Took The New Rail To Pismo For My Maiden Ride!

scott

Well as some of you may know I got my first rail. Probably in over my head but that is my life story.

Pismo was a nightmare last weekend. I have a class A which hauled the toy hauler with the quads and a Suburban which my friend drove with the sand rail trailer. The Suburban had and issue where the check engine light would flash when the truck was going up a hill and would loose power.

After stopping on the way and deciding to chance it by babying the truck under load, I opted to not turn around. The truck made it to Pismo my relief. Once we got there, I realized that it was more packed with people than I have ever seen it. Got there Friday and could not find a camp site that was close enough to the packed sand that I was willing to take my Class A into.. After driving up and down the beach and getting stuck once trying to turn around, I opted to pull up along the side of the tide line and cool my jets.. I was ready to turn around at that point and head home. Camp sites with one or two campers and hundred of feet of beach roped off... Not cool. So we pulled off to the side and did not bother to unload. After making friends, we got a spot lLate Friday.

Early Saturday morning I pulled the rail out of the trailer. and took it for a first ride. Frankly I was shocked.. I have raced street bikes (Yamaha R1) at Willow Springs Raceway so I am used to fast vehicles. I also have a 68 Camoro that is pretty happy as well as owned a number of fast cars.... I have NEVER been is somthing so violently fast! :dunno::laughing:

The car us like docter Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Jeckyl is 800 RPM to 3000 RPM. Very cruisable. Hyde is 3000 RPM up... A very fast 3000 and up. It is hard to shift quick enough let alone see straight. One of my friends was too scared to get in it again. Not because I scared him with my driving but because the sound of the Turbos and engine coupled with the acceleration was too much for him.. His wife was a different story.. She loved it and went out a couple times. So we tooled around in it.. I jumped it a bunch.. Some really big jumps and was really surprised.. My first jump, I really tensed up in the air expecting a big impact and I was more than surprised by how well these cars handled the rough stuff. I hardly felt the landing. My favorite was a ridge between 2 half bowls. The ridge was at such an angle that when I took off, the right side of the was much higher than the left side which set me up for a perfect landing on the side/face of the bowl. We did it close to a dozen times. I would hit the jump in the power band of 2nd gear and fly 30-40 feet. The landings were perfectly smooth and soft every time. I could not believe it. The wife and friends wife could not get enough of it. My wife kept screaming "dukes of hazard" and my son now thinks I am Robby Gordon! Needless to say after never having even been in a sand rail before, I am more than sold... While I don't think I will take it back to Pismo I cant wait to get it to Dumont!! Those hills will be a blast. I am sooo stocked and my face still hurts from perma-grin!!! :D

That's cool you had a good time in your rail the first time out! :laughing: I remember the day when I finally brought mine out- it was awesone! I was freakin giddy and I don't have half the car you have. It was a wonderful feeling. It does take a few trips out though to get used to the car and how to drive in the dunes and on such big hills like Dumont, but it comes very easily. Just be careful when you get to Dumont. You can get up to speed real easy there (especially with your car :dunno: ). Just stay the hell away from me in the dunes until you get a couple of trips under your belt. :slap: j/k Can't wait to go duning w/ you and the new car. :thumb::thumb: Sounds like you are happy with your purchase! :grin:

Sounds like you had a complete BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My only suggestion to you about driving at Dumont, Learn how to go over the razor-backs slow at first!! I say this with experience. My first razor........I flipped it :laughing: Now I assume that your new car is a high travel car, if you have never gone over a razor-back in a big car, go SLOW at first. My friend in his new car, rolled it over not 10 minutes off the trailer. He went over and the right front tire dug in, and over he went....... :thumb: That is my two cents, so take it for what it's worth to ya. But have fun and congratulations on the new car!!!!! :thumb::dunno::thumb::slap::grin:

Would you believe that we didn't take any pics!! Frankly I wasn't expecting to really go off on the rail like I did so I was a bit ill prepared.

I cant wait to get to Dumont.. I am sure those rasor backs will be quite interesting (scary) for me.. At least the first few times. I am sure I will take it very slowly and at a good angle.. Frankly, I think I will be dependent one you guys to show me the ropes going over the rasor backs. The whole digging the front tire in is not somting I want to experience. It would seem to me that you dont want to brake going over the edge and instead, would really need to hit the gas once you are over the edge to keep the front end light and keep the car tracking down the hill.. I guess I will find that out when we get to make the Dumont runs later this year. One thing I would like to look into is a wind shield but I just dont like the idea of tearing up the powder coat on the frame where mount points would need to be added. I actually thought about doing a complete tear down and re powder coating but after looking at the wiring behind the dash, it looked like more of a nightmare than I care to dive into right now.

Funny thing is that I dont think I have laughed so hard in my life like I did when I was out in the rail.. Still can't get it out of my mind and it still keeps me smiling! I wish pismo was not the nigtmare that it is since it is so convenient for me at 160 miles away! Dumont is 230 miles but the damn 15 Fwy is a nightmare with all the bumps at every overpass between Barstow and Baker. I thought I was going to blow my tires out about every 5 minutes.

Most cars that have an afterthought windshield have cooling problems. Interupts the air flow that the cooling systen was designed for. How about a full face helmet? Or Grin and bear it like I do! :dunno:

Windshields... :beerpint:

I just don't see the reason for one. To me, a windshield takes away from the excitement factor. One of the reasons I like duning so much is because I am out in the elements. Wind in my face is great while hauling a$$ through the dunes. Everytime I open it up and the wind blows in my face I can't help but get a sh*t eatin grin on my face. :grin: :headbang: As far as the sand thing, you'll learn to drive in a manner where you get limited sand from the front tires. :thumb: You'll get sand in your face no matter what though. Hell isn't that half the reason we are out there? Sand in the Face= priceless. :laughing:

Most cars that have an afterthought windshield have cooling problems. Interupts the air flow that the cooling systen was designed for. How about a full face helmet? Or Grin and bear it like I do! :beerpint:

Great point! I completely forgot about that and I think I would have a cooling issue due to the radiator location as well as the scoop on the intercooler..

I too like the wind in my face so, I guess we just officially scrapped the wind shield idea.

Great point! I completely forgot about that and I think I would have a cooling issue due to the radiator location as well as the scoop on the intercooler..

I too like the wind in my face so, I guess we just officially scrapped the wind shield idea.

Go oldschool (goggles&bandana) :beerpint: