trans grinds when shifting

draggindre

i dont know i have had issues with this ever since i got the car but it grinds when shifting up and down i put a new slave on it just installed new throw out shaft and bearing the clutch plates look good but it still grind wtf i dont know what else it could be i have even tried not useing the clutch at all and it shifts fine no grind but the rpms have to be low any sugetstions would help

oh yea this is an early vw tran with an 1835 eng :beercheers:

I have the same problem. Changed every thing I know of. Clutch thro out pressure plate and had the tranny re done. I am thinking its the Synchro but I dont know much about that my self...Maybe we have the same problemo.

yeah maybe we do im just hopeing its something simple and i dont have to rebuild the trans.

I have the same problem. Changed every thing I know of. Clutch thro out pressure plate and had the tranny re done. I am thinking its the Synchro but I dont know much about that my self...Maybe we have the same problemo.

If the tranny was gone through the syncros should have been replaced if bad!

What kind of gear oil is in your trannies.

Definately check out the linkage and the clutch adjustment!!

I set mine at about 1 inch on the pedal before it hits the throwout bearing. It sounds to me like the clutch is not totally disengaging the tranny. To much play! IMHO.

:headbang1:

Edited by SANDAWG

If the tranny was gone through the syncros should have been replaced if bad!

What kind of gear oil is in your trannies.

Definately check out the linkage and the clutch adjustment!!

I set mine at about 1 inch on the pedal before it hits the throwout bearing. It sounds to me like the clutch is not totally disengaging the tranny. To much play! IMHO.

:laughoff:

no speical oil. what would you recomend? i just have the basic stuff from the parts store. im gonna go out and try adjusting stuff again and see what happens

Is it a rear engine car or mid?

If its a rear engine try this with your shifting linkage. Disconnect it at the trans and find neutral. Pull the rod in the trans all the way out and then makes sure its goes in just a tiny bit. (maybe a 1/4 inch or so.) that should be neutral. Try moving the car to verify this. Next loosen the shift box as it mounts to the frame of the car. Find neutral with your shifter (Centered in the shift box) the secure that back down. Make any adjustments to your shift rod as needed to hook it all back up. You might need to lengthen the rod or shorten it. Hopefully you have this adjustment built into your shift rod with a threaded piece at the rear of the shift rod. With everything all secure, verify your are able to get all gears easily with out the motor running. You can then try a road test and see if that worked for you. If your still grinding it definately sounds like a syncro issue. Does it make noises as you down shift as well?

no speical oil. what would you recomend? i just have the basic stuff from the parts store. im gonna go out and try adjusting stuff again and see what happens

Good luck on adjusting stuff! Follow BP Guys schedule for adjusting the linkage. As for oil, that probably isn't the issue unless it is out of oil. Make sure it is full. Sounds like you have that covered. When all is good I do prefer a synthetic oil for the gear box. It doesn't get thick when it is cold!

Just for grins.....look the case over real close to make sure it isn't cracked!!!

I'm with BP Guy on the syncros if all else fails!!!

Good luck, problems are a pain in the arse. I know....... I am still fighting little aggrivations with my new /used rail!!! The new Pertronics ignition took a crap already!!! Back to points and it runs great!!

Edited by SANDAWG

I had a grinding problem shifting between 2nd and 3rd. Turns out it was my shifter linkage was worn at the trans connection, that little bit of play was the problem.

Wow, forgot about that possibility. The set screw can come loose and cause problems!!! Good catch!!!