King of the Hammers

BIG DAVE XP1K

Where in the world do they hold those races at. King of the Hammers looks like a great spectater sport. :ahhhhh:

They hold it somewhere between barstow and victorville I can find out exactly where

I do know I am going to make plans to next year. It is a race and this is just a small part of the course. there are sections where they haul some serious a$$ also. Ill get more details and share as soon as I know when and where the next one is held :peeps:

My pops was there on Friday prior to coming to dune on Saturday. He showed me some crazy azz pictures from the race. Part cross country race part rock climbing event. They hiked 2 miles up into the canyon to scope some of the rock climbing portion he said it was the craziest thing he's ever seen. The spectators can stand within feet of these Jeeps while they climb through the washes. When they roll the drunkin crowd jumps in and helps flip the Jeep back over while the remaining competitors are still squeezing through the canyon. He said the Jeeps literally drive over each other if ones rolled over and in the way. :thumb:

Spectators climb up the canyon to perch up high and get a good view. He said at one point a rock got knocked down the canyon wall and busted some dudes head wide open. :ahhhhh: He also said the best part of the day was watching the people hike down the canyon all drunkered after the race. Pure comedy!

I think i'll stick to the sand.

I am glad you posted this. Lou B was telling me about this last weekend and I could not remember the name of the race. Looks bad arse. I will have to check it out next time around. :thumb:

DDR members should get together and plan a trip down next year

It would be a great prequil to Presidents Day 2011 Anyone intrested in such a trip? :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :ahhhhh:

This is right out of our back door. Well 30-40 minutes away, but there is much much more to do than rock crawling. Like I said, it's the largest OHV park in America, some smaller dunes, lots and lots of trails and old mining roads, tons of open desert riding without the worry of rocks in most places, and some killer washes that you can run five or six quads wide WOT throttle and have room to manuver without running into one another. And of course killer canyons and boulders if that's what you enjoy.

And by all means if you go obey the Marine Corps base boundry signs. Would suck to get run over by an M1A1 tank!

is there a specefic site for this OHV park..

JV Dune Guide

JV Dirtopia

JV DesertUSA

JV BLM

Here are just a few, many more are out there. Google will list many. I won't go into it all here but you might want to enjoy this beautiful sooner rather than later. The United States Marine Corps wants/needs this area for live fire training and I willl just leave it at that.

Edited by aceisback

better enjoy it while you can. chuck shaner and a bunch of other victor valley 4 wheelers built those trails and now the gubmint is trying to close it off to expand the marine? base. some of the toughest rock crawlin' in the country.....then when king of hammers is done with it we gotta go out and fix all those trails they spit all those rocks out of with their 42 inch tires.

DDR members should get together and plan a trip down next year

It would be a great prequil to Presidents Day 2011 Anyone intrested in such a trip? :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :peeps: :rockwoot:

The video was great to watch, but it would be the best to see the race in person. I'm in Big Dave. Sounds like a fun weekend. :clap:

better enjoy it while you can. chuck shaner and a bunch of other victor valley 4 wheelers built those trails and now the gubmint is trying to close it off to expand the marine? base. some of the toughest rock crawlin' in the country.....then when king of hammers is done with it we gotta go out and fix all those trails they spit all those rocks out of with their 42 inch tires.

I heard this was done with and instead of expanding west which would have restricted the hammer trails they are gona expand east..... Well, Johnson Valley is a great place to go, VERY LARGE enough to get lost in, has plenty of dry lake beds, dry toilets in places, plenty of places to get into trouble. Im only 20 min away and do most of my riding there. :rockwoot:

our club has a hammer trails event in oct or sept every year and i trailbossed for fissure mountain at the 2009 event. i haven't heard a word about any "all clear, everythings ok" on this so i doubt what you say is true....anyone wanting to check this link can see for themselves http://savejohnsonvalley.org/ i'm pretty sure i would have heard something but i admittedly am not keeping close tabs on it....i enjoy rock-crawlin', but not THAT serious about it....all i'm sayin' is it was lookin pretty bleak when i attended a BLM meeting a few months ago.

It's no where near a done deal with the expansion going east and south vice the west/JV option. I'll put it like this, rocks put up alot less resistance than families with homes, which is what Wonder Valley is full of to the east and south...

While the uproar has quieted down somewhat the idea of expansion to the west is nowhere near being shelved.