thinking they looked pretty good but thought my pic would be competitive till I saw this photo. Is it just me or is this picture awesome? Wanted to share this and it shows what can be done with a camera. It was taken last September with a Canon 30D with a 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 lens.

post-1632-1242162499_thumb.jpg

That picture is outstanding.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it is rather interesting how these new DSLR's coming out have the video capture option on them. Canon and Nikon have headed down this direction making these new cameras Dual purpose (still and video HD capture).

I am old school and would rather have a high quality still camera for great picture taking and a high quality video camera to shoot video. They really are set up quite differently. But with the high quality glass on the still cameras, the picture quality is there for video also.

Anyways I ran across these guys (which I have no affiliation with what so ever) and found that some of their aftermarket products quite interesting. Just thought I would share with the other DSLR peeps. It kind of gives you a sense of what the engineers at Nikon and Canon see as there future product vision.

Check these couple demos out of what you can add to these cameras to make them video useable. Im sure other companies have products like this also. Its just the first time I have seen these.

This is there variations of hand held braces for adding stability for smooth recording of video.

http://www.zacuto.com/dslr-tactical-shooter

This particular viewfinder might be kinda fun for shooting action shots in still mode using the LCD screen.

http://www.zacuto.com/z-finder-dslr-viewfinder

Adding audio to your DLSR

http://www.zacuto.com/zound-hotshoe

Edited by 80grit

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The space station did a flyby last evening and I thought I would get the star trails it left. Since the sun was still just over the horizon I went manual and closed the apeture to about F5.6 so as to not blowout the sky. Thought I would share.

p540226228-5.jpg

p724583929-5.jpg

• 3 months later...

I took a few pics of my truck and played with the HDR mode in CS5.

Used TV mode and just changed the times on about 5 shots and merged them together. Played with a couple settings of adjustment and this is what I got. I want to try this at the beach with some clouds and see how it goes.

post-1872-1277165461_thumb.jpg

I took a few pics of my truck and played with the HDR mode in CS5.

Used TV mode and just changed the times on about 5 shots and merged them together. Played with a couple settings of adjustment and this is what I got. I want to try this at the beach with some clouds and see how it goes.

I'm no HDR junkie but I thought HDR was a combination of photos with different exposure settings vrs shutter speeds. I could be wrong since I don't use it.

I'm no HDR junkie but I thought HDR was a combination of photos with different exposure settings vrs shutter speeds. I could be wrong since I don't use it.

I read it somewhere to try just using longer and shorter shutter speeds. You might be right though since it didn't really come out as I had hoped. But my picture is really kind of plain with not to much happening in the shot. It's a cool tool to have on hand and I will keep playing with it and see what I can do with it.

I read it somewhere to try just using longer and shorter shutter speeds. You might be right though since it didn't really come out as I had hoped. But my picture is really kind of plain with not to much happening in the shot. It's a cool tool to have on hand and I will keep playing with it and see what I can do with it.

A cameras dynamic range (lightest to darkest point) has a limited # of f-stops. A good example is a scene with beach, ocean and cloudy skies still illuminated just after sunset. Expose for the still bright clouds and the ocean and beach are too dark to see detail, expose for the beach/water and the highlights are washed out with no detail. HDR (Tone Mapping) is basically 3 exposures (using bracketed exposure setting) 2 f-stops apart or using stepped shutter speeds and merge the correctly exposed parts into 1 photo. That's it basically. The old film guys used graduated neutral density filters to compress the range.

• 4 weeks later...