Side trips

sandawg

Going out this coming Wednesday for a couple of days and want to take some Rhino trips to sites around Dumont. Alrady have done Sperry Wash, the T and T RR south past Riggs road and east of there to some mines and shacks.

Any other places that you know about that is good to see and accessable by Rhino??? Needs to be in areas that are not out of bounds areas!

There are some good things on the other side of 127 that I have heard of but would not like to have to trailer the Rhino just to cross the hiway!

Thanks,

:surrender:

Hey , Just thought I would chime in although this place is not what your looking for because its street legal toys only. but anyway I went out to Ibex ghost town located on the west side of 127, pretty cool place if you like old mines,buildings and beautiful scenery. let me know if you want more info or just google it. personally I found it with google Earth.

I went there Jan 2nd 2010, cool place to explore, road access 4wd good clearance required, Six miles from 127 once you hit the dirt. Road well traveled I passed rangers on the way out but never saw anyone at the ghost town, not even a ghost. but lots of cool artifacts dating from 1800s to 1960

Going out this coming Wednesday for a couple of days and want to take some Rhino trips to sites around Dumont. Alrady have done Sperry Wash, the T and T RR south past Riggs road and east of there to some mines and shacks.

Any other places that you know about that is good to see and accessable by Rhino??? Needs to be in areas that are not out of bounds areas!

There are some good things on the other side of 127 that I have heard of but would not like to have to trailer the Rhino just to cross the hiway!

Thanks,

:MBdance:

Sperry Wash past Western Talc, to the Tecopa mines. The Gunsight mine via the Tecopa RR, difficult to find the RR if you don't know it's there and not exactly a high speed run but interesting none the less.

Eli

Sperry Wash past Western Talc, to the Tecopa mines. The Gunsight mine via the Tecopa RR, difficult to find the RR if you don't know it's there and not exactly a high speed run but interesting none the less.

Eli

Several years ago I went up Sperry Wash to the mine and beyond up some good roads but I think I remember the rangers telling me that those roads are now closed to all but registered street legal vehicles. Am I mistaken???

Several years ago I went up Sperry Wash to the mine and beyond up some good roads but I think I remember the rangers telling me that those roads are now closed to all but registered street legal vehicles. Am I mistaken???

Legally I think most roads in CA gravel or otherwise are closed to everything but street legal vehicles. Western Talc Rd. is an exception. A lot of ATV traffic on Furnace Creek Road at the end of Western Talc Rd. It's gravel at that point and less than a mile to Upper Noonday camp where you turn east to the Tecopa mines. A lot of ATV traffic up there too. The mines themselves are private property so Mr. Ranger can't say :poop: but be respectful.

Get the glasses out at the Columbia Mine and look north and you will see a different trail around the hill back to Furnace Creek Rd. You should be able to find the Tecopa RR at the Columbia but I haven't found it yet. A couple miles to the other branch of the Tecopa RR and follow that to the Gunsight. You still aren't to the China Ranch turnoff. Furnace Creek Rd. likely isn't legal itself so just get off it ASAP. I'd hope Inyo county views things differently than San Bernardino. Can't legally get to Riggs from Dumont anymore either.

I'm not sure how people are getting to China Ranch these days except on Furnace Creek Rd. I don't take a ATV in there out of respect for the owners but it may be mis-guided as $$$ may be $$$. Some day I'll ask them.

Not to give away one of my favorite spots but I've never seen a LEO. I can go to Dumont or I can go to the mines or I can go to the hot springs. Did lose a couple of tires on Furnace Creek Rd. New Years but that can happen anywhere. Other campers were very respectful even asked it we minded if they shot off fireworks which of course we didn't. Still didn't see a LEO they must all be at Dumont :D

Eli

is there a way to get from Dumont to the China Date Ranch? I have been to the date ranch years ago (GREAT DATE Shakes) just curious

Hasn't been legal up Sperry wash since 1974 but a lot of people did it. More difficult since BLM cabled the wash at Sperry in about 2002. About 5 miles from Western Talc Rd to the China Ranch turnoff via Furnace Creek Rd. Not that is legal either.

Eli